The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I read somewere that reading books (not just fiction but biographies and other stuff etc) might help improving "common sense".
Broad-minded = when tackling a problem, think of how you would usually answer and perhaps then try to think of alternative ways of going about it?
Reply 3
I suspect that you meant to ask, "How can I learn to think more laterally?"
Reply 4
Profesh

I am talking about the typical questions that come up in an A level exam paper that require common sense.
I was doing an exam paper and couldnt answer the questions, I looked at the answer and relised it was simple common sense!
:mad:
experience and experimenting, takes time, no quick fix option im afraid
hey - don't take that personally, that has happened to me many a time! :p: - its probably just stress of the exam and all, thats it! - but if you want to improve your common sense, there is actually no specific way of tackling that, i mean - is it only when you saw an exam paper that you blanked?
Learn from your mistakes
Reply 8
Me more critical of your chosen line of thought. Acquire more disciplined analytical skills.
Profesh

why do you make a habit of coming in here and posting things with long words or complex words that really go no where near helping/answering the question. in suggesting thats what he meant you clearly have an idea of what he's talking about why didn't you offer advice its more helpful in a way.
Reply 10
mr_person
Me more critical of your chosen line of thought. Acquire more disciplined analytical skills.

How!?
Answer with a retorical question.

For example.

Q: What is 6 x 6?
You: Maybe 6 doesn't WANT to be multiplied by 6 you ever think of that? eh eh?
What do you call a black man flying a plane?
the pilot you ****ing racist.
Reply 13
Anonymous
Broad-minded? Is there any possible way improve your 'common sense'?
I always seem to answer basic questions wrong that require simple common sense... what do i lack?

sorry if its in the wrong thread (it could be bad for my health)

My physics teacher always used to say to us "Think of the bleeding obvious" when finding the answers to questions. Since then I always have. You need to stop thinking that there's a catch or a hidden meaning there somewhere and look at whats actually in front of you.

:smile:
Reply 14
A lot of times, what you think in your head is rubbish and not complicated or scientific enough to answer the question- is actually the right answer! Trust your instincts.
Reply 15
There is a cure.

Critical Thinking, a book by Cambridge. It teaches how to think more laterally. I bought the book, read some of it, and it all seems like common sense. It also helps with your English as well but don't expect much from it. Had to pay £20!
Reply 16
Browse Wikipedia for a bit.
Reply 17
deekinee
There is a cure.

Critical Thinking, a book by Cambridge. It teaches how to think more laterally. I bought the book, read some of it, and it all seems like common sense. It also helps with your English as well but don't expect much from it. Had to pay £20!

Where can i buy the book, got a link?
Reply 18
Zoecb
Browse Wikipedia for a bit.

and search for what?
HenvY
What do you call a black man flying a plane?
the pilot you ****ing racist.

winner.

Latest

Trending

Trending