The Student Room Group

Raynaud's - DSA

Am I eligible to apply for DSA with Raynaud's Syndrome?
No. How would it affect your ability to study? Just where thick gloves and socks.

This is coming from someone with it.
Reply 2
Original post by ONeill97
Am I eligible to apply for DSA with Raynaud's Syndrome?

If you think it will affect your ability to study, then yes, you may be eligible for DSA and "reasonable adjustments" from the uni such as giving you more time for handwriting in exams or allowing you to use a word processor for exams if this is easier than writing.

To the previous poster: Raynaud's has differing levels of severity and can affect different people in different ways. It's great that you're coping with it, but it doesn't mean that living with it is that simple for everyone.
You're eligible for DSA if you have a long term disability which affects your ability to study. DSA won't pay for everyday disability costs or costs other students have.

Not knowing anything about Raynauds, I can't comment on whether you're entitled to it. Put a claim in anyway and see what they say.
Reply 4
Original post by SmallTownGirl

As we have no idea of the severity of the OP's condition, we have no way of making that judgement. If they are right-handed and their right hand is particularly badly affected, they will have trouble handwriting and therefore taking lecture notes and sitting exams. it would be reasonable for DSA to provide the appropriate assistive technology and for the uni to make reasonable adjustments.

I had DSA. I have epilepsy, brain damage, joint hypermobility and am partially-sighted. My DSA was awarded because I have a permanently dislocated right thumb, which makes it impossible for me to handwrite for more than about twenty minutes. At first glance my DSA was awarded for a trivial problem. However, it was the only one which materially affected my uni study and it was absolutely justified.

Your disgust is immaterial and misplaced. You have no way of making a logical judgement on the OP's situation as you do not have all of the relevent information - and you are not entitled to it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending