The Student Room Group

Good place to study the arts in Scotland?

Hello everyone! I have actually known about this forum for a year or so now, but only just now made an account. Anyways, although I've done a lot of research towards studying any of the following in Scotland (Fine Art/Studio Art, Illustration, Animation, or Graphic Design) I'm still unsure of which universities would be the best for any of these courses. (I've looked at Dundee, Glasgow, and Edinburgh). So I figured I'd ask you guys for your opinions. Also I'd like to throw out there that I live all the way in Alaska, so unfortunately I can't really visit any of the universities :frown:
Reply 1
Not sure about any of the other unis, but you might also want to look at St. Andrews. Has a tremendous reputation for the arts. Told my studio art teacher that I'm going there (for IR though, not art) and he was genuinely impressed-- name means quite a bit in the art world.
Reply 2
Dundee has one of the highest ranked art schools in the UK - the Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design (DJCAD) - and the city has just been declared a UNESCO World City of Design. I have friends who do design, architecture, art etc. and they love it.

If you can, you should come over and have a tour of the universities you are interested in - after all it's a place you'll spend several years living and working in. You can aim for official open days, or probably just arrange with the university's for an individual tour. From my experience they are always incredibly helpful, especially with international students from far away.

Quick Reply

Latest