The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
xemilyx
Just a question, everyone is going on about Opal court, is that private because I was under the impression it was Leeds Met accom. Maybe I am wrong :redface:

yeh i think opal court is private.....n if its any think like liberty park they give some of their flats to leeds met some to leeds uni and the art n technology places i think......but they can be applied to direct rather than through one of the unis
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
I'm in Leodis, which is £3650/year. Self catered, ensuite, you share a flat with about 6 people. It's only a 15 minutes (10 if you're late) walk to lectures and where I am now is fairly good. There are parties and stuff but most people go out.

However, if you need your sleep (like me) ask to be put with international students as they are quieter, and my old flatmates were terribly noisy. It was a joke. The walls are fairly thin, so keep down the rampant sex.

Or politely ask people to use gags of some description.

It is lovely here though.
Reply 22
lejones17
yeh i think opal court is private.....n if its any think like liberty park they give some of their flats to leeds met some to leeds uni and the art n technology places i think......but they can be applied to direct rather than through one of the unis

Thanks for the info :smile: I quite like the look of Opal court, might try live there next year.
Does anyone know when you can start to apply for accomodation? The website says November, but right now all you get is a dead link. :s-smilie:
Give it time. I wouldn't worry, it's not "first come, first served" so there's no huge advantage in applying early.
Reply 25
Leonardo85
mmmh Opal Court sounds interesting!!!! :wink: not for the x-boxes, with Chinese Studies I dont think I'll even have the time to piss without having to study...but double beds and sofas, large bathroom areas, sounds great!

I'll try to come to an opening day, I came last year and only had the time to look at the lessons because the college organization sucked so we could stay only for a couple of hours..quite useless apart from the info I got about the lessons...next time I'll make sure to take a loook at the campuses and avoid Liberty Park! and if you people dont mind, I could ask you to show me your campus maybe?

lol they dont get double beds unless u pay alot more for the room like all places av extra cost rooms that r bigger! and lol def wudnt say the bathroom area is large
I lived in Bodington before I dropped out. The rooms are quite small, more like a boxroom, but the facilities are second to none- (sports pitches, shop, bar, computer cluster etc etc). I'm going to apply for Lupton this year though.
Dunno if this will help at all but I know last year I wanted to see pictures of everywhere, of the rooms, so here's a couple of mine at James Baillie Park (I fully endorse it, I love living here, although it is expensive.)

Next to the wardrobe there's a small ensuite, with a teeny shower, sink and toilet but it does the trick! My boyfriend got lucky though and got a spare disabled room- it's double the size of mine, with a bath and loads of floorspace!
Reply 28
I'm in lupton...really pleased with it....
good location, can walk to uni/town but also got headingley on your doorstep if you just need to go to the shop or want a quick cupla drinks

there arent any fancy facilities but everythings been refurbished within the last couple of years, so what you get is decent quality

value for money! well its debatable whether any leeds uni halls are value for money, but it is the cheapest

because its not massive, its quite social, i know basically all 40 people in my block, whereas ive visited my friends at other halls and they seem to only really know their flatmates, although bod did seem pretty social.....

downsides....rooms can be pretty small, some are pretty sizeable but mine is a shoebox, not that I really care....no common room, bar, flashy other stuff, there are some trees though....

that is all
I live in Leodis. In addition to what immortal said above (it really can be very noisy. In fact it seemed like the kitchen just opposite my door was the common room for the whole bloody place in fresher's week!), the kitchens are a little on the small side for just 6 people. There's not enough counter space, there's not enough fridge space, and there's not enough cupboard space. I'm having to keep ALL of my pots, pans and crockery in my room rather than in the kitchen, just because there's nowhere to put all of them.

However, it is very well situated and the room and bathroom are excellently sized and kept. I just wish I'd moved to a quieter (and more friendly) flat nearer the beginning of term...
Reply 30
I'm in Lupton and I do genuinley think it's maybe the best deal when it comes to accomodation. It's about 20/25 min walk to uni and takes about 10/15 mins by bus normally [unless it's rush hour when it's probably quicker to walk]. Flats are the same in every block and 5 people live in the flat. The rooms are all of pretty decent size, though all the rooms in the flat are evry different. If your lucky you'll get room 3 which is the biggest and has 2 windows. Though I moved from a room 3 to room 4 [the box room] which is still quite a good size. It's all pretty cosy as well and as it's all been refurbished the bathroom and kitchen are quite good. only thing is, is that the oven isn't the BEST so yuo have to leave stuff in there for a bit longer! toilet and shower are in seperate cubicles and there are 2 sinks so theres never a problem of not being able to get into the bathroom.

I know that they're increasing security even more here after my 'episode' [my laptop was stolen through my window while i was in my room. I was basically unlucky] and I knwo that they are going to put bars on all of the windows next year, not just the ground floor ones as I was on the first floor. I've found that the site staff are also great and really helpful. Basically I love Lupton.

Some pics:

my old room

kitchen

corridor
Reply 31
geez is the poster in the laundry the actual cctv footage from when your laptop got nicked?
Reply 32
Yeeeeep
Haha, we have the same bed linen. (Sorry, totally irrelevant comment I know!)
well....i live in carr mills....and i LOVE it....
gorgeous..x
^ err, okay?
PinkPigeon
Dunno if this will help at all but I know last year I wanted to see pictures of everywhere, of the rooms, so here's a couple of mine at James Baillie Park (I fully endorse it, I love living here, although it is expensive.)

Next to the wardrobe there's a small ensuite, with a teeny shower, sink and toilet but it does the trick! My boyfriend got lucky though and got a spare disabled room- it's double the size of mine, with a bath and loads of floorspace!
Huh, I thought all the small rooms were copies of each other. Damn those bastards in there disabled flats lol :p:. Don't the disabled rooms have their own kitchens, or am I thinkin' of something else?
Oh and apologies for the message above, I was drunk and pissed off!
matt@internet
Huh, I thought all the small rooms were copies of each other. Damn those bastards in there disabled flats lol :p:. Don't the disabled rooms have their own kitchens, or am I thinkin' of something else?
Oh and apologies for the message above, I was drunk and pissed off!

Nope, all the rooms vary in size, everyone in my flat's in slightly different and people downstairs are also different. The ones with their own kitchens are the studio flats- not reccomended, as far as I know they're pretty cramped and lonely! Go with a normal flat, with other people, it's great.
Reply 38
I'm at Devonshire Hall and if I was choosing again I'd 100% choose Dev again.
Location is perfect. Up a lovely leafy residential street (they're all accustomed to the students!) so it doesn't feel like you're stuck in the middle of Leeds. Uni is just a fifteen minute walk away and all the shops you need are in Hyde Park at the bottom of the road. Also a ten-fifteen minute walk from Headingley too.
Dev has a reputation for being filled with rahs.. and it's all true. However, they're mostly in catered rather than self-catered where I am. But saying that.. they're all perfectly nice!
My room is pretty spacious for a student room and I'm ensuite which is really nice. In a flat with four other girls and they seem to have matched us all up really well. We're all from the North or Midlands (most are from the South at Dev) and are doing similar subjects.
Just had the Christmas Ball which was really good fun and there is generally a great atmosphere with tons and tons of socials and stuff to do.
I absolutely love it there and really don't want to leave at the end of the year! xx
Im at Kirkstall, room sizes are resonable, onsite bar is good and fairly cheap. The only problem is noise, and security are pretty useless about breaking up partys, last night there were about 20 people in the carpark just outside my building from about 1-5 when they went back to someones flat for karaoke (at least thats what it sounded like).

Latest