The Student Room Group

Help -GCSE equivalence

Hello! My name is Mihnea and right now i am in grade 10 in a private school in Romania(romanian curriculum).Next year i intend to go to study A levels in the UK because i think my application for medicine will be stronger than the romanian baccalaureate.The problem is that most medicine universities ask for certain gcse grades(igcse) besides A levels.I didn t took igcse's but i covered in school all the curriculum topics. Do you know what are the gcse's equivalent for the romanian system? Can i take A levels and when it comes to the igcse's grades just show a transcript of the grades from the years previous to A levels?This information is really important to me because if it doesn t exist an equivalent for the igcse i am going to take the ib that doesn t let me concentrate on the sciences as much as A levels let you.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Mih144
Hello! My name is Mihnea and right now i am in grade 10 in a private school in Romania(romanian curriculum).Next year i intend to go to study A levels in the UK because i think my application for medicine will be stronger than the romanian baccalaureate.The problem is that most medicine universities ask for certain gcse grades(igcse) besides A levels.I didn t took igcse's but i covered in school all the curriculum topics. Do you know what are the gcse's equivalent for the romanian system? Can i take A levels and when it comes to the igcse's grades just show a transcript of the grades from the years previous to A levels?This information is really important to me because if it doesn t exist an equivalent for the igcse i am going to take the ib that doesn t let me concentrate on the sciences as much as A levels let you.

Thank you!

I don't see why you would do the IB instead of A-levels if your Romanian exams are deemed not to be equivalent to GCSEs? IB is the same level as A-levels, it won't replace GCSEs. It's something you'll need to ask individual med schools because their responses will differ. If necessary you can just arrange to do the most crucial GCSEs/IGCSEs (English, Maths, Sciences) while doing A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending