The Student Room Group

Is there still a chance to get all A's in my As level?

My exams are under 3 months away, i take chemistry, maths, biology and english lit.
I'm really nervous as the exams are coming closer and closer and I really want all A's.. is there still a chance of obtaining these grades if I start to revise intensively from now? (I have been working from the start of the year but I'm not really on A grades more like B's C's and D's if I'm honest, my predicted is AACC) :/
Reply 1
Original post by chemstudent314
My exams are under 3 months away, i take chemistry, maths, biology and english lit.
I'm really nervous as the exams are coming closer and closer and I really want all A's.. is there still a chance of obtaining these grades if I start to revise intensively from now? (I have been working from the start of the year but I'm not really on A grades more like B's C's and D's if I'm honest, my predicted is AACC) :/

It's always possible to improve your grades if you work at it! Most of the stuff I say will be more relevant to chemistry, maths and biology because english is a pretty different exam and I didn't take it, but some things apply to all. If you've been working since the start of the year, you might just need more work, or it might be that your methods aren't very effective for you.

First, find out all your exam dates if you haven't already so you know roughly how much time you have. You can use this to put together a revision timetable - a lot of people seem to be starting one now to last until Easter, and doing a new timetable then with increased revision as it's closer to exams. Draw a grid showing a week or two, then mark in all the time you're regularly unable to revise (sleeping, eating, in lessons, work etc). Figure out which subjects need more time and prioritise accordingly, but make sure you're doing revision for all of them. You can do a fairly flexible one (eg. a checklist of things to complete for each day, or a to do list for the week) or one with specific times to do specific things. Remember to take regular short breaks and still have some time to relax so that you don't get too stressed out.

As for actual revision, first check your notes don't have any gaps. You can do this by comparing with a revision guide/textbook, or with the exam specification which you can find on the exam boards website. There will be a section that bulletpoints all the things you need to know. If there is anything you don't understand, go speak to your teachers about it as soon as possible to get it fixed.

Collect together all your mocks and any past papers you've completed. Go through them and find all the marks you've lost and why. Look for repeating problems - if you always lose marks when asked for definitions, or if you never get the 3rd mark on 3 mark questions. This will help you identify problem topics, or if you struggle with answering the question they're asking and other exam technique problems. Once you know where you're going wrong, you can work on fixing it.

How you actually revise depends on you. Past papers and practice questions are very helpful (particularly for maths), but only if you actually know enough of the content to start with. Find a technique that works for you (revision notes - condensed versions of your actual notes, posters, index cards - question/word on the front, answer/definition on the back, post it notes or posters of things you struggle with put up somewhere you see them every day). Look at how many past papers you have access to so that you don't run out too quickly, as some subjects only have a handful of papers available.

Basically though it's a case of identifying the problems, putting a lot of work in and seeing how you go. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Lau14
It's always possible to improve your grades if you work at it! Most of the stuff I say will be more relevant to chemistry, maths and biology because english is a pretty different exam and I didn't take it, but some things apply to all. If you've been working since the start of the year, you might just need more work, or it might be that your methods aren't very effective for you.

First, find out all your exam dates if you haven't already so you know roughly how much time you have. You can use this to put together a revision timetable - a lot of people seem to be starting one now to last until Easter, and doing a new timetable then with increased revision as it's closer to exams. Draw a grid showing a week or two, then mark in all the time you're regularly unable to revise (sleeping, eating, in lessons, work etc). Figure out which subjects need more time and prioritise accordingly, but make sure you're doing revision for all of them. You can do a fairly flexible one (eg. a checklist of things to complete for each day, or a to do list for the week) or one with specific times to do specific things. Remember to take regular short breaks and still have some time to relax so that you don't get too stressed out.

As for actual revision, first check your notes don't have any gaps. You can do this by comparing with a revision guide/textbook, or with the exam specification which you can find on the exam boards website. There will be a section that bulletpoints all the things you need to know. If there is anything you don't understand, go speak to your teachers about it as soon as possible to get it fixed.

Collect together all your mocks and any past papers you've completed. Go through them and find all the marks you've lost and why. Look for repeating problems - if you always lose marks when asked for definitions, or if you never get the 3rd mark on 3 mark questions. This will help you identify problem topics, or if you struggle with answering the question they're asking and other exam technique problems. Once you know where you're going wrong, you can work on fixing it.

How you actually revise depends on you. Past papers and practice questions are very helpful (particularly for maths), but only if you actually know enough of the content to start with. Find a technique that works for you (revision notes - condensed versions of your actual notes, posters, index cards - question/word on the front, answer/definition on the back, post it notes or posters of things you struggle with put up somewhere you see them every day). Look at how many past papers you have access to so that you don't run out too quickly, as some subjects only have a handful of papers available.

Basically though it's a case of identifying the problems, putting a lot of work in and seeing how you go. Good luck! :smile:

This is so helpful thank you so much, I will try to make a more flexible timetable and the question and answer note thing sounds like a great idea!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest