The Student Room Group

Lied on my CV

When I did my application to "a top investment bank" for a summer internship I predicted myself a 1st. At the time I sent it off I was on a high-ish 2:1. My thinking was that I'd be able to drag it up if I needed to. Since that time though I handed in an big essay a week late (taking a massive penalty) and had an average exam, so am now on a below average 2:1.

In general I don't care about getting a 2:1, I don't work hard enough to deserve a 1st haha and my extra-curriculars + previous experience are good, but now I'm through to the final round of interviews for the aforementioned top investment bank.

Basically I'm worried that if I get it and accept it (which I definitely would) I'll get done by the background check and then have nothing to do in summer because everywhere else will be/is already closed.

So just asking about experience of those who've been through the background check process? (ie. will they notice and if so will they care?) And generally for advice?

(not just not to lie, that much is clear)
Reply 1
Hie Worried lol

Lying on the CV when trying to get a job offer is not so good, so when you get accepted the first thing you bhave to do before they find out themselves is to say the truth that you could not meet the targets you have set for yourself.

In most cases companies do a backgroungd check, the reason is that they need to know who exactly you are
Did you enter the year you will graduate as in the future?

After all, you said you had to give yourself a prediction, so why not go with that story? You can say that a 1st was an optimistic (and now you realise, too optimistic!) prediction to make, but you didn't claim you were 100% going to get one/had one (or did you?, you must've put dates somewhere?!)
Original post by Worried lol
When I did my application to "a top investment bank" for a summer internship I predicted myself a 1st. At the time I sent it off I was on a high-ish 2:1. My thinking was that I'd be able to drag it up if I needed to. Since that time though I handed in an big essay a week late (taking a massive penalty) and had an average exam, so am now on a below average 2:1.

In general I don't care about getting a 2:1, I don't work hard enough to deserve a 1st haha and my extra-curriculars + previous experience are good, but now I'm through to the final round of interviews for the aforementioned top investment bank.

Basically I'm worried that if I get it and accept it (which I definitely would) I'll get done by the background check and then have nothing to do in summer because everywhere else will be/is already closed.

So just asking about experience of those who've been through the background check process? (ie. will they notice and if so will they care?) And generally for advice?

It's honestly not a big deal, I predicted myself a first when I was on a low 2:1 because I wanted to be optimistic as it was technically possible to still get one. If you're worried go speak to your tutor and explain that as you were on a high 2:1 would they support your prediction of a first. At the end of the day, grad schemes stipulate you need a 2:1 so they really aren't bothered as long as you're not crossing the 2:2 barrier. The background checks are to check you went to the uni etc. Its not to check whether you have been optimistic and ambitious in your goal setting. Honestly you will be absolutely fine, and if you ever get questioned (which I doubt) you have a good perfectly acceptable reason to think you can pull it up from a high 2:1 (eg optional module choice, knuckling down etc)
Good luck!
Reply 4
Do you need a 1st for the programme or is the requirement to be on track for a 2:1? A back ground check will just check that your module marks add up to the required classification.
Reply 5
Original post by Worried lol

You might get burned, if they request grade transcript. PWC did it to me.
Original post by Tbx
You might get burned, if they request grade transcript. PWC did it to me.

They haven't stated they got a first in their degree, they just said that they predict they will get a first ...nothing wrong with that. Obviously once you get your final degree grade you can't lie...
Reply 7
Original post by mizzsnazzter
They haven't stated they got a first in their degree, they just said that they predict they will get a first ...nothing wrong with that. Obviously once you get your final degree grade you can't lie...

I predicted myself a first and PWC didn't think I could get a first overall with 68% from second year, so they rejected me.
Reply 8
Original post by Tbx
I predicted myself a first and PWC didn't think I could get a first overall with 68% from second year, so they rejected me.

Sorry you're saying you had an offer and it was withdrawn because of that at background check time? I've never heard of anything like that... Not over a 1st/2:1, you don't even need a first for the job.
Reply 9
If we accept that an ability to market inflated projections with little tangible foundation is the quintessential trait of an investment banker, I daresay your success if not your degree is pretty much a foregone conclusion.
Original post by Tbx

Did they actually say this or are you just guessing? Because I call cobblers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending