The Student Room Group

Will the Biomedical Science profession just die out ?

Over the last couple of years, the biomedical science degree is used as a stepping stone by students to get into medicine. I know of someone who completed a degree in biomed with over 95% on their course who had no interest in doing anything to do with biomed or research, I'm pretty much sure it's the same everywhere else.
Well it depends on the uni. At the better unis yes most people see it as a stepping stone to medicine, but at many of the less prestigious unis far fewer are looking to go down that route generally, and will end up going into the profession.

It is a profession in trouble though, they have an aging work population and not enough coming through the aforementioned courses.

Plus automation continues to dominate the profession to the point that scientific knowledge, judgement and lab skills are being pushed out more and more whilst being able to maintain a machine has become the mainstay of the job in most departments.
Given the surge in demand for healthcare we're about to see its going to be expanding if anything.
I don't think it will die out, I think Medicine does attract some bright people which could take away from talent going into biomed sci though.
I did biomed and only a few wanted to do medicine afterwards
Though even fewer are actually in employment at the minute...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending