The Student Room Group

GCSE students, How is your revision going?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ImagineCats
Ahh nice one! Do you use vocab express? It's an online vocab learning website which some schools have. Pretty helpful

nah we use active learn though, often our homework is just exercises on active learn
Original post by littlehighers
I'll.... I'll... start soon....

I just need to get all these controlled assessments out of the way :eek:

I'm a mature student and we got given the ISA last week bouncing balls and polymer strength, got everything sorted but like you said the quicker these get finished the quicker I can get back to working my tush off in revision lol
Reply 22
Original post by Kyle1198
I did a bit of Geography (edexcel b) over February half term, and I'm going to start to tackle my weakest subjects this week. I made a timetable and will hopefully have the willpower to stick to it.

I really REALLY recommend downloading and printing exam specifications, they're like a checklist of everything you need to know in the exam. This saves you from writing useless stuff in your notes from textbooks that you don't need to know, and you can really make sure you know everything you need to for the exam.

I'm using the specification for the sciences, they ARE very helpful. For geography, how did you revise for it?
Reply 23
Argh there's so many case studies to learn for geography it's so frustrating. Whats the Mr Bruff videos?

Tell me about it and we also do dynamic planet (physical geography) and it's soooo boring!
Here's the link to Mr bruff videos, (all the tips to get that A* for English) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx23GNO0JhE&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cBnjI-6RVe2xKF43Rzj7f6O
Original post by Hiba.A
Tell me about it and we also do dynamic planet (physical geography) and it's soooo boring!
Here's the link to Mr bruff videos, (all the tips to get that A* for English) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx23GNO0JhE&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cBnjI-6RVe2xKF43Rzj7f6O

Oooh thank you! I'll give these a shot! I want a B in lit and A in lang ergh
Original post by Hiba.A
I'm using the specification for the sciences, they ARE very helpful. For geography, how did you revise for it?

I revised from the textbook, ticking off from the spec as I go. I don't know what exam board you are, but I'm edexcel b and the spec tells you specifically which kind of case study to revise, for example something like 'primary and secondary impacts of an earthquake in an LEDC' (btw I plucked this one out of thin air I don't actually know if this is in the spec) so from there I note down the info needed for that study and convert them on flash cards.
Reply 26
Oooh thank you! I'll give these a shot! I want a B in lit and A in lang ergh

To be honest i would be VERY happy with an A for english
Reply 27
I revised from the textbook, ticking off from the spec as I go. I don't know what exam board you are, but I'm edexcel b and the spec tells you specifically which kind of case study to revise, for example something like 'primary and secondary impacts of an earthquake in an LEDC' (btw I plucked this one out of thin air I don't actually know if this is in the spec) so from there I note down the info needed for that study and convert them on flash cards.

Edexcel B as well, for my mocks i used notes from the internet and crammed the night before. What revision guide do you use?
plan is to revise for religion, maths, core science and cram for the rest.

i haven't started revision yet though... ooops
Original post by Hiba.A
Edexcel B as well, for my mocks i used notes from the internet and crammed the night before. What revision guide do you use?

This:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1444193937/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1425243725&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=edexcel+b+geography+revision+guide&dpPl=1&dpID=41uvtV7SHML&ref=plSrch
This revision guide is concise, and goes by the exam spec. It even has case studies in them, which apparently not a lot of the study guides do.

There is also a textbook written by edexcel but it's crap and apparently aimed at b and c grade students (not that bs and Cs are bad but if you're aiming for higher then it's not for you)
Reply 30
This:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1444193937/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1425243725&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=edexcel+b+geography+revision+guide&dpPl=1&dpID=41uvtV7SHML&ref=plSrch
This revision guide is concise, and goes by the exam spec. It even has case studies in them, which apparently not a lot of the study guides do.

There is also a textbook written by edexcel but it's crap and apparently aimed at b and c grade students (not that bs and Cs are bad but if you're aiming for higher then it's not for you)

Thanks for the link
Reply 31
I keep saying I'll start, but it's so annoying having homework and CAs to do at the same time. I've been watching videos and making notes for Triple Science and Maths. French I've been learning for a CA and the rest I haven't started properly yet. After this wednesday I'll have all CW and all my CAs done so I can focus on it.

I struggle to start but when I turn my laptop and phone off and just sit with my revision materials I actually get somewhere. Going to start making flashcards tomorrow :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Polapod
I keep saying I'll start, but it's so annoying having homework and CAs to do at the same time. I've been watching videos and making notes for Triple Science and Maths. French I've been learning for a CA and the rest I haven't started properly yet. After this wednesday I'll have all CW and all my CAs done so I can focus on it.

I struggle to start but when I turn my laptop and phone off and just sit with my revision materials I actually get somewhere. Going to start making flashcards tomorrow :smile:

That sounds good! I really need to get my cw finished by tomorrow. What's your exam board for science
Reply 33
Original post by Hiba.A
That sounds good! I really need to get my cw finished by tomorrow. What's your exam board for science

Good luck with finishing it! I do AQA Science
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
I've already started. It's so annoying because I literally come home from school, revise, eat, revise, go to sleep and then wake up to do it all again. I can't wait for it to be over, I want my life back!! :s::eek3:
Original post by bassbabe
I've already started. It's so annoying because I literally come home from school, revise, eat, revise, go to sleep and then wake up to do it all again. I can't wait for it to be over, I want my life back!! :s::eek3:

The hard work will be worth it!
When did you start and how many hours are you doing a day?
I said I'd start tommorow doing 2hours a day.. Let's see how that pans out
I started around the beginning of feb and I do about 3 hours daily, but I still feel it's not enough.
Original post by Rudimentary
Have you completed most of your notes?

nearly but I've put it on hold as I've got mock exams... tomorrow :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest