The Student Room Group

Gap Year

It's looking like I'm gonna get 4 rejections this year my stats are
Gcse- 10A*1A
AS-4As and predicted 3A*1A

I just don't know what sort of thing I should be occupying myself with next year, will probably apply to Oxford next year, can anyone help with suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
do anything just don't piss about doing nothing. travelling is good. of you want to be keen reflect on why you failed to get in this time round. consider getting more work experience etc. Your main objective if your serious about med should be how will it benefit you when it comes to applying next year.

But in all honesty doesn't matter what you do as long as you can say that you learnt something useful in the year off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try to get a job as a HCA. You could work for 8 months and travel for 4 or something if the thought of working for the whole year doesn't appeal, but that kind of work will look excellent on your application, and it will also do you a thousand favours down the line when it comes to your clinical years - it's a massive confidence booster when you start placements if you're already familiar with the ward environment and - more importantly - if you're used to interacting with patients and families. It's also a great ice-breaker if you want to get the nurses onside later on - they tend to like you a lot more if they know you have some practical understanding of what an awesome job they do. :smile:
I wanna try get a job as a HCA but don't have any previous work exp
I'm 18 btw
What do you reccomend I do? Do u think I have a shot

Posted from TSR Mobile
honestly just do some volunteer work. it doesn't matter if you don't get a oh in healthcare. I worked at car phone warehouse for a year in my gap year and just did some volunteer work in the side

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Darab_1496
I wanna try get a job as a HCA but don't have any previous work exp
I'm 18 btw
What do you reccomend I do? Do u think I have a shot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, when I did it you didn't need to have previous work experience - now I think they tend to expect volunteer experience (e.g. in a nursing home) before they'll take you on as a HCA. As the other poster said, it's not essential or anything, but it will definitely improve your application having something like that on it. :smile:
Original post by *pitseleh*
Yeah, when I did it you didn't need to have previous work experience - now I think they tend to expect volunteer experience (e.g. in a nursing home) before they'll take you on as a HCA. As the other poster said, it's not essential or anything, but it will definitely improve your application having something like that on it. :smile:

Sweet
Yh the previous experience thing is annoying but I've got volunteering at st George's lined up, jus need to take the references to the lady in charge of volunteers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'm currently on a gap year because I got rejected last year. I'm working as a lab technician at my old school and am going to start volunteering at my local hospital in the new year. I've got an offer from Plymouth already so it's definitely worthwhile. Don't think that the universities want you to do a job that's directly involved with medicine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending