The Student Room Group

Social Mobility Foundation - Aspiring Professionals Programme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emilymolly19
Awh ������������. I really felt like I didn't fit in with everyone, I was looked older than most people and was really awkward ������ it sounds really good though!

Hi Emily,

Hope you're well! Sorry to hear you didn't feel like you fitted in - all the students are roughly the same age (16/17) and in Year 12, so there isn't too much difference between everyone's ages. Looking older isn't necessarily a bad thing either - a lot of our students look more mature in their business attire and it makes you look more professional!

Please remember you can always come and speak to the APP Coordinators at the events or call 0161 850 2809 (Manchester) or 0207 183 1189 (London) if you have any concerns

Best wishes,

The SMF
Original post by GeekyAlec
I felt I didn't fit in either, although it may have been down to the fact I had a bright blue jumper on and everyone was in grey / black - I felt so awkward haha: it wasn't my fault though, I'd just come from my volunteering post haha :')

Hi Alec,

I hope you're well. Sorry to hear you felt awkward at the event the other day - wearing a bright blue jumper isn't a bad thing. Often when it's cold we expect people to wear jumpers to keep warm. As long as it's plain and not too bright then blue is perfectly acceptable to still look smart and professional.

Best wishes,

The SMF
Original post by jampot98
Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for the Whitehall residential and they just emailed me the possible dates it could be, but not whether I've been accepted or not.

Me too! I really hope I get accepted! It would be such a fabulous opportunity! Just hoping to find out soon!
Has anyone heard back about uni visits?
Has anyone heard back about uni visits?

Yh, I got a confirmation email a few days ago about the uni visit to the University of Nottingham. Which universities are you going to?
Original post by Aspiring__Doctor
Yh, I got a confirmation email a few days ago about the uni visit to the University of Nottingham. Which universities are you going to?

I got confirmation for Manchester! Am so happy, considering university of Manchester!
There seems to be a lot of people being invited to workshops and so on on the pages twitter, however, I haven't been invited to any of these. Anyone else the same?
There seems to be a lot of people being invited to workshops and so on on the pages twitter, however, I haven't been invited to any of these. Anyone else the same?

Yh, that's what I'm thinking. But it might be location specific and career specific events.
Yh, that's what I'm thinking. But it might be location specific and career specific events.

That's all I could think! Are you going to any uni open days
That's all I could think! Are you going to any uni open days

I only went to the uni of Nottingham one, I was offered Liverpool and Birmingham but I couldn't make those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only went to the uni of Nottingham one, I was offered Liverpool and Birmingham but I couldn't make those.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh was it good? I'm going Manchester next week! How many people were on the visit?
Ohh was it good? I'm going Manchester next week! How many people were on the visit?

It was ok, nothing students weren't already aware of. The talk on student finance and explaining accommodation was good. There were 12 of us students from Birmingham and there was a coach of about 50 students from London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone heard anything yet about residentials?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone heard anything yet about residentials?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still waiting to find out about Whitehall! You?

I really want to know now
I'm still waiting to find out about Whitehall! You?

I really want to know now

Yh same, I applied for Whitehall as well, after they sent out the email about provisional dates they haven't said anything else and that was 3 weeks ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh same, I applied for Whitehall as well, after they sent out the email about provisional dates they haven't said anything else and that was 3 weeks ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah! I asked a few weeks ago when we'd find out via email and they said we would know by the end of last week :/ I don't want to keep pestering
Yeah! I asked a few weeks ago when we'd find out via email and they said we would know by the end of last week :/ I don't want to keep pestering

Did you get an email?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you get an email?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I just got accept into the Whitehall residential!!! You? X
Yh I got accepted as well, but I might decline the offer because I've been accepted on to a paid work experience programme with Ernst and young called smart futures. I'm still not sure though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who's received news about mentors? I'm still waiting to hear from SMF about my mentor.

Quick Reply

Latest