The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Anyone from London firming Edinburgh?

I'm considering Edinburgh as my first choice because the course looks great and the city also. However, I live in London - train tickets are fairly expensive, and it's just so far! I'm worried that if I end up going I won't be able to visit home much and if something happened I'd be 4/5 hours away! Anyone in the same boat?

On a different note, what's the best accommodation for sociability/good facilities, nice rooms/bathrooms etc?
Original post by mechanism
I'm considering Edinburgh as my first choice because the course looks great and the city also. However, I live in London - train tickets are fairly expensive, and it's just so far! I'm worried that if I end up going I won't be able to visit home much and if something happened I'd be 4/5 hours away! Anyone in the same boat?

On a different note, what's the best accommodation for sociability/good facilities, nice rooms/bathrooms etc?

I imagine it's cheaper, if more environmentally damaging, to catch a flight, to be honest. With a young persons railcard, and booked well in advance, it wouldn't be that expensive anyway.

N.B. I travel from Cambridge to Edinburgh every now and again.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
London crew checking in :wink:

Flights are definitely cheaper than trains. I have a Student Railcard and even using that it was cheaper to get a flight. I used Rynair to fly from Stansted to Edinburgh for £19 for my interview, although that was only a month ago and so was off-season. I flew out in September (EasyJet, from Luton) in September to attend the open day and I think that was closer to £60. Only takes about 50 minutes :smile: The real issue comes from getting to and from the airports. Eddy have an Airlink bus (around £4 if I recall correctly), but for me to get from Baker's Street to Stansted was about £8 using EasyBus.

Coaches are similar in price but obviously take a lot longer. My National Express coach ticket from Eddy to London Victoria was £18 so you may as well take the plane, however I find the coach timetable to be quite convenient. There's one that leaves Eddy at 9:45pm to get into London at around 6:00am. Depends on how packed the coach is whether or not you get to sleep, though :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

Flights are definitely cheaper than trains. I have a Student Railcard and even using that it was cheaper to get a flight. I used Rynair to fly from Stansted to Edinburgh for £19 for my interview, although that was only a month ago and so was off-season. I flew out in September (EasyJet, from Luton) in September to attend the open day and I think that was closer to £60. Only takes about 50 minutes :smile: The real issue comes from getting to and from the airports. Eddy have an Airlink bus (around £4 if I recall correctly), but for me to get from Baker's Street to Stansted was about £8 using EasyBus.

Coaches are similar in price but obviously take a lot longer. My National Express coach ticket from Eddy to London Victoria was £18 so you may as well take the plane, however I find the coach timetable to be quite convenient. There's one that leaves Eddy at 9:45pm to get into London at around 6:00am. Depends on how packed the coach is whether or not you get to sleep, though :wink:

Ooh interesting. Are you planning to firm Edinburgh? What accommodation have you looked at? :smile:
Ooh interesting. Are you planning to firm Edinburgh? What accommodation have you looked at? :smile:

I am indeed. So far my favourite accomm is Warrender Park (Vet student so not that fussed about not being in the city centre as I'll need a bus pass to get to Easter Bush every day anyway). Generally looked like a really nice location next to the park, and one of the cheaper ones which I'm sure my bank account will appreciate.

How about yourself?
Reply 5
I am indeed. So far my favourite accomm is Warrender Park (Vet student so not that fussed about not being in the city centre as I'll need a bus pass to get to Easter Bush every day anyway). Generally looked like a really nice location next to the park, and one of the cheaper ones which I'm sure my bank account will appreciate.

How about yourself?

Sounds lovely! Have you visited the accommodation? I've heard some are amazing. And I'm looking at kincaid's court (slightly more expensive) but haven't actually looked that much.
Where else have you applied aside from Ed. and what made you choose it over your other choices? :wink:

I'm stuck between that and Bristol...
Sounds lovely! Have you visited the accommodation? I've heard some are amazing. And I'm looking at kincaid's court (slightly more expensive) but haven't actually looked that much.
Where else have you applied aside from Ed. and what made you choose it over your other choices? :wink:

I'm stuck between that and Bristol...

I haven't actually, and the pictures on the website are a bit naff which makes it a bit risky. I suppose it is only for one year, though! :tongue: There are current students on the Facebook groups that seem more than happy to give tips about accommodation, so that's definitely worth looking into :yep: .

I have offers from Bristol, Liverpool and the Royal Veterinary College (part of the University of London) as well. I'm picking Ed as their vet school has a very good reputation for teaching on exotic animals, which is what I'd like to go into. The facilities look amazing and they're updating some of them so it can only get better. I also really loved the city when I came to visit, and could see myself living in Ed more than I could in Liv and Bris (and I want to get out of London!). Either the RVC or Bristol will be my insurance, I prefer the RVC but Bristol gave me a (lower) contextual offer so they would appear to be the wiser choice. I appreciate that these are some very vet specific reasons so sorry about that :tongue:

How about you, what's your course and what's drawing you to Eddy? :smile:

Never flew myself but my home's in middle England right on the major Virgin train line that runs from Edinburgh to Birmingham, so I always just took the train. Going back a few years here but a return ticket booked way in advance with a railcard was about £10-20. Seems very cheap now.

NEVER took the coach. Absolutely unbearable. Trains are sometimes loud but at least they're cheap for how much faster they are. Then again there always seems to be some idiot who eats crunchy crisps with their mouths open in the 'Quiet Coach'. Or somebody in the seat you booked in advance who gets arsey when you tell them to get up. Or drinks and gets loud. Or plays loud music, which for some reason is allowed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey I'm from London too!! I have friends who are now 2nd years at Edinburgh and they come home all the time. There are always deals and such on.

I'm looking at Chancellor's Court. I heard it's very nice but could be a little roudy. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I'm really curious as to how you guys were planning on getting your stuff up. I don't want to have to drive all the way up with tons of boxes. One of my friends gave me a code for a company called Lovespace and I don't know if I should go with them or not. Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending