The Student Room Group

Panic mode Gcse style

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ExcitinglyMundane
Yes, there are loads of facts. I didn't learn them. The examiners don't know them. Ao long as you have a good idea about what happened, the exact number doesn't matter. There aren't any marks avaliable for knowing 15879 houses were destroyed, you could probably say 10000 or 20000 and still get the marks. (I'm talking about the long written questions.)

I did do my gcses before Gove's shakeup, and I know he championed factual recall, so things may have changed. But when I did is, so long as I could describe roughly what happened, and the response to it. If the text book says "HMS FLOATYBOAT helped deliver aid", you can say "The Royal Navy delivered aid".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for that insight! That's very kind of you. And your comment is extremely helpful
Reply 21
Original post by Rabia.Nishat
Oh my! What?! Ah well, Oxford or no Oxford, you seem really bright, so i bet you'll do fantastically anywhere! Best of luck for the rest, are you particularly keen on any one of the other universities? Also, are you applying for pure maths or applied? Ha! That quote isn't half bad! But, here's a good one: “If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut”

Albert Einstein

Thanks. I have my heart set on Warwick now. Straight maths courses (so a mixture of pure and applied) apart form at Surrey, where I went for Financial Mathematics, since I want to go into the world of finance......
Original post by SH0405
Thanks. I have my heart set on Warwick now. Straight maths courses (so a mixture of pure and applied) apart form at Surrey, where I went for Financial Mathematics, since I want to go into the world of finance......

Well, I hope what's best for you is what happens. And I'm sure you'll do amazingly well. No pressure! And financial mathematics?! I'm suprised you haven't decided on a joint degree. Like Maths and stats.
Reply 23
Well, I hope what's best for you is what happens. And I'm sure you'll do amazingly well. No pressure! And financial mathematics?! I'm suprised you haven't decided on a joint degree. Like Maths and stats.

So am I... So. Am. I.
Ha! That certainly put a smile on my face!
An thank you ever so much, I never thought of it as a memory game, that's a great way to put it.

I am happy, that atleast a bit of worries are over; however don't take it the wrong way, worrying was the source which drove me to get in to Orie college (Oxford university). I am at my first year of medicine, but trust me i worked to keep a high momentum whilst studying, it was hard but it's all paying off. Therefore you should remind your self, the outcome if you don't study, and the outcome if you do study.

A lot of people say GCSE doesn't decide your fate, etc. I think those people are lazy and couldn't do it the first time, therefore don't be like them! Do your best, and make sure to suceed.
Also, good luck with physics at A level, it's hard! To go with it, it's for the best if you pick math's mechanics. At my GCSE's i did, Chemistry, Biology, Physochology, Maths (Satistics), and Economics. A lot of people told me to not pick 5, and they were right, it was a lot of work; a lot!
Hey everyone!

I bet I'm not the only one counting down months... weeks... in fact days until the exams. So I was wondering if anyone who's gotten straight A*s/ As could provide any valuable tips and tricks for learning, doing well etc. I'd really appreciate it!

Hey, Trust me your not the only one counting down.. I am too. I got to be honest I get mostly A*s As and Bs, so my tips might not completely help but you never know.
A good thing to start off with is to take a subject - anyone at random- and realise you strengths and weaknesses this will help you determine what you actually have to focus on. List your weaknesses and a good idea which actually helps me is to make like poster things on each topic (might take some time) and get blue tack and stick them around your room.

Another thing is to get enough sleep and drink a lot of water. Sounds stupid but seriously, it relieves the stress and it helps you study.

A good way to remember something important and key for exams is to revise in the morning because theres a 87% chance that you will remember it better than revising it the night before.

Hope this helped, Best of luck to you all!
Original post by Zahra.123
Hey, Trust me your not the only one counting down.. I am too. I got to be honest I get mostly A*s As and Bs, so my tips might not completely help but you never know.
A good thing to start off with is to take a subject - anyone at random- and realise you strengths and weaknesses this will help you determine what you actually have to focus on. List your weaknesses and a good idea which actually helps me is to make like poster things on each topic (might take some time) and get blue tack and stick them around your room.

Another thing is to get enough sleep and drink a lot of water. Sounds stupid but seriously, it relieves the stress and it helps you study.

A good way to remember something important and key for exams is to revise in the morning because theres a 87% chance that you will remember it better than revising it the night before.

Hope this helped, Best of luck to you all!

No not at all! Your advice is well thought out and rather useful! Thank you so much! And best of luck to you too!
(edited 9 years ago)
This post has helped me a lot in terms of building motivation. Good luck in your GCSE's, I am doing them as well. My best advice would be to always remain positive and cool-minded. Have fun with your GCSE's as things are only going to get harder (in terms of putting in the work/effort).
Original post by SH0405
So am I... So. Am. I.
Well, I pray to God that you get your wish. You see really intelligent, a university shouldn't put you down, and the right university will make it its personal goal that you flourish.
Original post by princesszeldaa
This post has helped me a lot in terms of building motivation. Good luck in your GCSE's, I am doing them as well. My best advice would be to always remain positive and cool-minded. Have fun with your GCSE's as things are only going to get harder (in terms of putting in the work/effort).

Well said, and if motivation were a potion, I'm sure we'd all brew it. But... alas, this is not Harry Potter, and I'm not Hermione. But, I'm sure you'll be just fine either way!
Original post by Aghareza
I am happy, that atleast a bit of worries are over; however don't take it the wrong way, worrying was the source which drove me to get in to Orie college (Oxford university). I am at my first year of medicine, but trust me i worked to keep a high momentum whilst studying, it was hard but it's all paying off. Therefore you should remind your self, the outcome if you don't study, and the outcome if you do study.

A lot of people say GCSE doesn't decide your fate, etc. I think those people are lazy and couldn't do it the first time, therefore don't be like them! Do your best, and make sure to suceed.
Also, good luck with physics at A level, it's hard! To go with it, it's for the best if you pick math's mechanics. At my GCSE's i did, Chemistry, Biology, Physochology, Maths (Satistics), and Economics. A lot of people told me to not pick 5, and they were right, it was a lot of work; a lot!

Oh wow! That was most certainly inspiring, thank you!
Original post by Aghareza

I disagree with you there. GCSEs do not decide your fate, mostly. So long as you do well in the subjects that matter to you and your preferred subjects, then no one cares if you get a C in a completely unrelated subject.

Quick Reply

Latest