The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
No interviews have gone out yet, don't worry. They usually run between Jan - April at some point. The Soton website suggests this will be March for this year's applicants which means people would hear towards the end of February.

Thanks. :smile:

When do we hear about rejections?
Original post by 1lastchance
Thanks. :smile:

When do we hear about rejections?

That happens very last.

Is it strange that i haven't heard anything from soton yet?

Have you at leas been asked to prove you are eligible?
That happens very last.

Have you at leas been asked to prove you are eligible?

is that when we got the sheet to fill in about whether we live in a poor area etc. or if we are the first person in the family to go to university? if so, yes.
is that when we got the sheet to fill in about whether we live in a poor area etc. or if we are the first person in the family to go to university? if so, yes.

Yes. That's okay then. Totally normal not to have heard since then. Some people got a generic email but I don't think that is universal.
Are you from Southampton originally and also have you taken two gap years and got in?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alisahhh1998
Are you from Southampton originally and also have you taken two gap years and got in?

I live permanently in Southampton now but I moved from my home town about an hour away when I got in. Why?
I applied to medical school 2 years in a row. My 2nd application was when I found the BM6 course and got an offer. Are you worried about gap years?
I live permanently in Southampton now but I moved from my home town about an hour away when I got in. Why?
I applied to medical school 2 years in a row. My 2nd application was when I found the BM6 course and got an offer. Are you worried about gap years?

Yes nd I thought that the bm6 might give priority to those from Southampton also, I wanted to apologise for before, you've been really helpful. I was stressed I'm really sorry
Original post by Alisahhh1998
Yes nd I thought that the bm6 might give priority to those from Southampton also, I wanted to apologise for before, you've been really helpful. I was stressed I'm really sorry

They used to only be open to Southampton or hampshire residents but not anymore.

No need to apologise. I wrote short answers, easy to come across sarky when they weren't meant to. It's a stressful time for sure. Getting in is the hardest part though. If you can make it through this, you will be fine.

Have you applied to other medicine with foundation year unis, such as uea or kings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SaphBruh
Have you applied to other medicine with foundation year unis, such as uea or kings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Southampton was the only access course I knew about at the time so it was the only one I applied to. There are lots of threads with helpful users on those courses who should be able to help!
Looks like interviews will be Thursday 3 March and Monday 7 March so don't expect to hear for another 5 weeks or so!
Looks like interviews will be Thursday 3 March and Monday 7 March so don't expect to hear for another 5 weeks or so!

How do you know that? :biggrin:

Edit: my bad, you study there.
Thanks for the information :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you send them an email it says it in the automatic reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

The university are recruiting student helpers and the dates are listed in our email. Also if you send an email to admissions, you get an automated reply with lots of info about interviews including the dates.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is the automated reply:

January 2016

Thank you for emailing the Faculty of Medicine; we generally receive a very high number of emails. We will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible but there may be a delay (particularly if your enquiry is complex). In the meantime you may find the information you require below. Please note that if your enquiry is answered using the information provided in this email, you will not receive an additional response.

APPLICATIONS FOR 2016 ENTRY

· If you have submitted an application you will be contacted in due course; this could be anytime up until the end of March. We would ask that you wait to hear from us rather than emailing/telephoning, in order for us to process applications as quickly as possible

· Invitations for selection days are usually sent about 2 weeks beforehand

· Decisions, including offers, may be made at any time up until the end of March

· If you haven’t heard from us then your application is still under consideration

· The date for submitting BM6 Eligibility Forms has now closed and we are unable to accept any late forms

SELECTION PROCESS

· Initially BM4 and BM5 applicants will be ranked by UKCAT score. Starting from the highest scorers and working down applicants are then screened to check they meet our academic requirements.

· Applicants who meet the academic requirements are invited on a rolling basis to attend a selection day. The selection day will include an interview and group task.

· Based on the last 2 years, applicants to BM5 who have been invited to selection day have scored from c2500 (total scores not including situational judgement). Applicants to BM4 who have been invited to selection day have scored from c2800.

· BM6 applicants will not be ranked by UKCAT, but selected BM6 applicants will also be required to take part in a selection day, to include the same activities as BM4 and BM5 candidates.

Please note: It is not possible for us to give any further information regarding whether an applicant’s UKCAT score might be high enough to get to the next stage.

SELECTION DATES

Monday 7 December
BM4/A101

Tuesday 8 December
BM4/A101

Thursday 28 January
BM5 /A100

Tuesday 2 February
BM5/A100

Thursday 4 February
BM5/A100

Monday 8 February
BM5/A100

Thursday 25 February
BM5/A100 Mature Non-graduates, Overseas and Graduates

Monday 29 February
BM5/A100 Overseas and School Leavers

Thursday 3 March
BM6/A102

Monday 7 March
BM6/A102

Any applicants invited for interview will be expected to attend on the given date. Due to the nature of the selection process, it is very unlikely that we will be able to offer an alternative date. All applicants will be seen face to face we do not offer Skype interviews.

OTHER ENQUIRIES
Please refer to our 2016 Prospectus below for details of the following:
· Programme descriptions
· Entry requirements
· UKCAT test
· Acceptable/equivalent qualifications
· English language requirements
· How to apply
· BM6/Widening Access programme eligibility criteria

LINK TO PROSPECTUS:
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/content-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/F3DC3950726F49CFB574C71A4C7F9805/medicine-ug-prospectus.pdf

If you haven’t already done so, please refer to our website www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine<http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine>
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 595
Haha, people are doubting the mighty Beth? Don't think anyone knows more about BM6 than her.

I'm a current BM6 student, happy to answer any questions you might have. Waiting for interview invites/rejections is a nervy period but it's best to just focus on your A-Levels if you're currently studying, and go over your PS. Good luck!
Original post by Lazy-
Haha, people are doubting the mighty Beth? Don't think anyone knows more about BM6 than her.

I'm a current BM6 student, happy to answer any questions you might have. Waiting for interview invites/rejections is a nervy period but it's best to just focus on your A-Levels if you're currently studying, and go over your PS. Good luck!

What are your stats? Grades, work exp, ukcat, etc..

Thanks
Original post by qwerty123A
What are your stats? Grades, work exp, ukcat, etc..

Thanks

Grades - at least the minimum - makes no difference if you have A*A*A*A* or BBC, they don't make any preference.
UKCAT - they don't look at it unless they've got to chose between two people so it's kind of irrelevant as you don't know a) if it was used in this case or b) what the other person's score was. It could have been a huge or a tiny difference.

Work exp is of interest if it went in the PS.

The way to get a place is to have a PS that meets the criteria and then do well at interview. There is not a secret list of requirements like UKCAT etc :no:
Original post by Lazy-

Ahaha. :colondollar:

Great to have a current BM6er in here!! :woo:. How are you feeling about upcoming exams? Essays going well?
Reply 599
Ahaha. :colondollar:

Great to have a current BM6er in here!! :woo:. How are you feeling about upcoming exams? Essays going well?

Essay's been sent in and presentation done! Just exams to worry about now. It's all been a bit too last minute if I'm entirely honest with myself, but manageable. Best to make mistakes now and not in BM5 when you have a million things to worry about. Doesn't help that I've just got Netflix and really wanna binge on House of Cards :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending