The Student Room Group

Why does insulin have to be taken intravenously?

Please explain
Reply 1
In diabetic ketoacidosis it needs to be given intravenously as a fixed rate infusion because this is a medical emergency. Otherwise, insulin is administered subcutaneously in non-emergency situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by lydiafoof
Please explain

It doesn't?

Or do you mean why can't it be given orally, in which case anyone with A-level Biology should be able to work it out.
Reply 3
Original post by Helenia
It doesn't?

Or do you mean why can't it be given orally, in which case anyone with A-level Biology should be able to work it out.

Why can't it be given orally?
:lol: The stomach acid would denature it beyond its ability to work. You know, that's what the stomach is for: Breaking things down.
Why can't it be given orally?

A level biology! :tongue: insulin is a protein....and there are protease enzymes in the stomach....
same question asked by the same poster and answered at length by Nurses and Pharmacists

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=53642091
Original post by zippyRN
same question asked by the same poster and answered at length by Nurses and Pharmacists
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=53642091

I am an unperson it seems :frown:
Original post by Democracy
I am an unperson it seems :frown:

sorry i didn;t take in you'd answered on that version of the thread ... blame sunday morning sleepiness for that
Original post by zippyRN
sorry i didn;t take in you'd answered on that version of the thread ... blame sunday morning sleepiness for that

I'm just messing with you - enjoy your Sunday.
Reply 10
Please explain

Insulin has to be taken intravenously (IV) because the liquid form will travel fast through the bloodstream to interact with the blood sugars. If insulin was in a solid form (non-IV), the matter would take longer to breakdown and therefore there would be a slower response with the interaction with blood sugars.
Because SC is more profitable than oral formulations. This is how companies like GlaxoSmithKline make their millions. Medication given as an injection also has a bigger placebo effect.

You're all sheep being conned by big pharma.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by QuidditchFan
A level biology! :tongue: insulin is a protein....and there are protease enzymes in the stomach....

Not even A Level. My biology (GCSE) teacher said exactly that for the topic on diabetes.
Speed of administration in a medical emergency, as well as the fact stomach acid has an exceedingly low pH and would denature the enzyme before it had any effect.
Original post by King Boo
Speed of administration in a medical emergency, as well as the fact stomach acid has an exceedingly low pH and would denature the enzyme before it had any effect.

Insulin is a hormone, not an enzyme :fyi:
Original post by Democracy
Insulin is a hormone, not an enzyme :fyi:

Touché sir. Been revising michaelis menten kinetics for too long it would appear :eek:
Original post by Etomidate
Because SC is more profitable than oral formulations. This is how companies like GlaxoSmithKline make their millions. Medication given as an injection also has a bigger placebo effect.

You're all sheep being conned by big pharma.

I know this is true because literally all drugs sold by big pharma are injections and not pills.
Please explain

Insulin contains peptide bonds which become deionised/broken by stomach acid therefore breaking the compound down if taken by mouth. Taking insulin intravenously by passes the stomach allowing insulin to function .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SmashConcept
I know this is true because literally all drugs sold by big pharma are injections and not pills.

I would argue the opposite. Oral formulations tend to have higher patient adherence rates than parenteral formulations (easier to take tablets/capsules/oral liquids than an injection, either auto-injecting or an injection being administered by a HCP). Greater patient adherence means that the prescribers are more likely to prescribe it (assuming that the drug is effective, etc.), meaning that the drug companies get more drug sales.

Having said that, though, I'm wondering whether you were just being sarcastic :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending