The Student Room Group

Operations: why

Hi all,

I am not an expert and all my questions may sound silly, but I have learned that the sillier the question, the more answers it gets, so I am hoping for many answers.

I am starting to speak with people working for investment banks, and some of them are in Operations. Now, I would be too embarassed to ask them, but, to be blunt: what is the point of working in that department? *From what I can read online here and there* it looks like a glorified administration department. And I wouldn't want to work my butt off only to end up in an admin position, no matter how prestigious the firm.

Did I miss something? Are there exciting aspects of the job or maybe career prospects (maybe it's just a springboard people use to get to move internally or externally?) that I haven't noticed?

Final disclaimer: I don't mean to troll, I really have no clue and could use some feedback.
Reply 1
Original post by Harvey008
Hi all,

I am not an expert and all my questions may sound silly, but I have learned that the sillier the question, the more answers it gets, so I am hoping for many answers.

I am starting to speak with people working for investment banks, and some of them are in Operations. Now, I would be too embarassed to ask them, but, to be blunt: what is the point of working in that department? *From what I can read online here and there* it looks like a glorified administration department. And I wouldn't want to work my butt off only to end up in an admin position, no matter how prestigious the firm.

Did I miss something? Are there exciting aspects of the job or maybe career prospects (maybe it's just a springboard people use to get to move internally or externally?) that I haven't noticed?

Final disclaimer: I don't mean to troll, I really have no clue and could use some feedback.

I'm by no means an expert, but I think you're rather mistaken. "Operations" is a hugely vague term and you'll find a wide variety of roles falling in to that bracket. So for a start, it's very difficult to treat it as one thing.

Secondly, no bank would work without the Ops people, so don't write it off as admin.

Thirdly, all the same challenges apply past a certain grade regardless of where you are really. Once you get senior, you manage people.
They get generously compensated for their work.

Ops is the backbone to a IB
Reply 3
Someone has to....
Reply 4
Original post by M1011
I'm by no means an expert, but I think you're rather mistaken. "Operations" is a hugely vague term and you'll find a wide variety of roles falling in to that bracket. So for a start, it's very difficult to treat it as one thing.

Secondly, no bank would work without the Ops people, so don't write it off as admin.

Thirdly, all the same challenges apply past a certain grade regardless of where you are really. Once you get senior, you manage people.

With regard to the second point, I never said it's an useless dept. Just, if you do get a degree in say, Finance, or Business, or related, why would you want to play a role where you have to use little to no creative thought or business acumen, etcetera. Isn't it going to be a waste of skills?

Original post by Abdul-Karim
They get generously compensated for their work.

Ops is the backbone to a IB

I get it's an important role, and generously compensated, but why would you work your butt off studying Finance if then you're going to be a backbone who makes sure payments are settled etcetera.

Original post by KLL
Someone has to....

Yep, I know somebody has to, but this doesn't answer the why one would choose it. :biggrin:

Again, don't get me wrong you all, I just want to understand, because I wouldn't ever do it, but if there's so many people doing so, they're either just using it as a springboard, or I am missing something.
(edited 9 years ago)

I get it's an important role, and generously compensated, but why would you work your butt off studying Finance if then you're going to be a backbone who makes sure payments are settled etcetera.

Maybe the person in question didn't make it to Front Office, or they just enjoy the position and they're suited for the role. Not everyone wants to work 16 hours a day in Front Office IBD.
Reply 6
Not too sure what you think is special about a Finance/Business degree - doing one isn't going to make it more likely you end up in FO. Banks/firms are generally much more interested in traditional (quantitative) degrees.
Maybe the person in question didn't make it to Front Office, or they just enjoy the position and they're suited for the role. Not everyone wants to work 16 hours a day in Front Office IBD.

Also some markets facing ops roles can lead to front office positions. Eg can help non targets get into s&t.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Oschene23
Also some markets facing ops roles can lead to front office positions. Eg can help non targets get into s&t.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we should remember that the thousands of people working in operations in every big IB aren't all there for the hope of breaking in to something else though.

OP, you might as well say why does anyone want to work as an accountant? Why does anyone want to be an engineer? Why does anyone else want to do anything that isn't IB, which you seemed to have raised on a pedestal as a point of comparison.
Reply 9

This is a valid point, I didn't think there was much of a difference.

Original post by Noble.
Not too sure what you think is special about a Finance/Business degree - doing one isn't going to make it more likely you end up in FO. Banks/firms are generally much more interested in traditional (quantitative) degrees.

Never said it's special, just that it is quite unrelated to the job.
Reply 10
This is a valid point, I didn't think there was much of a difference.

Never said it's special, just that it is quite unrelated to the job.

Isn't every degree pretty unrelated from Operations?
Kids that glorify front office when they get there reality hits them all too fast.
Reply 12
Original post by Noble.
Isn't every degree pretty unrelated from Operations?

Well, if I knew what one exactly does in Operations I could agree :biggrin:

Original post by Econight
Kids that glorify front office when they get there reality hits them all too fast.

I am far from glorifying front office, I would never ever want to work that much in my life, money and prestige are all but fundamental for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending