The Student Room Group

Resitting a year

Hi all,

I was initially at university but dropped out after first year, since then I started a new course at a different university.
First year at new uni went fine but I think I may fail second year (the year I'm currently in). So far everything has been paid for by student finance. If I do fail this year will I still be able to claim student finance for the remainder of my course? Or will I have to pay privately for a year?

I've seen some posts that say SFE gives you one gift year in addition to each year of your course, but other posts that disagree with this. Does this mean I will have to pay for one year?

Any help would be great :smile:

Reply 1
You will have to refund a resit year yourself. Everyone gets a "grace" year of funding but you have already used it with your first uni attempt.

The calculation in your situation is:

Number of years of your current degree (minus) Number of years of previous uni study (plus) One year = Remaining years of entitlement to Student Finance

For that calculation, partial years are counted as complete. Without a resit year, you will have 3-1+1=3 years - enough to cover you until you finish the degree. If you have to resit a year, you would not have enough years of entitlement to cover that year. Full SF woukd kick back in for your third year.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending