The Student Room Group

Can I get into decent medical school if I... ?

My GCSEs are not all that good:

Core science- AAB
triple science (that's b2 & b3, c2 & c3, p2 & p3) - BBC
GCSE Mathematics- B
Further Mathematics - B
English Lang - C
English Lit - C
Spanish - C
R.E. - C
Psychology- D
Geography- D
History- E

I'm planning to do study by myself using text books etc and retake those I've failed (that is psychology, geography, history, english language, english lit and basically additional and triple science... yeah I know it's a lot but I'm determined). I just want to boost those grades to As which I know I am capable of. I'll be taking these exams in a private center. Soon I will be doing A level Maths, Biology, Chem & Physics in a sixth form I've applied to (i'll be turning 17 soon)

Now... I'm unsure if Medicine schools do accept applicants who've retaken a lot of their GCSEs... and If I get say AAAa or AABa(with maths as AS) will that overshadow that fact that I've retaken a lot of my GCSEs?
What do you guys think?
Reply 1
probs
Reply 2
Check out Aberdeen! They have quite low GCSE requirement and focus more on A level and UKCAT! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Alot of universities have a minimum requirement for gcses usually like 8 minimum of A's and A's in particular subjects. Look through each university and see their individual requirements, you may have to take a year and apply with achieved A levels to have a chance. Best thing to do now is focus on your AS and make sure you get all A's for a good chance, good luck.
Original post by WannabeDoctor01
My GCSEs are not all that good:

Core science- AAB
triple science (that's b2 & b3, c2 & c3, p2 & p3) - BBC
GCSE Mathematics- B
Further Mathematics - B
English Lang - C
English Lit - C
Spanish - C
R.E. - C
Psychology- D
Geography- D
History- E

I'm planning to do study by myself using text books etc and retake those I've failed (that is psychology, geography, history, english language, english lit and basically additional and triple science... yeah I know it's a lot but I'm determined). I just want to boost those grades to As which I know I am capable of. I'll be taking these exams in a private center. Soon I will be doing A level Maths, Biology, Chem & Physics in a sixth form I've applied to (i'll be turning 17 soon)

Now... I'm unsure if Medicine schools do accept applicants who've retaken a lot of their GCSEs... and If I get say AAAa or AABa(with maths as AS) will that overshadow that fact that I've retaken a lot of my GCSEs?
What do you guys think?

GCSE retake policies vary, so you need to check with individual medical schools. If you can find medical schools who are ok with it, then retaking would be a very good idea for you to make your academics more competitive.

As for A-levels 'overshadowing' GCSEs, it depends again on the individual med school and how they process your application; some will not even look at your A-levels if you do not meet their min GCSE requirements (Notts comes to mind, they do this part by computer), while others will weigh them up more holistically. Strategic application is key.

Bear in mind that the minimum requirement for A-level is AAA (a couple accept A*AB), so AAB would not even meet the minimum grades for A-level; for the kind of grades that might mitigate poor GCSEs you would be wanting at least A*AA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending