The Student Room Group

What offer have I got?!

On Tuesday I recieved a conditional offer on ucas. However, on Thursday I then recieved a letter from that uni saying that if I put that university as my first choice then the offer would turn into unconditional. I firm chose it today and it has not changed from conditional to unconditional. How long should this take?
Original post by Bellaxx97
On Tuesday I recieved a conditional offer on ucas. However, on Thursday I then recieved a letter from that uni saying that if I put that university as my first choice then the offer would turn into unconditional. I firm chose it today and it has not changed from conditional to unconditional. How long should this take?

Normally, I think it happens automatically. I would contact UCAS and explain the situation, and see what they say about it.
They will ONLY change it to Unconditional IF you make it your Firm. And the processing takes at least 48 hours to be reflected on Track.

Just in case you havnt realised, that means you will have no Insurance and you are locked into going to that Uni, and only that Uni, no matter what A level results you get.

Advice and warnings about Unconditional Firms in this article. Too late for you, but may be a warning to others.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
They will ONLY change it to Unconditional IF you make it your Firm. And the processing takes at least 48 hours to be reflected on Track.

Just in case you havnt realised, that means you will have no Insurance and you are locked into going to that Uni, and only that Uni, no matter what A level results you get.

Advice and warnings about Unconditional Firms in this article. Too late for you, but may be a warning to others.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices

I have made it my firm and as it was still only conditional when I made my choice I could make a insurance choice so I have. Will it just delete this when the offer turns unconditional?
Yes.

You will loose your Insurance - it will just be deleted. With an Unconditional offer you have no grades to meet so by definition you don't need an Insurance.

You have 7 days to think about the reality of this and change your mind if necessary.
Reply 5
Yes.

You will loose your Insurance - it will just be deleted. With an Unconditional offer you have no grades to meet so by definition you don't need an Insurance.

You have 7 days to think about the reality of this and change your mind if necessary.

It still has not changed on UCAS yet
Yes.

hi, as an admissions tutor, would you be able to tell me if i would be disadvantaged if my predictions on my application say A*AA but my predictions in my reference say AAA?
Reply 7
[QUOTE="Bellaxx97;52782943"]I have made it my firm and as it was still only conditional when I made my choice I could make a insurance choice so I have. Will it just delete this when the offer turns unconditional?[/QUOTE
Thanks for the info and the link , you learn something new everyday has they say :smile:
Can I ask what uni this is ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Universities have no option on UCAS to give you an offer of "turn unconditional if firmed" the uni has to do it manually, so it's just when they have the time to change it, it is a busy time of year for them after all.
Also if you picked an insurance while the offer was still conditional then even when your firm changes to UF your insurance will still show as CI.

This is because Track isn't very clever. Under UCAS rules though your insurance will be aware that you are "UF elsewhere" and that they're therefore not going to have to deal with your application again.

Your insurance will no longer apply in any way. Likewise it wont be possible for you to apply elsewhere using Adjustment if you do well in your results in August.

Once Track shows UF then they *only* options available if you change your mind are a) ask nicely for your firm to place you into clearing and hope you find a place in August or b) take a gap year and reapply.

Unconditional offers, especially "unconditional if you firm us" offers, are designed to lock you into a choice early on and to influence you to choose a university you may otherwise have declined. Be *very* sure that you're making the right choice. If you wouldn't have firmed them on a conditional offer then you shouldn't be firming them with an unconditional.
Original post by PQ

Unconditional offers, especially "unconditional if you firm us" offers, are designed to lock you into a choice early on and to influence you to choose a university you may otherwise have declined. Be *very* sure that you're making the right choice. If you wouldn't have firmed them on a conditional offer then you shouldn't be firming them with an unconditional.

This is spot-on advice.

PLEASE think carefully about all the implications of these 'Unconditional' offers from the likes of Birmingham. They are being made deliberately to tie you that Uni and only that Uni, not because they think you are in anyway 'special'!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending