The Student Room Group

Healthy Eating

I've been thinking that I really want to improve my body functioning etc and add more nutrition into my diet, but don't really know how/what. I live a very hectic life so it's hard to stop and prepare meals and such, so my diet usually consists of cereal, sandwiches, noodles, beans and whatever else is quick in my house. I'd like to know realistic meals I could make and what's healthier. Also, I want to add 5 portions of fruit into my diet too. The most I have is an apple a day and 4-5 juice cartons daily. I'm sure this can't be very healthy!

Any ideas..?
Reply 1
Are you male or female?
Reply 2
Male
Reply 3
Ok, start with smallish things, like completely cut out white bread, have brown bread instead. Make sure all the cereals you have are healthy options, ie. fruit and fibre, bran flakes, that kinda thing, rather than coco puffs. In terms of hecticness it may be worth making a big batch of something healthy that you can freeze, at the weekend or something. So eg. make a biig thing of chillie and freeze individual portions (make sure the rice you have with it is brown rice though). My fave easy meal is a stir fry, get loads of chopped veg, a tin of tuna and some dark soy sauce, dead healthy lots of veg and lots of protein, tasty too! Other ways to get veg into you're diet could be vegetable soups instead of noodles, keep tinned soups, v quick v tasty plus vegetables! Errr not sure what else, hope that helps.
Reply 4
Id just like to ask why you felt you had to post this anonymously. I need a better diet and im willing to admit it :smile:.
Reply 5
^Because I don't like my eating habits.

Thanks for the advice squigaletta.
Reply 6
I agree with the cooking things in big batches thing. At uni I'm finding that's the only way I actually eat half decent stuff. Make enough for at least two portions and either eat the other half of it the next day or stick it in the freezer.

As has been mentioned, always eat brown bread, brown rice, brown pasta, etc - much healthier than the refined, white versions.

If you snack, try to snack on fruit and nuts. Nuts and raisins are great, they keep for ages so just fill a tuppaware container full of them to snack on.

Drink skimmed milk instead of semi/full fat as it's lower in fat and apparently higher in calcium.

Watch the juice cartons you're drinking - some of them are packed full of sugar, make sure you get the ones that are pure fruit juice.

For easy lunches at the moment I'm really into tinned soups. The WeightWatchers ones are amazing (3 for £1 at Asda at the moment) - they cook in about a minute and a half and each can is one portion so there's no thinking required. Soup with some wholemeal bread followed by fruit is a really quick but healthy lunch.
Reply 7
pm me!
I started eating healthly a yr ago.
Reply 8
When you go food shopping, dont even go down the junk food isles and you wont be tempted by all the high sugar, high fat foods. Instead, loiter in the fruit and veg department
Reply 9
sophierw
When you go food shopping, dont even go down the junk food isles and you wont be tempted by all the high sugar, high fat foods. Instead, loiter in the fruit and veg department

A better idea would be to make a shopping list before you go, and then go and get those things and those things only.

Also, don't go shopping when you're hungry, you'll be more likely to be tempted by tasty things.
I think I'm a sadist, I go to the sweet things isle and then congratulate myself for being able to leave without buying any...wierd?
Reply 11
squigaletta
I think I'm a sadist, I go to the sweet things isle and then congratulate myself for being able to leave without buying any...wierd?

Do you mean masochist?
Whoops, yeh I do, I'm only sadistic when I take my friends along and stop them buying nice stuff too :P. I so stupid.

Latest

Trending

Trending