The Student Room Group

Stuck between Economics or Engineering degree!!

As the title say.

Id like to become an IB (cos i have a passion for IB...lol). Obviously Economics would be the preferred degree for this and my subject choices allows me to do this (Maths etc).

On the other hand, i also like to become an engineering, oil etc etc. But, couldnt i get a degree in engineering and after some time, start working as a IB? So im getting the best of both.

Whats your take on this?
Bump
Reply 2
No, there's absolutely no way you could get an engineering degree and work in any industry that is not engineering. The law directly prohibits these sort of things
What are you talking about
Original post by Flather
No, there's absolutely no way you could get an engineering degree and work in any industry that is not engineering. The law directly prohibits these sort of things
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by schindlers list
As the title say.

Id like to become an IB (cos i have a passion for IB...lol). Obviously Economics would be the preferred degree for this and my subject choices allows me to do this (Maths etc).

On the other hand, i also like to become an engineering, oil etc etc. But, couldnt i get a degree in engineering and after some time, start working as a IB? So im getting the best of both.

Whats your take on this?

No it isn't.

A lot of economics students work in finance because they don't have much choice and because they think economics will help them get a job in finance and because people who are interested in finance are interested in economics. It's not because economics students have particular skills compared to engineers that make them appropriate to work in finance.

If you like the idea of being an engineer, study engineering. It won't hold you back for finance at all, in fact engineering is widely considered to be a tougher degree (about the only thing IB care about a course is "how tough it is".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending