The Student Room Group

To minor or not to minor that is the question.

Hey guys. So I'm trying to get ahead of myself by looking into University ideas now while I'm still in my first year of A-Levels, but I can't make a few decisions.

I want to do Creative Writing or English at Uni (Recommendation as to which is better to take?) and I don't know whether to minor in Publishing or not.

I want to be an Editor when I finally finish up with schooling, and so therefore, the Publishing field is where I want to look. But I don't know if it'll be easier to just take a major, or to do publishing along with it?

Of course, not all universities offer Publishing, which is a little bit easier on my decision - but I guess I was just looking for some opinions and so help with deciding?

And also if there were any pros and cons with minoring a subject, compared to doing one singular major subject.
It's entirely up to which you'd prefer.
I'm doing straight English literature when I start (I'm in year 13)
I had to similar dilemma with English and psychology but decided to go straight for English.
The minor would help for editing but look at the entry requirements and look up jobs to see what requirements they need.
Do some research, ask around then form an opinion.
Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pros of minoring
More specific
Could be advantageous in jobs
More diversity
Wider knowledge

Cons of minoring
Could be limiting job wise
Have to be under two departments

Pros of singular
Opens many doors