The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
_Hayko
Yes, I don't get what all the fuss was about.

The fuss about the rating? I don't think it was the attempted rape scene that the BBFC had an issue with...somehow I think it was the sex, OTT, glorified violence and the swearing that got their goat...

Regardless...being a complete Watchmen n00b, I went in uninitiated and thought it was a fantastic film. Stylish direction, good performances, fantastic special effects and a genuinely engaging story. Is the ending really different from the graphic novel? Because I thought the ending of the film - barring that bizarre epilogue with the newspaper, the significance of which totally eluded me - was fan-flipping-tastic: unrelenting, shocking and it tied up pretty much every possible loose end.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 781
channy
No where near as good as the graphic novel. The rape scene was a let down (not that I'm into that kind of stuff). In the film it made it out like it wasn't, but it was. Imo it tried to be too...shiney (?). It wasn't gritty enough. AND they changed what happened with the murderer of the 6 year old girl.

Rorsach's outfit was too clean. Music was good though - like to hear hendrix, dylan and garfunkel. Didn't recognise the song for the credits though.

I think I might read it again. All in all an enjoyable film.

it was a my chemical romance cover of desolation row by bob dylan
Reply 782
ieuano
it was a my chemical romance cover of desolation row by bob dylan

Ah, good song...but I hate my chemical romance. Hendrix/S&G/Dylan would have been all better for the ending credits imo.
Reply 783
Tufts
Is the rape scene as brutal as I've heard?

i just got back from seeing it.. trust me, the rape seen isn't what you should be worried about... its alot more graphic. I'm 18.. but still think it was x-rated for my eyes. :eek3:

oh and i was watching it innocently... then my friends started giggling. I was like what...and then on the next scene i realised the blue guy was stark naked :/ (but blue)

However, good film.. pretty clever...did have the wow factor for me though.
Reply 784
I saw it last night and it was pretty good

I liked the soundtrack!
Reply 785
_Hayko
I wasn't like a hardcore fan of Watchmen before, just saw a trailer and it looked interesting. Personally I enjoyed it, although I don't think it was as 'epic' as some people were making it out to be with all the hype. It was just a decent film.

ditto i agree... but some of the scenes were too graphic for me :/ ..ooh ooh did you see nixon's nose.. it looked pretty fake
Jayk
The fuss about the rating? I don't think it was the attempted rape scene that the BBFC had an issue with...somehow I think it was the sex, OTT, glorified violence and the swearing that got their goat...

Regardless...being a complete Watchmen n00b, I went in uninitiated and thought it was a fantastic film. Stylish direction, good performances, fantastic special effects and a genuinely engaging story. Is the ending really different from the graphic novel? Because I thought the ending of the film - barring that bizarre epilogue with the newspaper, the significance of which totally eluded me - was fan-flipping-tastic: unrelenting, shocking and it tied up pretty much every possible loose end.

The final scene (in the newspaper office) was the same, but Veidt's plot to prevent nuclear war is not the same. I'd suggest reading the GN to find out how that ended, because it's quite difficult to explain in a short paragraph without missing out something important. All I can say is that in the GN, his plan makes it seem to the world as if an alien threat destroyed NYC, not Dr. Manhattan. Another difference is that NYC is the only place destroyed in the GN, unless I'm forgetting something.

The scene at the newspaper firm would have been more significant if the earlier newspaper scenes had been included, as they were in the GN. When Rorschach first sends his journal to them, there a short scene in which the editor puts it amongst his junk mail, failing to comprehend its significance. At that point, the war was still imminent, leaving no room for trivial articles in his newspaper.

The implication was that the publication of Rorschach's journal could completely undo Veidt's plan by revealing that he was behind it rather than Dr. Manhattan. After indicting the blame on Dr. Manhattan, the lack of anything to write about gives way for 'trivial' news, ergo, Rorschach's journal is uncovered to fill the newspaper with garbage, incriminating Veidt and re-fuelling the hostility between the USA and the USSR.

Without the earlier scenes, I can see why it might have had less impact than it could've done. The director's cut is supposedly 190 minutes long, so those scenes might be included when it comes out.
Reply 787
Gelliant Gutfright
The final scene (in the newspaper office) was the same, but Veidt's plot to prevent nuclear war is not the same. I'd suggest reading the GN to find out how that ended, because it's quite difficult to explain in a short paragraph without missing out something important. All I can say is that in the GN, his plan makes it seem to the world as if an alien threat destroyed NYC, not Dr. Manhattan. Another difference is that NYC is the only place destroyed in the GN, unless I'm forgetting something.

The scene at the newspaper firm would have been more significant if the earlier newspaper scenes had been included, as they were in the GN. When Rorschach first sends his journal to them, there a short scene in which the editor puts it amongst his junk mail, failing to comprehend its significance. At that point, the war was still imminent, leaving no room for trivial articles in his newspaper.

The implication was that the publication of Rorschach's journal could completely undo Veidt's plan by revealing that he was behind it rather than Dr. Manhattan. After indicting the blame on Dr. Manhattan, the lack of anything to write about gives way for 'trivial' news, ergo, Rorschach's journal is uncovered to fill the newspaper with garbage, incriminating Veidt and re-fuelling the hostility between the USA and the USSR.

Without the earlier scenes, I can see why it might have had less impact than it could've done. The director's cut is supposedly 190 minutes long, so those scenes might be included when it comes out.

Ah, right! Now I get it :biggrin: And I'm *ahem* 'acquiring' the GN as we speak...
Reply 788
Okay, another fairly specific question: internet access, how much? (If there's a place where I could be finding all this information and I'm just being really stupid, please don't hesitate to fling me there... I've looked at the prospectus on emma.cam.ac.uk but it is rather vague in parts!)
I've just got back from watching it and I really enjoyed it. I haven't read the graphic novel/comic version but my mate who I went with has and he enjoyed the film. To repeat what others have said, it has an excellent soundtrack, I was really impressed with some of the music played. Definitely recommend watching it. (I know I'm not the greatest film reviewer in the world!)
I must say that was one of the best films I've seen in a long while.

Some of the musical choices were inspired, some of them somewhat questionable. There was a dilinear element that required a reasonable amount of concentration, but overall it was a really great film.

"Oh, he tried it on Rorschach and he dropped him down an elevator shaft"

Epic cinema.
Reply 791
I saw it last night, thought it was great, loved when the guys arms got chopped off, sad when the little girl was getting eaten by those dogs though!
Just got back and I loved it! Is it bad I now have a bit of a thing for John? I'm definitely interested in reading the graphic novel and would watch the film again.

Spoiler

Reply 793
xoxo_GossipGirl
Just got back and I loved it! Is it bad I now have a bit of a thing for John? I'm definitely interested in reading the graphic novel and would watch the film again.

Spoiler

Spoiler

ive read the graphic novel, it was brilliant and i felt the movie was brilliant too. basically it was how i expected it to be, and im so so pleased that a FAN directed it. you could FEEL his love for the source material throughout. I'm also glad that they didnt sanitise any of the characters or their actions too much for mass audiences.

favourite bits- the "re-writing" of history at the start and John's origin, which was SO beautifully done. i found myself holding my breath at certain parts, it was visually magnificent. also, everything Rorschach did was awesome and the actor was fantastic! i didnt care for laurie much in the graphic novel but the actress made her a sweet, strong character.
cant wait to see the extra extra long directors cut which is rumoured to have the Tales of the Black Freighter woven in somehow!!

only gripes were

Spoiler

Really liked it as a film. It took about as much as possible from the GN, inevitably glossing over some of the finer points, but that is to be expected with the transition.
There is free web access on the college site. (Note I say web.) See page 35 / post #700.
Reply 797
I liked it, but it wasn't nothing special like other comics>movie productions.
It lasted 3hours which I was not expecting.
The drama was intense and the action scene where good and some blood filled.
I liked the idea of time and the theories Dr Manhatton displays.

I didn't like the love/romance side of things. Too much, in my opinion.

I wasn't a fan of the comic nor had any in depth knowledge of the story. My friend who was gave the film 9/10.
My rating is 6.5/10.
Well cool movie!

You people don't understand. I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!
Melz0r
Okay, another fairly specific question: internet access, how much? (If there's a place where I could be finding all this information and I'm just being really stupid, please don't hesitate to fling me there... I've looked at the prospectus on emma.cam.ac.uk but it is rather vague in parts!)

Internet access is very good here. Massively high speed. There's a socket in every room and you can apply for wireless too, although that's a bit more dodgy. However, my boyfriend told the computer office that the wireless in his room was rubbish and they gave him his own router!

Latest

Trending

Trending