The Student Room Group

Which university is better for law?

I'm an international student from Canada and I recently got conditionally acceptance into 4 universities:

University of Manchester
Queen's University Belfast
University of Brunel
Royal Holloway

Which one would you recommend?
(edited 9 years ago)
Manchester then Royal Holloway
Reply 2
Manchester definitely

And it's Russell Group
Reply 3
Original post by AdamCee
Manchester definitely

And it's Russell Group

What does Russell Group mean? And how does that make it any better than any other school?
Reply 4
Original post by itskimberly
What does Russell Group mean? And how does that make it any better than any other school?

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/
Have a read of this

It's the equivalent of the Ivy League in the US, I think? May be wrong there though.

Basically a list of some of the best uni's in the country (however not ALL the best uni's are in it, but most are)
I'm an international student from Canada and I recently got conditionally acceptance into 4 universities:

University of Manchester
Queen's University Belfast
University of Brunel
Royal Holloway

Which one would you recommend?

I would definitely go for Manchester as my first place. It would be the most reputable out of the four choices you have there. If you are planning to go back to Canada after you finish your degree, I would suggest going for an English law degree. This would mean putting Queen's University Belfast out of the way, since it is located in Northern Ireland (might have issues with accreditation). If you do not mind getting a law degree from Northern Ireland, then I would suggest choosing that as your insurance choice instead of Royal Holloway.

With that being said, I would put Royal Holloway as your insurance and University of Brunel as your third place. However, note that Royal Holloway has just started its law program, so it would not be as established as other schools.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AdamCee

It's the equivalent of the Ivy League in the US, I think? May be wrong there though.

yes, you are quite wrong. The Ivy League is a historic sporting conference of private universities that were at the time seen as socially exclusive. Another criterion for membership was that the institution be in the Northeastern United States.

It is because of these considerations that the Ivy League includes e.g. Dartmouth but not Stanford, which wouldn't be true if membership were determined on the considerations governing entry into the Russell Group.
Don't just focus on what university is better for Law, focus on what university is better for YOU.
I went to a good university for Law, but it just wasn't right for me and put me off doing Law all together. I'd say you'll be better off finding somewhere that's right for you, that you will be comfortable with. Don't worry about the league tables and reputation so much, obviously still include it as a factor, but what's more important is whether you'll like it and you'll enjoy your time there.
Original post by NYU2012
These are too many universities in the Russell Group compared to the Ivy league. The Ivy league (while technically a sporting group) represents some of the best universities amongst the over 2,000 universities in the US. Whereas the Russell Group includes universities outside the top 20, out of the only only less than 300 universities in the UK.

I agree with you as well. It is not possible to compare the Russell Group with the Ivy League. However, there are a notable few that I believe could be comparable to the Ivy League universities, with the likes of Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, KCL, and LSE. I would say that the other Russell Group unis aren't exactly at the same level as the Ivy Leagues, but they are still excellent unis compared to the other unis in the UK.
Reply 9
Original post by zero_Gravity91
I would definitely go for Manchester as my first place. It would be the most reputable out of the four choices you have there. If you are planning to go back to Canada after you finish your degree, I would suggest going for an English law degree. This would mean putting Queen's University Belfast out of the way, since it is located in Northern Ireland (might have issues with accreditation). If you do not mind getting a law degree from Northern Ireland, then I would suggest choosing that as your insurance choice instead of Royal Holloway.

With that being said, I would put Royal Holloway as your insurance and University of Brunel as your third place. However, note that Royal Holloway has just started its law program, so it would not be as established as other schools.

QUB is Russell Group and is fully accredited for English law.
http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/StudyatQueens/CourseFinder/UG/Law/M100/

Edit to add: also has a Top 10 ranking for Law in UK
http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofLaw/StudyattheSchool/WhyLawatQueens/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
QUB is Russell Group and is fully accredited for English law.
http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/StudyatQueens/CourseFinder/UG/Law/M100/

Edit to add: also has a Top 10 ranking for Law in UK
http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofLaw/StudyattheSchool/WhyLawatQueens/

Posted from TSR Mobile

x

Sorry, my mistake. In that case OP, I would probably choose Queen's University Belfast over Royal Holloway.
Original post by NYU2012
These are too many universities in the Russell Group compared to the Ivy league. The Ivy league (while technically a sporting group) represents some of the best universities amongst the over 2,000 universities in the US. Whereas the Russell Group includes universities outside the top 20, out of the only only less than 300 universities in the UK.

There are over 2,000 uni's in the US? Blimey didn't know that

Okay Ivy League is a little more prestigious then, but similar concept right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending