The Student Room Group

Has/Is anybody taking their Driving Lessons with the AA?

My main gripe with the AA isn't the price but if they're more interested in being good salesman than instructors.

So, I've done 20 hours, doing 3 maybe 4 lessons a month. Automatic transmission.

Here's my concern: In the 20 hours of driving I have done, I have only done 1 Manouver: 3 Point Turn.

I haven't done Hill Starts, Parralel Parking, Perpindicular Parking, Emergency Stops, Reversing around bends or much reversing at all. I only went on a 40mph Dual carrigeway on my last lesson? Is this normal or very slow progress? A lot of other AA users have told me they feel the same, that they're feel they're agressive salesman.

I'm seriously considering changinf my driver. When I first started (1st lesson) he said the minimum is 40 hours. Now I've done 20, I asked him if I need 20 more? His reply was ' I dunno, i'll tell you when you're ready '. Then tried to tell me I need to do 'More Junctions' when I've done Junctions for hours with no problems!? What do I do?

I live in SE London and drive around SW London fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sounds like they're milking you for cash.
I haven't done automatic lessons myself but if instructor is saying '<number of hours> you need for minimum' then that's a red alert straight away. Each learner is different and they learn at different pace, you cannot just say 'minimum of that many hours'. I have completed learning to drive a manual in 36 hours and I heard that learning to drive an automatic is much easier, so I don't see why it would take you 40 hours minimum
Reply 3
Original post by Suldok
I haven't done automatic lessons myself but if instructor is saying '

Got a new instructor!!!
Reply 4
I used to receive lessons from AA. I won a competition to get 20 free lessons but he took me out for 10 - 2 hour lessons (odd for instructors around my area) and I know he wasted them so I could begin paying. I would do a maneuver for about 15-20 mins of each lesson and drive for the rest of the 2 hour lesson. I suppose it improved my general driving but I he would move onto a different maneuver each lesson even if I wasn't all that good at the previous despite telling him. Also, as the 20 free lessons were coming to an end, he booked me in for another 3 which would have to be paid but didn't tell me this and never ever mentioned theory to me. I really don't recommend anyone going with AA - they're really just out for your money, quite expensive also!
I went with the AA and I had no problems! I also did my Pass Plus course with them too. I ended up paying my instructor directly though and got the lessons for a cheaper price
Reply 6
Original post by Louise_01
I went with the AA and I had no problems! I also did my Pass Plus course with them too. I ended up paying my instructor directly though and got the lessons for a cheaper price

How many hours did you do before passing?
Original post by Catholic_
How many hours did you do before passing?

Around 40 hours in total! 😊
I was with an AA instructor in Glasgow. Not teaching well, not giving sufficient information, causing me to fail several times. The most incredible thing is that he washed his car on my way to the test center. On the way, he, again and again, promised me that would arrive on time. Eventually, we arrived 2 mins late, making me a bad guy in front of the examiner. What a shame for AA to appoint these irresponsible instructors!
Some instructors tend to only teach manoeuvres closer to your test or very late on in lessons. I didn't learn parallel parking until around hour 36. If you're not happy, change instructor, I don't know why people ask us how they should spend their money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending