The Student Room Group

Did you have to get 5Bs or 5Cs to get into your sixth-form?

Poll

Did you need 5Bs or 5Cs to get into your sixth-form?

Up until recently, I always thought that the standard entry requirement to sixth-form in the UK was 5 C grades at GCSE including English, Maths and Science.
However, I've seen some people saying that they needed 5 B grades to get into their sixth-form and I just wondered whether I was in a minority needing only 5 Cs to get into my sixth-form and usually you need 5 Bs.

Did you need 5 Bs or 5 Cs to get into your sixth-form?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To do 3 full Alevels and 1 AS level, you need at least a B in each of the subjects you want to do for A level.

5 C's for doing a VCE.
Reply 2
How about an 'Other' option?

In theory, you only needed to get 6Cs to get into my sixth form. However, in reality, you needed 7Bs to do three AS levels; plus, they only accepted students with mainly A*s/As anyway.
5Cs, including either Maths or English for "Feeder Schools", but offers to fill up the rest of the places (circa 350) are given to the candidates from non-feeder schools, typically with A*s, As and Bs.
I didn't come from a feeder school - the benchmark for mine was seemingly around 10A :s:
I needed 6 A*-Cs including English, maths, English lit, history and a B in French because my A-levels included English lit, history and French. Some of my friends were only asked for 5 though :confused: One of my friends got in with 4.5 Cs and the rest Ds and below, including maths, and was even allowed to do English lit AS with a D at GCSE, so they're very flexible. They also run GNVQ courses, where you need something like 2 Es.
Reply 5
We needed 5Cs. :smile:
The sixth form college I went to was actually part of my secondary school, and to get in I only needed 5 Cs (and, in the event, I got 8). Oh, and Sleep Now In The Fire -- that can't possibly have been the policy at my college, as I got Cs in everything but English at GCSE, but was perfectly able to do History, Psychology and Fine Art at A-level.
I put 5cs but in reality the college takes anyone, although they won't get to do a-levels and some, people who got 2Es would have to spend four years at the college.
i needed 5 A*-C's to get in. but i needed two B's at the very least in GCSE english lit and english lang, to do english lit and english lang at A level.
I needed 5A*'s or A's to get into my sixth form (you ahould have had other as an option on your poll)
My school lets you have 7 U's, 2 X's and a few Z's and a pulse inc.respiration to let you into their 6th form
Reply 11

I need 7C's though I got a D in History though was allowed to carry it on through A level-s and got a C.
I needed more than 5Bs-15 points..Including B's in chosen AS subjects and passes in English and Maths.
Reply 13
7 Bs for my school
Well for me you need to get a minimum of a B to do the AS subjects and to pass the year you need a minimum of 5B but really the standard is 5C...
They say 5Cs with either a C in english or maths and you have to retake the other.

Then for the subject you want to do you have to have atleast a C, except maths which is B at higher level.
Reply 16

My college, which only require 5Cs or above, is one of the best in the country.
I, personally, have never encountered a college asking for A* at GCSE.
Reply 17

My college, which only require 5Cs or above, is one of the best in the country. I, personally, never encountered a college asking for A* at GCSE. :o:
Reply 18
My school required 11 points (1 point = 1C at GCSE, 2=B, 3=A, 4=A*, 0=D and below).

It required at least a B in the subject you were proposing to take at A-Level and at least a C in English/Mathematics (subjects which were not taken at GCSE level, the nearest equivalent subject would be required to have been a B).

The school was ranked 4th in the LEA, which covers just the town (since Southend separated from the Essex LEA). Saying that Southend has loads of schools.
Reply 19
Well my old Sixth Form requeried me to have personally 1 A in Maths and 6 B's,but I managed to get in narrowingly missed the A (by 7 marks), it was for Higher Economics but now at my new Sixth Form College it was 5 C's and preferably B for Maths, if I would wanted to carry it on.

Latest

Trending

Trending