The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Questions for a current Kent student? Ask away!

Hi all!

I'm a Kent student, half way through my first year, studying Computer Science w/ Year in Industry. If you have any questions about Canterbury, Kent, or anything about my course, please, ask away!

Happy to help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrykirkby
Hi all!

I'm a Kent student, half way through my first year, studying Computer Science w/ Year in Industry. If you have any questions about Canterbury, Kent, or anything about my course, please, ask away!

Happy to help!

Hi there! I'm considering Kent as either my firm or insurance choice, but I haven't decided yet which way round I'm going to do it. I have bunch of questions, but first and foremost, as I'm applying to study History, I'm just curious as to whether you know any current History students and what they think of the course and the lecturers?

I'm also curious about freshers week. I know it's entirely what I make of it really, but as someone that doesn't drink very much, if at all, and isn't an overly social person, the thought of nightly clubbing and partying doesn't really appeal to me. I'll happily put myself out of my comfort zone to meet new people, but would you say there's plenty going on in the week, during the day and in the evenings, for people that aren't quite as into the whole partying side of things?

Thanks! :smile:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey!

Unfortunatelty, I do not know anyone on a History course at UKC so will have to avoid that question.

With regards to freshers week, there is tons to do. I'm not a fan of drinking a lot myself so I can relate to your position, however during freshers week I can not think of any time that I wasnt busy or was bored. To say there is a lot going on is an understatement, so you will find events that you enjoy no doubt!
I had a feeling you might say that given how History and Computer Science are vastly different subjects! No worries though, I'm sure I'll find out plenty when I go to the applicant day! I'm nervous and excited! :tongue:

Would you mind elaborating a little on what your experience of freshers week was like? What were a few of the events that you tried out? I've heard plenty about it from people I know that are studying at other universities, but they're based more in larger cities, which I'd assume offers a slightly different experience compared to a more rural uni like Kent? It's nice to get an idea from someone that isn't as keen on the drinking... so far I've only been hearing about the 'crazy nights out', and I'm sure there's much more to it than that! :smile:

One other thing too, just because I'm curious - what would you say your highlight of your time at Kent has been so far?

Sorry to bombard you with questions! :colondollar:
What you're doing is so helpful though! Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by Causton97

Would you mind elaborating a little on what your experience of freshers week was like? What were a few of the events that you tried out? I've heard plenty about it from people I know that are studying at other universities, but they're based more in larger cities, which I'd assume offers a slightly different experience compared to a more rural uni like Kent? It's nice to get an idea from someone that isn't as keen on the drinking... so far I've only been hearing about the 'crazy nights out', and I'm sure there's much more to it than that! :smile:

So, freshers week is bloody huge to start with. I spent most of my time, dashing around tents, meeting new people and grabbing free goodies. What essentially it is, is about four large tents/marquees, with each society/local business having a stand and basically they're trying to get you join their society or advertise their business (give away free goodies, lots of domino's and costa for free!). Other then that, there are events throughout the days (alongside this), such as speeches (inspirational ones based on your subject), chances to meet societies and tour the campus, and meet your uni tutors.

Out of the 5 nights at freshers (each night having a different theme), I went to one. I loved it. Not going to lie, as I said I don't drink much/a lot, but that night, it was awesome to kick back, have a few JD's and Coke and enjoy meeting people (no-one cared, no-one knew anyone, great vibe for that night). Other then that, meeting people happened through lectures and seminars/terminals for me, met some great people from around the World and some local (two of the close guys in our group flew home to Hong Kong and Saudi for Christmas, shows diversity :biggrin:), and yeah, it's good. Nightlife in Canterbury is decent, on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Any other day is pretty dead, the most popular clubs being Chill and Cuban.

As Kent is only the other side of Canterbury to CCCU, we clash a lot (not negative clashing, but you meet everyone from both unis and it's great), as we both share some clubs!

Original post by Causton97

One other thing too, just because I'm curious - what would you say your highlight of your time at Kent has been so far?

Sorry to bombard you with questions! :colondollar:
What you're doing is so helpful though! Thank you!

We've had quite a few good artists play at The Venue (our nightclub on campus). It was 100% my music taste (different nights have different music genres, that night was just mine!) and it was fantastic. Other than that, uni really makes you appreciate things a lot more so that is deffo one thing.

I love the campus at night and the whole spirit across campus is great, but yeah, hope that's enough! :smile:
Any opinions on the EEE department? Got an offer for Computer Systems Engineering... How's students there? Is there a lot of asians around the university?

- I'm from Malaysia btw
Reply 6
Original post by Confusedjeremy
Any opinions on the EEE department? Got an offer for Computer Systems Engineering... How's students there? Is there a lot of asians around the university?

- I'm from Malaysia btw

Students are great. No real knowledge of EEE, lots of asians yes haha.
Hey, I've heard that you cannot smoke at all on campus, is that right? Also would you say its better to share a house in Parkwood or to have a flat? Thanks :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ArkStation
Hey, I've heard that you cannot smoke at all on campus, is that right? Also would you say its better to share a house in Parkwood or to have a flat? Thanks :smile:

You can smoke on campus. You cannot smoke in housing. And I've not seen Parkwood flats but the houses are nice!
Okay, thank you :smile: which accommodation are you in?
Okay, thank you :smile: which accommodation are you in?

I live off campus! But spend most of my time in Rutherford, Woolf or Tyler.
Aw sweet, is it easy to find accommodation off campus?
Aw sweet, is it easy to find accommodation off campus?

Yeah. Just East of the campus is a small student neighbourhood, literally 80% students live there.
Hey, man, tks for the post. I'm an overseas student and don't found many people who had studied at Kent here in my country (Brazil). I've got an offer for International Master's in Applied Actuarial Sc... Do you know people from this programme and what they say about the course and the lecturers?
Hi!

I have a conditional offer to study law, although it isn't your subject I see, wondering if you know anything about the course? Satisfaction, etc?

Also how accessible is the university? I don't drive and I'll be arriving all the way from sunny Wales, so I'll be relying on public transport or cycling routes to get there and back. How good are these services?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know anybody that does psychology? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, sorry to add to the heap of questions, but I've also applied to study Computer Science (w/ Industrial Year) at Kent and thought this was a perfect thread.

I've got an interview in a few weeks and I don't know what to expect. Did you go through an interview too? If so, what was it like? Any advice?

What do you think is the best thing about this Computer Science course that distinguishes it from other courses? What have you learnt about so far? What made you choose Kent?

What was applying for accommodation and financial help, i.e. grants/bursaries, like for you? Any advice?

I've heard great things about the Uni and think I want to firm it but I'm also worried about the entry requirements for the course. I'm wondering if they'll still accept me if I missed, say, by just 1 grade for example?

Again, sorry for bombardment of questions...
Hi! Can I just ask, is the campus very quiet at weekends, do the majority of people go home every weekend?
Original post by Taraxoxo
Hi! Can I just ask, is the campus very quiet at weekends, do the majority of people go home every weekend?

Campus tends to be quieter at the weekends as there are no classes, so you'll see less 2nd/3rd years around. The later you get into the academic year, it will seem busier in the library and that but in general the weekends feel way more relaxed. Campus is ofc busiest at the weekend on a Saturday night in front of Venue. There will always be some people who go home for the weekend, but there's not some mass exodus.
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Campus tends to be quieter at the weekends as there are no classes, so you'll see less 2nd/3rd years around. The later you get into the academic year, it will seem busier in the library and that but in general the weekends feel way more relaxed. Campus is ofc busiest at the weekend on a Saturday night in front of Venue. There will always be some people who go home for the weekend, but there's not some mass exodus.

Thank-you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending