The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ah, yes, that was a bit of a brash statement. The reason i wrote that was because the letter from the UKCAT people to the school was pinned to the wall in front of me, and it said exactly that. D'oh!
Reply 21
and BMAT costs I think 20 pounds

Wangers
yeah, something like £26, i think, but mine went on my sch bill, so... :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Yeah, my shcool's nice and said they'd cover the cost for me :biggrin: Wish they coulda done the UKCAt as well...

Anyway, today went very well, although sadly a few people weren't able to make it. I'll just catch up with them a bit later and go through everything with them. My head of 6th was impressed, he was also very grateful, and even admitted that he had no idea about 90% of the stuff I mentioned. He's asked me to do another one for the year 11s next week hehe.

And thanks to whoever repped me :smile:
Reply 24
I wish someone had told me what needed to do to become a good potential med student!, i went to a secondary school (low preforming) where not many would go onto uni but in my new 6th form there is about 9 or 10 of us hopeing to be med-students... It could be an idea to remind that when UCAS have to be in as well!!!!!!
Reply 25
Hello again everyone :smile: There have been (apparently) a lot of year 11s who have said they want to study medicine, and my head of 6th form has asked me to do a similar talk for them. New things I'll have to take into consideration obviosuly include the fact that most of them won't be 16 yet and so probably can't undertake clinical WE, and none of them know what UCAS is yet. Anyone have any other suggestions to include? I'll also probably be using the same handout I did last time, just correcting the typos, unless anyone thinks any of it needs a major revision for year 11 pupils?

I think my head of 6th also expects me to big up the 6th form a lot, because quite a lot of year 11s are looking to study elsewhere, particularly at one of our rival schools hehe.
Reply 26
The two statements:

1) GCSEs will be largely overlooked if PS and AS/A2 Grades are there. - That is incorrect. Everyone should have high GCSEs.

2) Kaplan is not advised for BMAT. - Those books are quite handy in addition to the normal guides.
Revd. Mike
Hello again everyone :smile: There have been (apparently) a lot of year 11s who have said they want to study medicine, and my head of 6th form has asked me to do a similar talk for them. New things I'll have to take into consideration obviosuly include the fact that most of them won't be 16 yet and so probably can't undertake clinical WE, and none of them know what UCAS is yet. Anyone have any other suggestions to include? I'll also probably be using the same handout I did last time, just correcting the typos, unless anyone thinks any of it needs a major revision for year 11 pupils?

I think my head of 6th also expects me to big up the 6th form a lot, because quite a lot of year 11s are looking to study elsewhere, particularly at one of our rival schools hehe.

I think you should mention how the summer straight after GCSEs are a good time to get work experience, because that is the last summer that you are completely free from work, most people are 16 and it's nice to have something to do (10 weeks is a long time!). So encourage them to perhaps start organising that now.

Other than that, I think general information is useful; most people don't know anything about the application process in Year 11 - just go through what the BMAT & UKCAT is, importance of WE/voluntary work, how you can only have 4 choices, how you have to have interviews to get into mostly anywhere, and so forth.

Also encourage them to do well in their GCSEs because that will put them in good stead; but tell them not to worry their minds out because medicine is definitely not all about the grades - a common misconception; a lot of people tend to think that for medicine, stellar grades are prerequisites. :smile:

Perhaps you could also mention any useful websites, books etc so that they can get a better idea of medicine.

Hope that helps.
when i was at georges for an open day a few months ago, they said that the UKCAT will be changing this year and in others, to include more sections, esp. more sections on personality. This may not be correct, but maybe something to check up?

:smile:
Reply 29
session went really well today, had about 10 year 11s, all seemed really interested and switched on, they all seemed to learn something. Damn them all though, they all laughed at me when I told them I got 18.9 in the BMAT and UCL asked for 19. >.<

Latest

Trending

Trending