The Student Room Group

Prestige vs Course

Hi, I just finished year 12 with 3 A's and I'm trying to get into investment banking and I'm wondering whether to try go to a target uni or go to Kent and do their finance and investment course.
extra info:
I only have a 4 in gcse maths which is shooting me in the foot rn
Original post by connor1492
Hi, I just finished year 12 with 3 A's and I'm trying to get into investment banking and I'm wondering whether to try go to a target uni or go to Kent and do their finance and investment course.
extra info:
I only have a 4 in gcse maths which is shooting me in the foot rn

Prestige > Course for investment banking. You could also always resit your GCSE in Maths.

Bare in mind there's a life outside of J.P. Morgan, Goldman Sachs, etc and the odds of getting into any front office position are low even in a target university so I would think heavily before making such a big decision based on this.
Reply 2
Course barely matters if you are at a target (Oxbridge/LSE etc.). Don't worry about it too much though - IB is a pretty big field that is not limited to just the BBs/EBs. Plenty of MM banks out there with great career prospects as well that are not as competitive to get a place at.
Reply 3
Resit GCSE maths. It will open more options. Also - you might get autofiltered out on applications for jobs and internships.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending