The Student Room Group

Choosing new subjects

My school is just starting to issue option forms for next years subjects- sixth year for me! :biggrin:- and was wondering what everyone else is planning on taking?
I did five highers this year and I am planning to do three AHs next year and maybe another higher if necessary but the guidelines haven't been confirmed yet as to how many subjects we have to take, hope its not five :rolleyes:
I'm choosing subjects for sixth year too :smile:

This year I've done 4 highers and a nat 5 in maths and was thinking of doing 4 more highers but I don't know if that's pointless or not? I'm not interested in doing advanced highers so I'm thinking of taking higher modern studies, geography, psychology and media. I was thinking of doing advanced history but idk.
Reply 2
Original post by ashleymacleod
I'm choosing subjects for sixth year too :smile:

This year I've done 4 highers and a nat 5 in maths and was thinking of doing 4 more highers but I don't know if that's pointless or not? I'm not interested in doing advanced highers so I'm thinking of taking higher modern studies, geography, psychology and media. I was thinking of doing advanced history but idk.

Yeah I suppose it all depends on what you want to go on and do. I've heard that a lot of Unis are now advising not to take AH subjects if you don't need them for your course but then again there's no reason not to if you really enjoy them
Do only what you need.
I picked loads of unnecessary stuff out of interest and now I cant be bothered with it anymore.
The struggle is real

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Pennyarcade
Do only what you need.
I picked loads of unnecessary stuff out of interest and now I cant be bothered with it anymore.
The struggle is real

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha oh well I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end :wink:
Legit though, PA's right pick only things you need or easy things you have an interest in. I picked H Graphic Comm bc I thought I'd need it for engineering, changed my mind about engineering now wishing I could be chilling in Home Ec but too late to change :frown:
I've picked AH Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Dreading next year.
Original post by caitybirdy23
I've picked AH Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Dreading next year.

Good luck keeping your sanity :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am picking my subjects next week :P

I am picking Higher Chemistry, Higher Human Bio, Advanced Higher Physics and Advanced Higher Computing Science.
Original post by Princepieman
Good luck keeping your sanity :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i can't make any promises
Reply 10
I have no idea what to pick as I'm doing my choices next week too.

So far I know I want Advanced Higher Computer Science. But other than that I have no clue.

This year I took Higher Comp Sci, Higher Maths, Higher English and Higher Chemistry.

I most likely want to do either the Ethical Hacking course at Abertay or some other Computer Science degree.

Ethical Hacking I need 1 A and 3 B's and for most of the computer science degrees I need 2 A's and 2 B's or 3 A's and a B or higher. (Minimum requirements but yeah)

So I really don't know what I'm going to take. Because if I get the minimum grades I need then I most likely won't want to do any of my subjects in Advanced Higher except comp sci.

I'm so stuck right now. ~_~
Taking AH geography, maths and chemistry, but possibly thinking of doing an extra higher in either French, psychology or physics but still not decided!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C16
I have no idea what to pick as I'm doing my choices next week too.

So far I know I want Advanced Higher Computer Science. But other than that I have no clue.

This year I took Higher Comp Sci, Higher Maths, Higher English and Higher Chemistry.

I most likely want to do either the Ethical Hacking course at Abertay or some other Computer Science degree.

Ethical Hacking I need 1 A and 3 B's and for most of the computer science degrees I need 2 A's and 2 B's or 3 A's and a B or higher. (Minimum requirements but yeah)

So I really don't know what I'm going to take. Because if I get the minimum grades I need then I most likely won't want to do any of my subjects in Advanced Higher except comp sci.

I'm so stuck right now. ~_~

AH Maths will be quite helpful for Comp Sci at uni. Even if you stick to Scottish ones (I didn't), it makes the first year somewhat easier from what I've heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advanced English, chemistry, biology and modern studies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending