The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Help!! Trying to understand my PG marks

Hello everyone,

I attended University of Sussex back in 2008, and I earned a Master of Arts in English Literature. I know it's been a few many years but I'm now trying to figure out what my marks mean? I was born and raised in California, so my understanding of the English marking system is very poor.

I earned a 75 on my final dissertation and a 70 as an overall mark. My classmates at the time congratulated me, reassuring me that my marks were not poor by any means! However, being American, 70 translates into a very LOW grade, and after all these years I'm starting to have doubts. I would love some clarification.

I have contacted the university, but they weren't able to provide me any helpful information at the time. Ultimately, I need to know what these marks translate into when converted to the American GPA system. As for now, I'd just like some insight as to how I did! Any piece of information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Original post by highexposure
Hello everyone,

I attended University of Sussex back in 2008, and I earned a Master of Arts in English Literature. I know it's been a few many years but I'm now trying to figure out what my marks mean? I was born and raised in California, so my understanding of the English marking system is very poor.

I earned a 75 on my final dissertation and a 70 as an overall mark. My classmates at the time congratulated me, reassuring me that my marks were not poor by any means! However, being American, 70 translates into a very LOW grade, and after all these years I'm starting to have doubts. I would love some clarification.

I have contacted the university, but they weren't able to provide me any helpful information at the time. Ultimately, I need to know what these marks translate into when converted to the American GPA system. As for now, I'd just like some insight as to how I did! Any piece of information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

At UK institutions, your degree is classified in terms of the following categories:

70% or higher = First Class
60-69% = Upper Second Class (2:1)
50-59% = Lower Second Class (2:2)
40-49% = Third Class (3)
Below 40% = Fail

You achieved the highest class possible, so well done. There is no direct comparison between the UK system and the American GPA, but you can get a rough idea of what level you are working at by taking a weighted average of you grades. There are online converters that will help you do this, but 70% at a British institution puts you as one of the better students. Regardless to whether you average 70% or 100%, your final grade classification is still a first.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Hello everyone,

Was your MA integrated into your undergraduate degree or a stand alone MA?

Regardless of which it is you've achieved the top band.

For a stand alone masters the grading is as follows;
50%= pass
60% = merit
70% = distinctions

For an integrated masters and undergrad the grading is
40% = 3rd class
50% = 2.2
60% = 2.1
70% = 1st
Reply 3
Thanks for getting back to me!! No, the MA was not integrated into my undergraduate study. I pursued it separately and years later. So I can assume then that both the undergrad and postgrad marking system is the same? I've read somewhere (probably another blog) that marking systems in UK are unique in that they differ from program to program, university to university. Is this true at all? Or is a 70 a distinction period and I can move on with my life?

Thanks so much
Thanks for getting back to me!! No, the MA was not integrated into my undergraduate study. I pursued it separately and years later. So I can assume then that both the undergrad and postgrad marking system is the same? I've read somewhere (probably another blog) that marking systems in UK are unique in that they differ from program to program, university to university. Is this true at all? Or is a 70 a distinction period and I can move on with my life?

Thanks so much

70% is the standard for a Distinction accross almost all universities. It's only Masters that are completely research based with no taught modules that differ (eg. MPhil)
Reply 5
Hello everyone,

As a Postgraduate Student at Sussex.

According to University regulations:

If you have averaged 70% and obtained half of your total credits are above 70%, then you have a distinction
According to Fulbright a uk undergrad degree of 70% would be equal to a 4.0 GPA. So, if your masters is 70% (distinction) then it would be the same or similar in GPA rank but at a higher level.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for their replies and insight on this matter. The university just got back to me with their "official" response to PG marks. Apparently, when I agreed to attend university I also agreed to their change of "regulations" (always read the fine print) which stated for year 08/09 a 85% was distinction, and 80% a merit, and some lower percentage a pass. Thus my 70% is a PASS. Which is shocking news to me because my mates even back then were telling me that a 70% earned a distinction.

I don't understand how the UK doesn't impose a standard for marks. It seems to me that there IS a standard, as indicated by everyone's response. How could the university do this? Any thoughts?

Thank you!!!
You could speak to your student union and see if there is any advice they can give you. It seems a little odd given that their policy is the same now as others have mentioned.

https://www.sussex.ac.uk/webteam/gateway/file.php?name=examination-and-assessment-regulations-handbook-2014-15-v3.pdf&site=457

you want page 18.
hey guys!
I'm from Turkey and I have an unconditional offer from Heriot-Watt University in MSc Climate Change and also I have an offer from University of Sussex at the same course but I'm really confused because Edinburgh is a big city and I can work on my own professional area when I study and also Edinburgh is cheaper according to living expenses. On the other hands University of Sussex is really successful university. I really need your help, can not making a decision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending