The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ubisoft
For essay subjects I think 88% should be fine. For STEM if you have less than 93% your chances are very slim

Yeah it's only one module, my average econ ums is 96 and double maths average is 96 so not feeling too bad about it
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You have got to be kidding me.

I am literally less than a hundred metres away from living in a Quintile with lowest entry... Apparently I live in the highest category :colonhash: bull****

I live with chavs on a ****ty Street, stupid postcode... Could have had a flag there

My gcse school doesn't have data available for grades though I don't think so can't see if it's sub 40. Although I'm pretty sure it is

Do you only get a red flag if you live in a quintile 1 area?
Original post by whatacrydonnie
Do you only get a red flag if you live in a quintile 1 area?

Again from http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_4.html

"Flag type 2: socio-economic

Flag if an applicant's home postcode is in the bottom two POLAR3 categories, i.e. they are from a Low Participation Neighbourhood for the purposes of our OFFA Agreement, or in the second lowest Quintile. The POLAR3 Quintile will be presented showing Quintile 1 in bold, Quintile 2 in non-bold and leaving the POLAR3 column blank for Quintiles 3, 4 and 5.

Flag if an applicant's home postcode is in one of Output Area Classification (OAC) super-groups 1-5 or sub-groups 7a1, 6c2 and 4c1, i.e. they are likely to be members of groups from which we currently receive fewer than half the undergraduate applications that we might expect."

POLAR3 map
http://www.hefce.ac.uk/whatwedo/wp/ourresearch/polar/mapofyoungparticipationareas/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Ah, hold on I'm wrong...

"De-selection decisions should be made in consultation with the relevant Director(s) of Studies, with the ultimate decision resting with the Admissions Tutor."

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_4.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strictly speaking that is dealing with decisions not to interview rather than decisions not to make an offer after interview. But the name "admissions tutor" presumably answers the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Again from http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_4.html

"Flag type 2: socio-economic

Flag if an applicant's home postcode is in the bottom two POLAR3 categories, i.e. they are from a Low Participation Neighbourhood for the purposes of our OFFA Agreement, or in the second lowest Quintile. The POLAR3 Quintile will be presented showing Quintile 1 in bold, Quintile 2 in non-bold and leaving the POLAR3 column blank for Quintiles 3, 4 and 5.

Flag if an applicant's home postcode is in one of Output Area Classification (OAC) super-groups 1-5 or sub-groups 7a1, 6c2 and 4c1, i.e. they are likely to be members of groups from which we currently receive fewer than half the undergraduate applications that we might expect."

POLAR3 map
http://www.hefce.ac.uk/whatwedo/wp/ourresearch/polar/mapofyoungparticipationareas/

Thank you, that was really helpful! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
So does a blue point correspond to a rejection?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep :smile:
Reply 586
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I'm about 99% sure that you get a flag if your school has produced fewer than 5 Oxbridge students (successful) in the last 5 years. I definitely heard that here, because I remember asking my head of sixth.

Do you think it also applies to schools outside the UK?
My school has never had an Oxbridge student!
Does anyone know if and when Christ's sends offer emails? I live abroad and our mail is the definition of snail mail... I don't think I could cope with having to wait for a letter to arrive!
Reply 588
Original post by julkass
Do you think it also applies to schools outside the UK?
My school has never had an Oxbridge student!

Doesn't, otherwise nearly all EU/overseas applicants would get a type 3 flag regardless of school quality
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 589
Original post by aworldalone
Are most people who have been fished from the pool re-interviewed? Or are most of them just given a straight offer?

What is the deciding factor on whether you are re-interviewed or not?

I was reinterviewed as were all other natscis pooled to robinson

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lets do dis :
Back to school today, need to get up in less than 5 hours, cannot sleep because Cambridge anxiety. Uuuurgh.
Reply 592
Anybody here from the U.S.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
Hi, Is anyone here applying for Law at Sidney?:cool:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Edg147
Anybody here from the U.S.?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am! You too?
Reply 595
Yeah. What course/college did you apply for?
Original post by Littlebird5
Does anyone know if and when Christ's sends offer emails? I live abroad and our mail is the definition of snail mail... I don't think I could cope with having to wait for a letter to arrive!

From 12th
Right school, let's be getting on with ya
Anyone else not bricking it?

It's really bad because it must mean I think I'm in :rofl: I think it's because I'm not thinking about it, because I know if I get a rejection I'll be devastated...

But yeah, I'm cool beans (so far...) we'll see what happens over the next couple of days :mmm:
We will have to wait the whole day at school on Friday to find out. That is what annoys me - it will just be sitting at home waiting to be opened. Luckily for me I'm not too fussed right now. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending