The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Because you don't have a prescription for barbiturates? Because you don't know what the lethal dose of pills is? Because you really, really want to die and think that this is a way of doing it?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Pills are much less likely to "do their job" than the train. The train method is pretty reliable, given how fast trains are. Pills could result in you surviving and just having your stomach pumped, not to mention the horrible stuff you have to go through before you die (vomiting etc). Plus, you'd have to buy the pills two packs at a time or something, and what a hassle that is. And if you survived they'd start watching you really closely to make sure you didn't do it again.
Reply 22
Well if you're going to end your life, you might as well end it in style.
Reply 23
insulin
Why couldnt the person just jump off a bridge, gravity is fairly reliable,

Just imagine what it would be like to be the driver of that train, it simply isnt fair to ruin other peoples lives like that.
Heartbreaker

Just imagine what it would be like to be the driver of that train, it simply isnt fair to ruin other peoples lives like that.

Agreed. Everyone was shuck up. There were some children there I believe.
Reply 26
Heartbreaker

you do realise jumping off a bridge can maybe not kill you. jumping in the way of a moving train is fairly certain to kill you, and quick.

I am shocked by the "OMG its selfish" responses, clearly none of you have ever got to the point where you have contemplated suicide or understand the psyche of a person who wants to kill themself.
6+6=6
you do realise jumping off a bridge can maybe not kill you. jumping in the way of a moving train is fairly certain to kill you, and quick.

I am shocked by the "OMG its selfish" responses, clearly none of you have ever got to the point where you have contemplated suicide or understand the psyche of a person who wants to kill themself.

Yeah :frown: People in suicidal situations truly believe they are alone and that no one cares. So perhaps I was too harsh. Perhaps it is more appropriate to say that they are ignorant/unaware of the effect their suicide will have on others. Selfishness implies an awereness that is simply not there in the bulk of true suicide attempts.
So sad to hear:frown::frown::frown:
Reply 29
you think people who are suicidal lose their sense of melodrama?

pretty ****ing vainglorious way to go if you ask me
TKR
you think people who are suicidal lose their sense of melodrama?

pretty ****ing vainglorious way to go if you ask me

Have you ever felt truly suicidal? Where you seriously contemplate it in your mind.
When I said it was a particularly selfish way to go, I was referring to the number of people (especially the train driver) who will be terribly affected by the things they saw, not really the people who were delayed for a couple of hours. I have a friend that saw a man jump under a tube train as a child, and who is still affected by what he saw to this day in that he can't go on a platform unless he has his back directly to the wall until the train doors are open, and still has nightmares and flashbacks.
One reason that people do it is because it is a particularly active and destructive way of doing it, something that it is unusual for a woman to choose to do (when jumping, women usually just let themselves fall, whereas men will usually run and jump).
Reply 32
Princess_Peach
Pills are always an option. Why the train method?

Not dying is an option.
Reply 33
Thanks for the insight.
I don't see what the point is in passing judgement on this, especially as no-body knows the individuals situation, and what drove her to that conclusion.

Rather than passing judgement, maybe focus on the OP?

I'm so sorry that you had to see that, it's a truely horrific thing. I've (thankfully) never seen anything like that before, but I have had friends who have killed themselves that way.

Take care. x
*hugs Simulatio*

Thanks for the comfort :smile:

We were discussing suicide as a whole and its impact on the individual commmiting the act and the wider society.
T'is ok. I just get really defensive over suicide-related subjects. It's when people start saying how stupid somebody is because the commited suicide that bothers me.

How are you doing? Were there many other people with you at the time? x
Yes. Sadly lots of people.

But I'm doing fine. I've been throwing myself into a law essay that is due in soon. Thank you for asking :smile:
Reply 38
sorry to hear that peach, just try and forget about it hun
It was awful that you had to see it, and none of us can truly realise the side-effects that something like that would have on us.

If you do have a law essay due and you think the situation isn't too comfortable atm, go speak a tutor and try and get an extension or a concession.

Hopefully you have some awesome friends/family to comfort you and help you; it's going to be hard to get it out of your head but hopefully you will be able to be able to distract your mind by other things to help you get over it :smile:

Regards

Ian x (big hug :smile: )

PS. Hope you have preordered a wii :tongue:

Latest