The Student Room Group

LNAT tomorrow: question about essay

Hi,

Does anyone know about the essay. It says one must write a well-balanced article. This seems rather stupid given that articles are surely to present one opinion, rarely do people write in one article, for example, ' Hitler was a tyrant, killing millions of Jews. But he did improve the economy'.

Please any comments, appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Of course you can present both views, and any decent academic commentary would not be blind to the counter-arguments and would outline them and their pros before rebutting them with negatives rather than simply ignoring them. Sometimes their rebuttal will fail because others rebutt it on the grounds that the rebuttal is weak, if you catch my drift!
Reply 2
Sure but this is a short article. Try reading some articles in the independent or the times, they rarely offer two sides to an argument. and the first reply is complete balls. you av gone to 'on balance' in one step, rather foolish really
It is by means of an example, stop criticising those trying to help you.

They do not want journalists, they want academic writers. Journalists are too politically influenced.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
They do not want journalists, they want academic writers.

:congrats:
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Journalists are too politically influenced.

See the 'Torygraph', for a good example.
Lol I like the term torygraph, but let's be honest ... it's no Daily Mail!
Raoul
Sure but this is a short article. Try reading some articles in the independent or the times, they rarely offer two sides to an argument. and the first reply is complete balls. you av gone to 'on balance' in one step, rather foolish really

She is not going to write a whole article for you. You are the fool if cannot even see that. Anyway, she was going to discuss X, Y, Z, wally, making it much longer. It is a number of years since I was 18 but you appear rather immature.
Reply 7
Raoul

If you have such wisdom on how to answer the LNAT essays, why have you asked about it on here?
Reply 8
The same reason why historians consult other historians in respect of research methods, etc.
Actually this did cross my mind too, Ethereal. Besides, even if one believes it is 'stupid' to offer both sides, surely what LNAT says goes.
Reply 10
Raoul
The same reason why historians consult other historians in respect of research methods, etc.

Sadly, they are generally qualified to pass comment. If you are sitting the LNAT one can only assume you are not even at undergrad level. It is, therefore, ill advised for you to criticise the advice of people with Degrees.
My understanding of answering the essay questions in the LNAT is that you are strongly encouraged to argue more than one point of view and that you should come to a valid conclusion.
Importantly, in the main body of your answer you should argue why one side is right and the weaknesses of one or more other points of view.
LauraWalker
Superdillion is spot on here I think

:biggrin: I've never been more attracted to you in my life, LW :biggrin:
Reply 13
Raoul
' Hitler was a tyrant, killing millions of Jews. But he did improve the economy'.

Quite the contrary... I believe I was given an essay revolving around the economic merits of the Nazi regime contrasted with the social atrocities...

Writing a totally one-sided argument is passionate and can sound really persuasive, but ignoring brilliant counter-arguments is kind of naive.

It's always worth addressing (and then squishing) your counter-arguments.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Jo xxxx
At school we were told that in order to make a balanced conclusion you have to consider the arguments on both sides. If you write about one side of the argument only then you are not demonstrating that you can actualy draw a proper conclusion considering all the facts (which is a required skill). This was the affirmed by our lecturers at the outset of the degree and on several occasions since then.

The above is what tests your analytical skills (which is what I have always understood to be the purpose of the LNAT.)
Got my LNAT tomorrow!! In the essa, do you have to be more pphilosphic, based on assumptions, or on the contrary use solid examples from current affairs? and how would you go about a question that asks " how to appoint judges?" I saw that on the sample, and was freaked out!!! help please!!!
Reply 16
Just a minor point, a degree, unless from Oxbridge is of no value these days. Please stop the rhetoric, it is petty and childish.
Raoul
Just a minor point, a degree, unless from Oxbridge is of no value these days. Please stop the rhetoric, it is petty and childish.

Well in fact I am applying to Cambridge and i dont see whats petty and childish about asking for advice:eek:
Reply 18
you won't get in; you struggle to even understand the complexity of this thread
LauraWalker
Just ignore him Metaphysical. I have a scholarship from Oxford and he thinks that I am foolish. The forum needs more moderation at the moment.

Thanx:biggrin: ...
I will just ignore his comment and see how HE gets in:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending