The Student Room Group

I'm on 600 calories a day and didnt lose any weight last week!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foxydeedee
I have a condition called Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction and eating is painful and sets a flare up which is like being in labour. For past 2 years I've lived on a bowl of ready brek and 4 yoghurts around 500 calories plus tea with milk and one sugar. I've gone from 9st 10lbs to 7st 7lbs and feel very weak with no energy to do anything. I have a cyst on my pancreas as well which is being checked for growth or changes next week. Am I in danger having lost this much weight and not being able to eat?

No-one here is qualified to answer your question, if you're worried about your weight and losing more, you need to ask your doctor for advice and quiet possibly a referral to a dietician :smile:
A normal walkers bag of crisps contains around 160 calories whilst a Maryland cookie contains around 56. So for arguments sake let's say you had four cookies which is 224 then plus the 160 calories for the crisps which comes to 384 all together. Which would leave 216 calories for your dinner, I don't know what you're eatin for dinner but it's very unlikely to come under 216 calories.
Stick to the 600 calorie diet if you want but choose healthier options so you'd be able to get protein and vitiamins etc from your diet. (Personally wouldn't recommend sticking to it unless advised by a doctor)
Also excerise! Whether it be getting up 20 minutes ealier to go for a quick jog or whatever excerise you'd prefer.
Sounds like you have incredible genes if any of that is true.
I'm assuming you're female and not particularly tall, because otherwise your weight is perfectly normal and you shouldn't be trying to lose weight.

That said, if you are female and about 5'8 or under, you underestimate the amount of calories that you're eating by quite a bit. Honestly from what you've said I'd say you're eating around 1000 calories per day right now, I mean a chicken and vegetable dinner alone could possibly be over 600 calories, and most biscuits are about 90 calories so that's almost 300/400 just in biscuits. I think that the fact that you underestimate the amount of calories by so much is probably the reason that you're a bit overweight in the first place.
If you really want to lose weight, I'd stick with 1000 calories per day or a bit more because if you go down to 600 it's going to make your friends and family suspicious and you don't want them to think you're developing an eating disorder because trust me, as soon as your family think that you'll be losing no weight.
And it should really be 1000 calories in fruit, not biscuits. How do you expect to lose weight eating biscuits and chicken? If anything, going vegan and eating the amount of calories you normally would will definitely make you lose more weight than eating 600 calories of mostly biscuits and chicken.
But going vegan is expensive I know.
So basically, without all the rambling, my advice is eat the amount of calories you're eating right now except in healthy foods.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Most days of the week I only eat a bag of crisps and a small chocolate bar for lunch, and then have a basic dinner like chicken with veg. I also eat maybe 3-4 biscuits a day (this contributes at least 200 calories to the 600).

I weigh 12st 7lbs and didn't lose a single lb last week despite my diet and going for a 30 minute every day.

Have I missed the point of dieting?

Why did I not lose anything?

If you're dumb enough to be on a diet like that, you're dumb enough to miscalculate your calories. So really, there's nothing I can say to you..
Original post by Ace of Hearts
Okay so I've done a lot of research on this, one of the most important things is DO NOT starve yourself. That won't lead to sustainable wait loss. Also, excercize is really only a small portion of it. The main things is cutting out fats and more importantly, sugars. That means getting rid of all that hyper processed junk and switching to a more natural diet. When possible, maximize all natural ingredients. For ideas, I highly recommend checking out the books Everyday Detox and No Excuses Detox. While some of the stuff is quite frankly gross, it can give you some ideas about switching to a mostly or all natural diet. Hope this helped!

STOP bumping old threads. Stop spamming the same answer

You advice is poor, except for the dont starve yourself.

The main thing for weight loss is a calorific deficit. A balanced diet help for health and satiety reasons, but as long as theres a deficit you will lose.

No such thing as a detox. You dont need them.
Similar with all natural / clean eating which can in fact be dangerous.
Original post by DorianGrayism
The Crisp is 200 calories alone. Once you add the dinner and Chocolates, it can easily bring it up over 600.

Also, it has only been one week. There is the issue of water retention and etc. If you are drinking vast amounts of water, the weight loss may not be that drastic.

Having said that, you should be losing weight on 1200 calories.

acctualy most crisps are under 100 calories providing its an avergae sized bag. I know that all the bags in my kitchen are between 70-90 cals and a single person choco bar is about 60 cals. so thats like 150 cals the biscuits she said were 200 cals so thats 350 and chicken and veg would easily be withing 250 cals.
you'll lose your hair, and you will most likely get bold patches if you continue sustaining yourself with only 600 calories js
Most days of the week I only eat a bag of crisps and a small chocolate bar for lunch, and then have a basic dinner like chicken with veg. I also eat maybe 3-4 biscuits a day (this contributes at least 200 calories to the 600).

I weigh 12st 7lbs and didn't lose a single lb last week despite my diet and going for a 30 minute every day.

You certainly missed the point of dieting. Firstly eating crisps and sugar every day will stop fat loss and make you hold onto fat. This is true ESPECIALLY with a severe caloric deficit which you are creating now. There should be 1200 calories min. As if you did not know that. :facepalm:If you are going to eat crisps and other junk every day ... don't expect weight loss.
Original post by 999tigger
STOP bumping old threads. Stop spamming the same answer

You advice is poor, except for the dont starve yourself.

The main thing for weight loss is a calorific deficit. A balanced diet help for health and satiety reasons, but as long as theres a deficit you will lose.

No such thing as a detox. You dont need them.
Similar with all natural / clean eating which can in fact be dangerous.

Um tiger, a calorie is not simply a calorie and they do not all act the same. People usually want to lose fat so clean eating is pretty much essential. I really think eating crisps every day FOR LUNCH is more dangerous.
That's why I am worried. I should be losing weight. I have lost 1st 3lbs since January 1st.

However, I should have lost over 2st by now.

I cannot spend the whole year on a diet. I am craving a Big Mac.

That is because you are eating junk. Again, a calorie is not a calorie.
Before doing any kind of dieting you should check with your doctor. Then check calories and protein in foods. Make a weekly meal plan and follow it. Document all calories as you eat them. Do not have soda and candy daily. Choice healthy snacks. Fruit and raw veggies have fewer calories so you can eat more
I am grateful, I just don't think you read my OP properly.

I have a small chocolate bar, no bigger than a 2 finger Kit Kat, and a bag of Quavers, which are like only 2.7g of fat (70 calories).

My lunch does not include bread or dairy. Therefore I eat only 200 calories/8g fat for lunchtimes.

My dinner consists of whatever my mum cooks me, which is sometimes spaghetti Bolognese, sometimes scrambled egg on toast, sometimes chicken and veg etc...

I don't buy chocolate or snacks. I don't drink alcohol. I don't even eat yogurts anymore. I don't even eat breakfast.

I know I drink too much Pepsi, but I am addicted. It's a consequence of depression.

However, apart from the Pepsi, I think you are wrong to imply that my diet is full of fat!

1- If you want to loose weight you need to eat breakfast
2- You need to up you calories (1200 ish)
3- You are eating the wrong foods, you are far better eating 1200 calories worth of nutritional food than 600 calories of s**t
4- try substituting carbs for alternatives. EG- instead of spaghetti you could have spiralled butternut squash or similar.

You can eat up to 2000 calories a day and lose weight, the key is not how many calories you're eating but what you're eating. Start in the morning with eggs, brown toast and maybe some fruit, for lunch I normally try to have some chicken or fish with greens, and for dinner just try to have a balanced meal.

Eating 600 calories a day is really counter productive, and your body will only loose muscle mass, also it can start really bad eating habits. If you're exercising 30 minutes a day it is important that you are eating the right things to keep you going, if you don't your body won't function properly and you're more likely to get the odd cold or something. Don't exercise with high intensity everyday, otherwise you will burnout and give up.

But lastly don't expect to loose a stone in a week, think of a larger scale, almost forget about how much you weigh but notice subtle differences from week to week, until one day you will have reached your goal.
Reply 114
600 calories a day is fine for fasting days but not every day as this will quickly become detrimental.

And carbs are used in such a way that they put on weight better than fat.
600 calories a day will kill you not make you lose weight
Lots of people have given advice here already but I just wanted to say that any weight you lose in this way (severely restricting your food) will all pile back on as soon as you start eating a healthy amount again, and you may well end up heavier than you started. Quick diets don't work. They're simply not sustainable!

If you want to lose weight, make small changes (reducing added sugar, choose low fat options, walk instead of taking the bus when it's reasonable) and over time these things will add up. It will take longer but you will feel better and be more likely to keep the weight off.

Exercise wise, get active 3 or 4 times a week. Don't over do it or force yourself if it's genuinely not enjoyable for you. Find things you enjoy that get your blood pumping and mix it up. Don't do the same workout over and over. Maybe go for a run one morning, do a pilates class a couple of days later and then go to the gym and work with some weights at weekend (or get some dumbbells and work out at home).

Food wise, don't go below 1200 calories as an absolute minimum. If you're active then 1500 is probably closer to where you want to be at.

A sample day of food could be:

Breakfast: bowl of porridge (40g oats, 150ml milk of your choice) with mixed berries, chopped walnuts and a tsp honey.

Lunch: Small chicken flatbread (lower calorie than 2 slices of bread) with low fat mayo, a packet of savoury snacks, a piece of fruit

Throughout the afternoon: crispbread/crackers (like Ryvita) and sticks of celery and carrot with hummus, 1/4 of a melon

Dinner: Something along the lines of roasted Mediterranean vegetables with a portion of lime and coriander cous cous and paprika spiced chicken breast strips. Or chili con carne made with lean mince and an emphasis on the chili mix rather than the rice. Two things about dinner- firstly is portion size (learn how much pasta, rice or cous cous you actually need as people often make too much and end up overeating) and secondly, bulk out your meals with loads of vegetables and low GI carbs. Carbs are not the enemy! We need them!

Dessert: a yoghurt (whatever takes your fancy like low fat greek or no added sugar) and a few squares of chocolate
It takes longer than a week to lose weight, also 600 calories is still kinda low tbh
Your diet will never work bc you're not helping out your metabolism at all. Plus after starvinv yourself you'll start eating a lot bc you've repressed yourself both physically and mentally. If you want to loose weight start cardio and increase fiber and protein intake, dont eat energy bars etc eat food high in protein. Please see a nutritionist or ask someone at your gym for professional advice. We all need to realize that diets dont work in the long run we need to change our lifestyle in order to become healthier
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by In One Ear
No this is not true. The human body cannot magically break energy laws. If this were true, it wouldn't actually be possible to starve to death, right? :wink:

OP might be having issues with increased water retention maintaining scale weight and thus masking actual fat loss (both visually and on the scale).

look up ketosis :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest