The Student Room Group

Who is the richest academic??

Ok, so on the TSR everyone reads League tables about how much barristers and solicitors earn in certain magic circle firms etc. So I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who professed to be the richest academic because they had fabulous books? Shame there was not League tables. Anyway I know it not supposed to be much but does anyone know much about how much academics earn in different jurisdictions?

I was thinking of doing a PHD. I am not sure if I have what it takes for practice. I was considering applying to expand my BCL to an Mphi but I don't really see the point of a two year masters programme but my tutor said last night that most people do this who want to do PHDs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Academics don't earn money from teaching etc, but rather from committees and boards of directors they are members of.

eg: my uncle is a medic/toxicologist at imperial, but earns most of his money from the various committees he's on. (WHO, pesticides, drug control, etc etc)
Precisely, who is richest? LOL This is just a silly thread really. My uncle works as a brain surgeon at a teaching hospital. He makes most of his money out of BUPA. My Mum usually teaches history in a school. If she were always a uni academic and went for professorship her earnings would go up though and more in some places than others
Reply 3
LauraWalker
Ok, so on the TSR everyone reads League tables about how much barristers and solicitors earn in certain magic circle firms etc. So I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who professed to be the richest academic because they had fabulous books? Shame there was not League tables. Anyway I know it not supposed to be much but does anyone know much about how much academics earn in different jurisdictions?

I was thinking of doing a PHD. I am not sure if I have what it takes for practice. I was considering applying to expand my BCL to an Mphi but I don't really see the point of a two year masters programme but my tutor said last night that most people do this who want to do PHDs.

Don't do a PhD! They are evil!! :p:
Oh Ethereal, you have not even started one yet? x

Academics probably hate boards and committees meetings even if attending them increases ones earnings. I do get e-mails from one saying how fed up they are about being pushed into a pay rise and having to attend these things because nobody else will
Reply 5
Not officially I haven't
Well don't over do it :wink: Orders. An LPC is a lot of intense work.
Any academic that has published popular non-fiction probably is pretty rich. Take Jeffrey Sachs or someone like that.
Yep, writing is always a good way to earn some money on the side. As a an academic you have the time for it. I sold three trashy short coffee time stories over the summer for £250 each. My trashy coffee time stories are no reflection of Sachs, just saying that writing can get u quite a bit of extra money. My Mum really wants me to write a story book but it would take ages and then possibly get rejected by a publisher :frown:
Reply 9
Ethereal
Don't do a PhD! They are evil!! :p:

lol ahhh poor Eth, you're just upset because you wish you were doing the PhD full time rather than taking this flogging on the LPC!!!! :p:
Without saying anymore, I think academia has its good side. I think John Gardner has proved to me how much fame and popularity it can bring you. You could not get anywhere near him at our first drinks party, I had to do some serious barging to get to talk with him :smile:. Just the other day, we were saying at Hildas that we wanted to go and watch his jurisprudence seminars even though we don't take jurisprudence. LOL :smile:
Haha. There was a piece in the paper not too long ago (just before I came over to SIngapore) about their actual teaching wages, the averages amongst academics. There was a big debate about it, mainly because they were so much lower than those in practice, yet traditionally it would be the best in the class who would stay on to be academics, the very top. Anyway I think the average for a professor, from all subjects across the board, was 60k ... that doesn't take into account any money from books, or anything else other than teaching.
Reply 12
Generally academics are locked into publishing by the university itself, with the uni taking a large slice of the profit.
Reply 13
LauraWalker
Academics probably hate boards and committees meetings even if attending them increases ones earnings. I do get e-mails from one saying how fed up they are about being pushed into a pay rise and having to attend these things because nobody else will

Noooooooooo committees are the lifeblood of any academic I'd imagine. Its their life passion in real life application and all that that.

I mean cmon, whats more interesting? Teaching a bunch of drunk freshers or deciding whether a drug is harmful and should be legal?
I'd prefer teaching, provided I could hand pick the girls in my tutor groups. Some of them just aren't up to "scratch". HAHA.
This is the funniest thread I have seen. We academics are lucky to be paid any money at all. We are paid handsomely in fun and freedom.
Now that's generous! Get it here first: Academics don't deserve to be paid, says top Professor from Oxford. I should be a tabloid journalist if this law stuff doesn't work out.

But I guess that's the luxury of it, you can research into and write about an area which truly interests you, no-one is really your boss ... you effectively come up with what you want, when you want. Or so I believe (within reason of course, I think profs have to produce a certain amount of literature every x number of years or whatever).
Are Law textbook writers approached by the different publishing bodies or do the academics themselves apply to the pusblishers?
Lewisy-boy
I'd prefer teaching, provided I could hand pick the girls in my tutor groups. Some of them just aren't up to "scratch". HAHA.

HA LMAO. we have a bit of a shallow hal here. ican't mock tho im probs worse.
I suppose it's like everything else: depends on your reputation.

Latest

Trending

Trending