The Student Room Group

Problems with Biting Point on Petrol

Basically I learnt to drive in a 2014 1.4L Diesel Corsa and I could always move off, creep through traffic, and do my manoeuvres by just using the biting point. My instructor taught me to get the biting point and release the footbrake which would make me move forward, then use the accelerator and release the clutch to go faster.

I drove my friend's petrol today and all I did was stall it. I couldn't just use the biting point to move off then apply the accelerator.
If I'm uphill and only using the footbrake, how am I supposed to apply some gas before finding the biting point, without rolling back into a car behind me?
(edited 9 years ago)
As with the other 500,000 diesel to petrol threads on here, you'll find that petrol cars are less forgiving for stalling on the bite. Apply gas, THEN find the bite. You only use the clutch to move if in severe bumper to bumper traffic and/or tight parking. Constantly using the clutch to get moving THEN applying gas will eat through clutches like no tomorrow. And clutches aint cheap.

If the engine is 1.0 then the car might need gas to move and will stall if you're only using the clutch.

And for the last point...never heard of the handbrake?
Reply 2
Original post by ToastyCoke
And for the last point...never heard of the handbrake?

So if, for example, I'm on a slightly downhill entrance to a roundabout I have to use the handbrake each time I move forward?
Original post by Revel
So if, for example, I'm on a slightly downhill entrance to a roundabout I have to use the handbrake each time I move forward?

If you're facing DOWNhill how can you roll backwards into the car, as stated in your first post:

Original post by Revel
without rolling back into a car behind me?

If you're on an UPhill incline, then until you get good with your clutch, yes, you should use the handbrake.
Reply 4
Original post by ToastyCoke
If you're on an UPhill incline, then until you get good with your clutch, yes, you should use the handbrake.

I meant uphill, sorry. So it is possible to use the biting point to move off in a 1.2L+ petrol, but I should only use it when on an uphill surface?
Original post by Revel
I meant uphill, sorry. So it is possible to use the biting point to move off in a 1.2L+ petrol, but I should only use it when on an uphill surface?

If you're going downhill, you can free wheel it for a bit then get going. Or you could even start in second gear.

If you're level, you can use the clutch to 'creep' - but for normal starts, you should apply gas first.

If you're going uphill - you can HOLD the car still with the clutch, but to get moving, you need to apply gas as moving with just the clutch will cause early wear.
When the engine is idling it produces very little power - not enough to move off, pick up speed smoothly and safely without the risk of stalling. The amount of power / gas needed depends on how quickly you wish to accelerate and that depends on the conditions and the situation. If you are creeping along in very slow traffic (slower than walking speed) you may get away with using the clutch without the gas provided you are delicate enough with the clutch pedal; this is not the way I teach however and would always suggest gas before clutch.

If you are pulling away uphill use a little more gas; about 2000 rpm, then lift the clutch until you feel the car pull slightly. You should also see the nose of the car raise slightly at this point. Keep your clutch at the bite and revs up while you release the handbrake. If your feet are set correctly you should start moving forward.

If you use this method you will find less of a problem when driving different vehicles.
Original post by Revel
Basically I learnt to drive in a 2014 1.4L Diesel Corsa and I could always move off, creep through traffic, and do my manoeuvres by just using the biting point. My instructor taught me to get the biting point and release the footbrake which would make me move forward, then use the accelerator and release the clutch to go faster.

I drove my friend's petrol today and all I did was stall it. I couldn't just use the biting point to move off then apply the accelerator.
If I'm uphill and only using the footbrake, how am I supposed to apply some gas before finding the biting point, without rolling back into a car behind me?

Your instructor has got you into a VERY bad habit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending