The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Reply 1
I got one for Computer Science on the 25th!

Let us know how your's went.
University of York
York
Reply 2
My Interview went very smoothly and has made me consider York as a very strong possiblity of being my first choice. I really like the fact that the interview was less intimidating and more of a chat really - no impossible maths questions either. I really liked the course too as lots of hardware modules are on the spec of each course.
My interviewer said i would get a 'possitive recomendation' to the admissions department so thats hopefully good news. My original first choice - Imperial College may have dropped down my list now but i still have others to see.
Reply 3
Whoo! Just got my offer through - ABB (A in Maths)
Reply 4
Congrats, I've got an interview on the 9th of December :biggrin: do you get the opportunity to show off your comp sci/programming knowledge because if i had the chance im sure id have a good chance of an offer (Better than my teacher at programming and rarely get below 100% on programming questions :cool:)
Reply 5
I've applied for maths and compsci at York, and have an interview day soon. Do they ask any maths questions at the interview or is it predominantly ps based. Also, approx. how many other applicants turn up to the interview day, and do parents usually come along?
Reply 6
You are there with probably about 60 other people. You will probably get asked a 'puzzle' style question. Just word your thought process i.e how you are working it out. Doesn't really matter if you are wrong unless you make it look like you are completely incompetent. You probably won't be asked anything along the lines of programming. Maybe you programming/work experience? Parents do come along.
Reply 7
My interview day last year consisted of:

An introductory talk, giving you information about the department and the courses
A Question/Answer session, you are put into groups and write questions on cards, then the most popular ones are answered by the tutors and some 3rd year students.
Then lunch, I think. The sandwiches were awesome when I went, hopefully you'll get the same. The best by far at all the Unis I visited!

Then comes the interview. Half of you are interviewed while the other half are showed around the campus and the computing labs.
My interview took the form of a chat about various things on my personal statement and the usual questions about what I liked about CS, followed by a riddle/puzzle style question, as has been said. Mine was about two trains driving at each other at a certain speed, a certain distance apart, and a fly flying back and forth between them, and I had to work out how far it flew before the trains collided.
Don't worry if you can't answer the question, I couldn't, just think out loud and the person should help you through if you get stuck. It's not an exam, it's just to get an idea of how you work through problems.

That was last year so I may be way off, but I'm sure the format won't have changed too much. Good luck to all candidates, let us know how you get on!

Latest

Trending

Trending