The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Freshers details?

Hi all,

Recently went on a visit day to see the uni (I do already have a place but hadn't yet seen it) and they said that we get 'freshers fortnight' as opposed to just one week. So, does this start 2 weeks before the start of term (so the 14th) or does it start on the 28th?

Also, current Leicester students, what sort of events/activities are held over freshers? I would assume that there are the standard clubbing nights etc. but is there anything which is unique to Leicester or just interesting? Don't want to miss out on any good opportunities!

Cheers :smile:
Original post by 7ButlerJ
Hi all,

Recently went on a visit day to see the uni (I do already have a place but hadn't yet seen it) and they said that we get 'freshers fortnight' as opposed to just one week. So, does this start 2 weeks before the start of term (so the 14th) or does it start on the 28th?

Also, current Leicester students, what sort of events/activities are held over freshers? I would assume that there are the standard clubbing nights etc. but is there anything which is unique to Leicester or just interesting? Don't want to miss out on any good opportunities!

Cheers :smile:

It starts on the 28th, which completely ruins any chance of you going to any of your first lectures

All of the nights have a theme, there's been UV parties, bar crawls, "Celebrity" nights (normally someone from TOWIE or Made in Chelsea), foam parties, school discos, special DJ night (has been Zane Lowe in the past) and the occasional day event, for example, a couple of years ago on one of the sundays there was a free sunday lunch and pool party
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by MattCSidd
It starts on the 28th, which completely ruins any chance of you going to any of your first lectures

All of the nights have a theme, there's been UV parties, bar crawls, "Celebrity" nights (normally someone from TOWIE or Made in Chelsea), foam parties, school discos, special DJ night (has been Zane Lowe in the past) and the occasional day event, for example, a couple of years ago on one of the sundays there was a free sunday lunch and pool party

Oh, cool :smile: Is that common for universities? For Freshers to be on the first week (or two) of term? I assumed it would be the week before and then when term starts then so does the work (or for some people I guess Freshers lasts the whole year...)!

That sounds like a good mix! Would you say that the nights/events etc. are more spread out due to Freshers being twice as long? I would think that there wouldn't be such a sense of urgency due to not having to cram it all in to one week?
Oh, cool :smile: Is that common for universities? For Freshers to be on the first week (or two) of term? I assumed it would be the week before and then when term starts then so does the work (or for some people I guess Freshers lasts the whole year...)!

That sounds like a good mix! Would you say that the nights/events etc. are more spread out due to Freshers being twice as long? I would think that there wouldn't be such a sense of urgency due to not having to cram it all in to one week?

I think most uni's have freshers week(s) the same as the introduction to your course week, but don't quote me on that
BTW, to anyone who's not a first year, you'll be a fresher for the entire year ("Aww, aren't they soo cute etc etc...")

They're not really spread out, because there's an event every night, and like I said, on the 1st Sunday of my first year freshers there were 2 things in one day.
I think with a 2 week freshers, it'll be more expensive, but you'll get more bang for your buck.
Reply 4
I think most uni's have freshers week(s) the same as the introduction to your course week, but don't quote me on that
BTW, to anyone who's not a first year, you'll be a fresher for the entire year ("Aww, aren't they soo cute etc etc...")

They're not really spread out, because there's an event every night, and like I said, on the 1st Sunday of my first year freshers there were 2 things in one day.
I think with a 2 week freshers, it'll be more expensive, but you'll get more bang for your buck.

Okay, thanks. That's reassuring to hear that because it means that I actually get a decent break before university after finishing my gap year placement!

Ahh, I see. Well I'm definitely looking forward to it! Hopefully I don't break the bank in that time though!!
So is the freshers week during when you're meant to be going to Lectures and that?
Reply 6
Original post by neigh0mey
So is the freshers week during when you're meant to be going to Lectures and that?

I would assume from this message that yeah, we are supposed to be going to lectures at the same time... I think that might prove to be rather difficult :/
Reply 7
Yes it's during the semester but youre unlikely to have a hugely packed timetable. I study physics which has a packed timetable usually but during the first 2 weeks or so it was quiet enough to allow me to attend what I wanted.
Reply 8
Original post by Eremor
Yes it's during the semester but youre unlikely to have a hugely packed timetable. I study physics which has a packed timetable usually but during the first 2 weeks or so it was quiet enough to allow me to attend what I wanted.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense then!
I'll be studying Management Studies. It says on the site that I'll have about 10 hours of lectures per week and then a similar number of seminars and class work of whatever. So, in the first 2 weeks how much do you think that would be reduced by?
Reply 9
Ah, that makes a bit more sense then!
I'll be studying Management Studies. It says on the site that I'll have about 10 hours of lectures per week and then a similar number of seminars and class work of whatever. So, in the first 2 weeks how much do you think that would be reduced by?

Impossible for me to say as every department runs differently. But someone in my flat studies management and he also had no issue attending the freshers events
Reply 10
Original post by Eremor
Impossible for me to say as every department runs differently. But someone in my flat studies management and he also had no issue attending the freshers events

I thought that might be the case but cheers for the response :smile: How much do you think is the average amount that people at Leicester spend in Freshers? Or how much, roughly, did you spend?
Hey! Are you going to join the Uni?
Reply 13
Original post by Wincastle

I am indeed😊 I've got my place (deferred from last year) so will be starting this September! You??
I am waiting for other Universities responses. But I do think I will choose Leicester. The atmosphere seems good and friendly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending