The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Student protest

Firstly allow me to apologize for interrupting you as you continue your never ending tirade of questions as to whether LSE is famous, whether LSE is great, whether LSE lecturers are any good, whether LSE lecturers spend enough time teaching given that tuition fees are high and so on and so on.

LSE threatens student protesters with legal action to end occupation.

The London School of Economics has threatened its students with legal action after they refused to end a sit-in demonstration.
Protesters have camped out in one of the university’s main meeting rooms for nearly two weeks, with a range of demands about privatisation, tuition fees and diversity.
Now, in a long letter to students, the LSE’s deputy director, Stuart Corbridge, has warned: “Your unauthorised occupation cannot continue.
“In the event that the occupation does not immediately end, LSE will have no alternative but to escalate this to legal proceedings.”

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/mar/29/lse-threatens-student-protesters-legal-action-occupation-university
Reply 1
While I am not there, so obviously can't comment on all the details, from what I have read, they have been more than patient with you guys. I would have just got security to throw you out straight away.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
My dad wants to ask - if you felt like that why the heck did you apply to go there in the first place?
Reply 3
Tuition fees expensive? I thought their feels were quite manageable compared to other London unis, take the management course (17040) for example for International students, it's like £3600 cheaper per annum that UCLs management science course (20700). Although it is true that the LSE campus is quite turd compared to UCL, I think LSE is reasonably good value for money.
Original post by Chr0n
While I am not there, so obviously can't comment on all the details, from what I have read, they have been more than patient with you guys. I would have just got security to throw you out straight away.

Original post by JamjamjamT
My dad wants to ask - if you felt like that why the heck did you apply to go there in the first place?

I am not from LSE and would never consider applying to that institution. Go have a look on their youtube page and watch the uploaded videos of lecture sessions. You have all these 'prominent' MPs and lecturers giving lectures where frankly, its content do not have any substance. Their speech delivery is nothing fancy, I've heard mothers on the playground speak better. Also, I have seen better lecturers who are not British themselves but breathe and live British politics and history and can deliver lectures with substance without looking at scripts or books or power-point slides.

If you ask me, people merely apply to LSE for the so called 'brand name' and 'reputation'. If you think you are going to be recipients of wonderful, thought provoking lectures then please continue dreaming. LSE can conduct as many crowdsurfing initiatives, lectures with 'prominent' guests speaking and all that jazz. But all these will never change what's happening in the real world.

Blair is still giving guest speeches all over the world for a hefty fee and all this while British soldiers and hundreds and thousands of innocent civilians have died and will continue to perish in unwarranted wars in the Middle East which were started on a pack of lies about weapons of mass destruction, tampons, lacy panties and so on.

But you wouldn't be the least moved will you? Of course not. You have thousands of people dying unnecessarily in the local hospitals but you did not bat an eyelid. Some people in the medicine section of this forum brushed this statistic aside and said that the numbers who died were 'not that bad' and 'acceptable' based on the total number of the populous. What a silly logic! and these are future doctors to be? Wow.

You had 1400 young innocent white girls In Rotherham who were abused, molested, plied with alcohol and drugs, raped and many murdered by a group of Pakistani muslim men for a period of more than 10 years, yet the police and social services and you just stood by idle.

Thatcher was right. There is no such thing as 'society'. It is always you thinking about yourself. It is always about you speaking in that obnoxious tone of yours over everyone else's. It is always about you talking and talking and talking without bothering to listen to what the other party has to say. It is always about you and what you want. It is always about you wanting to be on benefits and cheating the system. The list goes on and on and on and on.

Original post by lecafe88
Tuition fees expensive? I thought their feels were quite manageable compared to other London unis, take the management course (17040) for example for International students, it's like £3600 cheaper per annum that UCLs management science course (20700). Although it is true that the LSE campus is quite turd compared to UCL, I think LSE is reasonably good value for money.

Why should it matter if the tuition fees are expensive or affordable? What difference does it make? Most of you don't pay up your tuition loans anyway. The government has had to continuously write-off those debts for you and all this while you continue to live off of benefits and what not when clearly, you don't need them but you apply for them simply because its free and 'everyone else is doing it so why shouldn't I'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/tuition-fees-three-quarters-of-students-wont-be-able-to-pay-off-their-debt-9866446.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10747315/Six-in-10-students-will-have-their-debts-written-off.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-26688018

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/lost-student-loans-worth-5bn-are-written-off-8969066.html

but shhhhhhhhhhhh! the elections are just around the corner. so lets just slide all these under the carpet until after the elections, shall we?

It's either the Tories get re-elected and you will see the economy plunge even further and further into the mud. or Labour gets a chance to inflict more damage. I suppose those 13 years under Blair/Brown wasn't enough, was it?

Once I rushed home from school after History lesson and asked my Scottish grandfather why the teacher had said that the British had an empire so vast and huge and the sun would never set. and my dear grandfather replied that this was because God would never trust the British in the dark.
Original post by Vanessa Leah
I am not from LSE and would never consider applying to that institution. Go have a look on their youtube page and watch the uploaded videos of lecture sessions. You have all these 'prominent' MPs and lecturers giving lectures where frankly, its content do not have any substance. Their speech delivery is nothing fancy, I've heard mothers on the playground speak better. Also, I have seen better lecturers who are not British themselves but breathe and live British politics and history and can deliver lectures with substance without looking at scripts or books or power-point slides.

If you ask me, people merely apply to LSE for the so called 'brand name' and 'reputation'. If you think you are going to be recipients of wonderful, thought provoking lectures then please continue dreaming. LSE can conduct as many crowdsurfing initiatives, lectures with 'prominent' guests speaking and all that jazz. But all these will never change what's happening in the real world.

Blair is still giving guest speeches all over the world for a hefty fee and all this while British soldiers and hundreds and thousands of innocent civilians have died and will continue to perish in unwarranted wars in the Middle East which were started on a pack of lies about weapons of mass destruction, tampons, lacy panties and so on.

But you wouldn't be the least moved will you? Of course not. You have thousands of people dying unnecessarily in the local hospitals but you did not bat an eyelid. Some people in the medicine section of this forum brushed this statistic aside and said that the numbers who died were 'not that bad' and 'acceptable' based on the total number of the populous. What a silly logic! and these are future doctors to be? Wow.

You had 1400 young innocent white girls In Rotherham who were abused, molested, plied with alcohol and drugs, raped and many murdered by a group of Pakistani muslim men for a period of more than 10 years, yet the police and social services and you just stood by idle.

Thatcher was right. There is no such thing as 'society'. It is always you thinking about yourself. It is always about you speaking in that obnoxious tone of yours over everyone else's. It is always about you talking and talking and talking without bothering to listen to what the other party has to say. It is always about you and what you want. It is always about you wanting to be on benefits and cheating the system. The list goes on and on and on and on.

Why should it matter if the tuition fees are expensive or affordable? What difference does it make? Most of you don't pay up your tuition loans anyway. The government has had to continuously write-off those debts for you and all this while you continue to live off of benefits and what not when clearly, you don't need them but you apply for them simply because its free and 'everyone else is doing it so why shouldn't I'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/tuition-fees-three-quarters-of-students-wont-be-able-to-pay-off-their-debt-9866446.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10747315/Six-in-10-students-will-have-their-debts-written-off.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-26688018

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/lost-student-loans-worth-5bn-are-written-off-8969066.html

but shhhhhhhhhhhh! the elections are just around the corner. so lets just slide all these under the carpet until after the elections, shall we?

It's either the Tories get re-elected and you will see the economy plunge even further and further into the mud. or Labour gets a chance to inflict more damage. I suppose those 13 years under Blair/Brown wasn't enough, was it?

Once I rushed home from school after History lesson and asked my Scottish grandfather why the teacher had said that the British had an empire so vast and huge and the sun would never set. and my dear grandfather replied that this was because God would never trust the British in the dark.

My dad asked that question - not me!.

What do you want to happen then?

What if I told you that my dad was the son of a miner who endured terrible hardship during the Miners' strike when Thatcher ripped apart the British coal industry?
As it happens my father is actually on benefits - he is on ESA because he isn't well enough to work. He had never claimed benefits in his 30 odd years of work and he had to give up a good job/career because his health is failing. He is disabled and has hardly any quality of life.

You carry on ranting and tilting at windmills!
Reply 6

I really have no idea how any of this is relevant to the issues that the protestors want resolved, other than the quality of lectures (on which I frankly can't comment on as I am not studying there yet). Seems like you just like to rant about random stuff.
Original post by Chr0n
I really have no idea how any of this is relevant to the issues that the protestors want resolved, other than the quality of lectures (on which I frankly can't comment on as I am not studying there yet). Seems like you just like to rant about random stuff.

anyone that disagrees with you is labelled as some who 'just like to rant about random stuff'. Why don't you just focus on getting a place at LSE? and while you're at it, be frank with yourself and try to pay off the student loan rather than let the government foot the bill for you later on?
Reply 8
anyone that disagrees with you is labelled as some who 'just like to rant about random stuff'.

Not at all! I just don't see what Blair giving speeches and people dying in wars have to do with whether LSE raises their tuition fees or the quality of their teaching. But I am happy for you to illuminate this link.

Why don't you just focus on getting a place at LSE? and while you're at it, be frank with yourself and try to pay off the student loan rather than let the government foot the bill for you later on?

I already have a place at LSE, thank you very much. I am also paying my own tuition fees, funded through a private bank loan.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chr0n
Not at all! I just don't see what Blair giving speeches and people dying in wars have to do with whether LSE raises their tuition fees or the quality of their teaching. But I am happy for you to illuminate this link.

I already have a place at LSE, thank you very much. I am also paying my own tuition fees, funded through a private bank loan.

you would think that with all the initiatives and dialogue sessions that are conducted in LSE, it would translate into positive changes for the country but frankly everything has come to naught. so if anything its just a whole load of hot air.

yes, please do pay your tuition fees because in time to come, if you abscond from the UK, default on your repayments or disappear totally, as many of your predecessors have done so valiantly in the past then just remember that all those years ago when you stepped into LSE for the very first day [which could be this year or next], that first footstep of yours was more than just a simple act of movement.

That footstep forward into the grounds of LSE, technically deprived some other genuine person, a place at the university who probably possessed equal or better grades than you but more importantly, had the funds to pay back the bank loan. I hope you bear this in mind.

That footstep forward into the grounds of LSE, technically deprived some other genuine person, a place at the university who probably possessed equal or better grades than you but more importantly, had the funds to pay back the bank loan. I hope you bear this in mind.

You didn't answer my post?

Oh and I am a genuine person with excellent grades who has worked bloody hard to get a place at LSE. Neither my family or I have the funds to pay my fees at LSE without using the Student Finance Company but I fully intend to pay my debt off as soon as possible, once I graduate and start earning.
... but I fully intend to pay my debt off as soon as possible, once I graduate and start earning.

that's what they all say don't they?
that's what they all say don't they?

So how are you going to fund your way through University then?
So how are you going to fund your way through University then?

and here I was thinking you would never ask :tongue:

After my A levels I will work for a number of years to save up and then pay my way through university. I have never believed in the concept of borrowing. and yes, my parents have offered to pay for me first and then have me pay it back to them later on. But I rather strike it out on my own and finance the degree myself

The last thing I would want to do is have the government write off my student loan debt which I am unable to pay for in subsequent years or deprive a worthy student of a university place who has the financial means to pay off the said student loans.

you wouldn't understand where I'm coming from because its probably foreign to you and I don't expect you to.
and here I was thinking you would never ask :tongue:

After my A levels I will work for a number of years to save up and then pay my way through university. I have never believed in the concept of borrowing. and yes, my parents have offered to pay for me first and then have me pay it back to them later on. But I rather strike it out on my own and finance the degree myself

The last thing I would want to do is have the government write off my student loan debt which I am unable to pay for in subsequent years or deprive a worthy student of a university place who has the financial means to pay off the said student loans.

you wouldn't understand where I'm coming from because its probably foreign to you and I don't expect you to.

You just love making general statements and wild assumptions about people you have never met. :rolleyes:

Come on then, I will bite! Please tell me how you are going to save up the £27K that you will need for your tuition fees and the approximately £30K that you will need to pay for your accommodation and living costs for the three years you are at University? What job will you be getting after your A Levels? It will have to be some job for you to save over £50K? Most people work all their lives and still never manage to accrue savings of over £50K - but you feel confident that you can?
Original post by Chr0n

Original post by Chr0n

Clearly you lack analytic skills. You obviously have problems in dotting the i's and crossing the t's. You might want to check if LSE offers some sort of crash course in critical thinking? I can only think that your written essays are bland and predictable, just like episodes of soap operas? You can't think out of the box can you?

You know the more you say, the more I can't help but feel that you might have just deprived someone else who's intellectually worthy of a place at LSE - nevermind the fact that there might be a possibility that you abscond from the UK altogether or default from repaying the student loan.

You just love making general statements and wild assumptions about people you have never met. :rolleyes:

Most people work all their lives and still never manage to accrue savings of over £50K - but you feel confident that you can?

If I have made an assertion, you are more than welcome to respond with a refutation. I am all ears (in this case 'eyes').

I don't wish to shed light on my future job plans because clearly, you have a confidence issue. Only you can help yourself. You need to start thinking out of the box.
Reply 16
Clearly you lack analytic skills. You obviously have problems in dotting the i's and crossing the t's. You might want to check if LSE offers some sort of crash course in critical thinking? I can only think that your written essays are bland and predictable, just like episodes of soap operas? You can't think out of the box can you?

You know the more you say, the more I can't help but feel that you might have just deprived someone else who's intellectually worthy of a place at LSE - nevermind the fact that there might be a possibility that you abscond from the UK altogether or default from repaying the student loan.

So you cannot think of a connection or yourself and instead revert to personal attacks? How grown up of you. I am sure your future professors will be delighted with your argumentative skills. :rolleyes:
Original post by Chr0n
So you cannot think of a connection or yourself and instead revert to personal attacks? How grown up of you. I am sure your future professors will be delighted with your argumentative skills. :rolleyes:

Just ensure that you don't default on your student loans will you? Now I have plenty to do. Run along now.
Reply 18
Just ensure that you don't default on your student loans will you? Now I have plenty to do. Run along now.

Haha. Haven't laughed so hard in ages! Thanks for that. You are the born troll :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending