The Student Room Group

What to do with this offer?

Hello everyone,

one question : I received an offer from a uni but it's not my favorite one, but still I don't want to loose it. If I accept this offer, will I have to keep this uni or if I have another offer, can I switch and cancel the first one?

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

You don't need to accept any offers until you have heard back from all of your universities

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by irisparis
Hello everyone,

one question : I received an offer from a uni but it's not my favorite one, but still I don't want to loose it. If I accept this offer, will I have to keep this uni or if I have another offer, can I switch and cancel the first one?

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

You can't accept an offer until you've received decisions from all your choices. Wait for your other choices to respond, then firm the one you want to go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Oh I understand but just to be clear, I'm a graduate student applying to master's degrees ! So I didn't apply through UCAS because I know that's how it works when you go there
Reply 4
You can accept any Masters offers that you get and then decide between them later. It's pretty usual for students to not be able to take up an offer they've accepted, as funding is hard to find.

When you make your decision, you just contact the unis you decided against, thank them for their consideration and explain that you won't be taking up their offer after all.
Reply 5
Thanks a lot Klix88 it helps me a lot ! So if I accept now they won't send me any contract to sign or something like that that will link me to them "forever"?
Reply 6
Thanks a lot Klix88 it helps me a lot ! So if I accept now they won't send me any contract to sign or something like that that will link me to them "forever"?

Usually, you only enter into a contract with the uni at the time you enrol, during Induction Week at the start of the academic year. If you aren't charged a non-returnable deposit or fee for any part of the process, then there will be no repercussions.
Reply 7
Ok so it's the time they'll send me fee papers that i'll have to tell me I don't want to enroll anymore?
Reply 8
Ok so it's the time they'll send me fee papers that i'll have to tell me I don't want to enroll anymore?

It would be much better if you let them know as soon as you know that you won't be attending (ie if you receive and an accept an offer from your preferred uni). This is because they will be holding a place for you so the earlier you decline it (once you are sure you won't take it up of course) the earlier they can then offer it to someone else who might be on a waitlist.
if I were you I would ask the uni that gave you an offer to extend the deadline for confirming the offer. just be honest and say you're waiting for decisions from other uni's.

additionally I would contact other uni's whose decisions are still pending and nicely ask when they could confirm, as another uni's waiting for your confirmation.

good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending