The Student Room Group

Philosophy of Social Science (LSE) & Mind, Language & Embodied Cognition (Edinburgh

Hello, I am a Sociology Undergraduate at the University of Bath, currently undertaking a year in industry as a Research Assistant within Oxford University's Department of Education.

I am involved in the EMI & Design Matters research teams, which focus on English as as medium of instruction (and all the lovely things that come with the philosophy of language) and another team focused on the use of 'space' concerning the Architecture of Schools (think de certeau)

Essentially I just want to know whether my Degree, although having relevance for the LSE course, may not have prepared me to undertake more linguistic philosophy based courses (like the one in Edinburgh).

Assuming I graduate with 2:1, and my experience at Oxford, who would deem my chances of being accepted onto a postgraduate Philosophy course being relatively high?

(I also plan to spend a year or two teaching english as a foreign language before application, and in an attempt to not only satisfy my wander-lust but also for some, somewhat elementary linguistic experience)

Please let me know :smile: + if anybody has any experience of, or is aware of any post graduate philosophy courses that provide the opportunity to focus on Linguistic &(or) Social Philosophy then please do not hesitate to inform me.

Thanks,

Ed

(ps - my GCSEs and A level grades are not that competitive, especially considering most Oxbridge or other level university students have straight As... are these pre undergrad qualifications taken into consideration, and if so how much?)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending