The Student Room Group
stanny
hey guys... im having my first gs exam on may 19... i have the syllabus but its a bit vague... dont really konw what to do now

If you really want to revise for it, then there's some revision guides you can get from WHSmith or Waterstones (or just any bookstore really)...i think there is a Lett's gs revision guide for about £10
Reply 2
man im scared ill get like AAAAU for AS... are those guides gd enough to get me a C in er... 10 days?
stanny
man im scared ill get like AAAAU for AS... are those guides gd enough to get me a C in er... 10 days?

Go ahead and get the AAAAU...because really GS counts for very little...especially if you're going to get 4As anyway. Most unis dont accept gs as an A-level. Im not really sure those guides help at all, because a general studies exam is kinda quite unpredictable.
Reply 4
btw if i get a U, does it show up on the certificate?
Reply 5
stanny

I don't know what exam board you're on, but AQA have a lot of past papers which might be good to go through.

I have my GS exam in 10 days too - I've had hardly any lessons on it (due to timetable problems) - So I'm just going to look through past papers.

I'm sure one of the papers will be easy depending on your subjects.

Good luck in it!
Reply 6
yea... and hardest bit is probably the essay questions... man im gonna loadsa crap... im practicing my speed writing..
Reply 7
stanny
btw if i get a U, does it show up on the certificate?

if you accept it, it will show up. but you can decline the grade completely or decline and resit it
Reply 8
I think it's cool that you want to revise for general studies, but don't do this at the expense of your other subjects as they are far more important. If you're an intelligent person, you'll get a good grade with very little effort.
Reply 9
i would say don't bother- if you're going to get As in the others, chances are you have enough common sense etc. to get you an ok grade. and if you decline it cos you do badly no one will care, very few unis base offers on it. don't let your worries about general studies get in the way of your other exams.

lou xxx
Reply 10
I got AAAAC and am dissapointed I even got a C, I wanted at least a D.

The answer to your question is simple - you don't revise for general studies.
Reply 11
The BBC have a website for gen.studies revision http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/asguru/generalstudies/intro.shtml
Reply 12
lou p
i would say don't bother- if you're going to get As in the others, chances are you have enough common sense etc. to get you an ok grade. and if you decline it cos you do badly no one will care, very few unis base offers on it. don't let your worries about general studies get in the way of your other exams.

lou xxx

but the situation is... im in hong kong... and im taking a british exam which is a country which i dont pay much attention to...
Reply 13
Keep watching the news until the exam then.
Reply 14
stanny
but the situation is... im in hong kong... and im taking a british exam which is a country which i dont pay much attention to...

Heh, I never know what's going on in the country and I still got a C. You just have to be left wing in your exam answers.
stanny
hey guys... im having my first gs exam on may 19... i have the syllabus but its a bit vague... dont really konw what to do now

Just do a past paper before the exam, but no1 gives a toss about General Studies. You can' really revise it anyway, it is general knowledge. You can't suddenly improve your maths/science/writing skills in a week.
i really wouldn't worry about general studies. i got an A for my AS and did no revision what so ever. the main thing is that you write clearly and put your arguments across in a legitimate way. as for the science/maths paper, that's just a joke, i hadnt done a science or maths subject for 2 years yet got full UMS marks (please don't think i'm bragging, i'm by no means overly intelligent i'm just trying to show how easy it really is), the whole paper was just basically common sense.
Reply 17
dont bother revising for general studies - it is useless
Reply 18
There's no point studying for the general studies exam. You can't predict the questions and stuff. You can practice pass papers though.
Reply 19
VoodooDoll
i really wouldn't worry about general studies. i got an A for my AS and did no revision what so ever. the main thing is that you write clearly and put your arguments across in a legitimate way. as for the science/maths paper, that's just a joke, i hadnt done a science or maths subject for 2 years yet got full UMS marks (please don't think i'm bragging, i'm by no means overly intelligent i'm just trying to show how easy it really is), the whole paper was just basically common sense.

Hehe, I hadn't done maths and science for 2 years and got 37/100 :wink: It didn't help that the whole time throughout the exam I was thinking 'I don't care, get me out of here, I don't care,' though! :biggrin:

Latest