The Student Room Group

Masters Funding Advice

Hey there,

Anyone here who has, or is doing, a masters degree, could you tell me where you found the funds for it?

The University I've applied to has been pretty useless with its advice, since the only thing they could advise when I told them that I wasn't eligible for any of the scholarships was "most students find the money themselves".

I am currently on a year out but due to circumstances out of my control I cannot earn enough money this year to fund the masters I've got an offer for, which starts this Sept.

Is there any kind of organisation which can help me, or a particular bank loan which is for people like me?

Google 'Professional and Career Development Loan' which seems to be the sort of thing you're looking for. But read the small print, they are more like commercial loans than student finance - for example you start to pay back pretty quickly after your course finishes and repayments can be high.

Alternatively there is speculation about government Postgrad loans if the Conservatives win the next election, which may be more favourable and worth investigating. It's unlikely that they will be in place for this year though.

I did what a lot of people have to do - part time Masters whilst working.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending