The Student Room Group

50 shades of Grey

Anyone watching 50 shades of grey? What do your think about it?

Scroll to see replies

I am not watching 50 Shades of Grey and, after reading some of the reviews, I don't plan on watching it.
Hate to be a hater but I think it sounds like over-hyped crap.
Me and my friends made like a dare thing that I'm gonna watch it, then half way through I'll start playing a vuvuzela

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yeah dude
Me and my friends made like a dare thing that I'm gonna watch it, then half way through I'll start playing a vuvuzela

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by iammeyouareyou
I am not watching 50 Shades of Grey and, after reading some of the reviews, I don't plan on watching it.
Hate to be a hater but I think it sounds like over-hyped crap.

Maybe it sounds crap and it aint that great but I have read all 3 of the books and personally I think its quite good. I know it encourages BDSM and as if there is nothing wrong with it. But if you think without that its quite good. It's just my opinion
it's over-hyped crap which glorifies a controlling and abusive relationship. I will definitely not be watching it.

oh and it was based on Twilight fanfiction which tells you all you need to know

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
It basically romanticizes domestic abuse and inaccurately portrays BDSM. The books are awful and the film looks just as horrific.
I on the other hand am going to see the film tomorrow night and I'm so excited about it! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Nope. Hated the book. Film looks just as bad

But I'm one of the few people out there that isn't against it for "glorifying abuse". And if that's your opinion, fair enough... But at least read a decent article about it to make your conclusion instead of that **** I saw on Tumblr the other day with the most irrelevant quotes. Sigh.

(Not directed at anyone. Just saying...)
Reply 9
Definitely going to see it!
Taking the piss out of the Twilight films is fun but this looks like it's going to be even worse and therefore better.
Original post by AdamCee
Nope. Hated the book. Film looks just as bad

But I'm one of the few people out there that isn't against it for "glorifying abuse". And if that's your opinion, fair enough... But at least read a decent article about it to make your conclusion instead of that **** I saw on Tumblr the other day with the most irrelevant quotes. Sigh.

(Not directed at anyone. Just saying...)

Don't lie, it's directed at me, I've been talking smack okay I'll admit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yeah dude
Don't lie, it's directed at me, I've been talking smack okay I'll admit

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's true.

You need to sort it out.

But, admitting you were wrong is the first step to being forgiven, well done
Read the books and loathed them. It's garbage. Ain't sexy, it's abusive. Will not be wasting time nor money with that drivel.
Original post by AdamCee
It's true.

You need to sort it out.

I don't know though, maybe I don't like it because somebody was throwing popcorn at the other side of the room, I was trying to catch it, my girlfriend was jumping over me as I was going long to try to catch the popcorn, it was like the Super Bowl in the cinema, it's all his fault whoever threw the damn popcorn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdamCee
It's true.

You need to sort it out.

Whether you think it's abusive or not; Christian Grey is clearly a weird-ass nutter and the girl should win a prize in stupid.
Original post by tupper_ware
Whether you think it's abusive or not; Christian Grey is clearly a weird-ass nutter and the girl should win a prize in stupid.

That, I agree with
Watching it tomorrow night with my housemates.

I'm not expecting it to be good, but will be a laugh after a few cocktails! :biggrin:
Its probably one of the most liberating pieces of literature since Lady Chatterley's Lover. A young girl breaking taboos and exploring her desires. I watched it was a totally female audience and thought how wonderful it was for them to be able to go to the cinema and watch a piece of erotica that would previously have been considered so taboo. 100 years ago in the UK they would have been arrested, in Saudia Arabia today, they would be lashed. We are incredibly lucky
I've read the fanfiction it was based on :K: It's poorly written- she compares an orgasm to a spin cycle on a washing machine, which is basically the least sexy imagery ever. Also I don't like seeing the romanticisation of such a controlling and manipulative character (Christian Grey)
Reply 19
Not my cup of tea. Sexually abused guy sexually abuses girl. Can't stand romance.

Quick Reply

Latest