The Student Room Group

Masters funding in the U.S.... any ideas?

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to complete a Master of Laws (LLM) in the U.S. next year, and funding is going to be a real issue.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding external financial aid (only one university that offered me a place offered me aid).

Unfortunately I didn't make it through the Fulbright selection process, and I have just submitted an application for the BUNAC scholarship.

Any thoughts whatsoever would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Patrick
Reply 1
Hi,

That's great that you've applied for our BEST scholarship programme, we will be in touch after the closing date 31st March 2015.

For others considering our BEST scholarship to undertake postgraduate study in the USA or Canada you can find out more info here.

BUNAC TRAVEL INTERNSHIP
There's still time to enter our Travel Internship competition, it's easy to enter just simply answer 3 simple questions!
Original post by pftodd
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to complete a Master of Laws (LLM) in the U.S. next year, and funding is going to be a real issue.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding external financial aid (only one university that offered me a place offered me aid).

Unfortunately I didn't make it through the Fulbright selection process, and I have just submitted an application for the BUNAC scholarship.

Any thoughts whatsoever would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Patrick

I don't really know how LLMs work, but do you have a particular area of study or research? Sometimes scholarly societies or historical societies have funds available to those doing research in a particular area. However, there's no way they'd be enough to cover LLM tuition. Not to be too disheartening I hope, but I suspect you will not find much out there...professional qualifications are rarely supported by fellowships/scholarships.

Your best bet would be to look really hard at what kind of work is available on the campuses of the universities you have been accepted to. At my university, for instance, it's relatively easy to get a Graduate Assistantship. Some of these come with a certain number of credits tuition remission (usually halving your tuition bill) as well as a stipend. It may be hard to organize something like this from afar but I would try if I were you. I would Look for your school's Graduate Student Association page for links to available jobs...the Law school may also have its own grad assistantship and employment page
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by madamemerle
I don't really know how LLMs work, but do you have a particular area of study or research? Sometimes scholarly societies or historical societies have funds available to those doing research in a particular area. However, there's no way they'd be enough to cover LLM tuition. Not to be too disheartening I hope, but I suspect you will not find much out there...professional qualifications are rarely supported by fellowships/scholarships.

Your best bet would be to look really hard at what kind of work is available on the campuses of the universities you have been accepted to. At my university, for instance, it's relatively easy to get a Graduate Assistantship. Some of these come with a certain number of credits tuition remission (usually halving your tuition bill) as well as a stipend. It may be hard to organize something like this from afar but I would try if I were you. I would Look for your school's Graduate Student Association page for links to available jobs...the Law school may also have its own grad assistantship and employment page

Thanks very much! I've asked some current Chicago students and the general answer is that they have no time to get jobs.. But your advice is great -- a graduate assistantship would be ideal.
Original post by pftodd
Thanks very much! I've asked some current Chicago students and the general answer is that they have no time to get jobs.. But your advice is great -- a graduate assistantship would be ideal.

Sure, it's busy, as any type of grad work is, but a)assistantships are usually flexible as to when you do your hours, and b) you're in charge of when you study, you're not in a job with mandated hours, apart from class-time, so you can juggle your schedule to fit work in. If that means studying from 6pm to 10pm every night, it may be worth it to get the degree? Plenty of my fellow PhD students will tell you they're too busy to have a job too...but that's just a matter of what they're prioritizing. TBH, I love my grad assistanship, which I do in addition to my PhD work and teaching three classes a week, because it lets me focus on something totally different to what I do all of the rest of the time and because I get to meet and spend time with people outside my department and program; it's essential to my mental health, so in addition to giving me a bit of extra money, it helps me feel part of the uni community and I value that a lot. It's worth shuffling my research to odd hours for.

I imagine an LLM is more like a typical academic grad degree than law school. So, a three course load per semester would be usual. Which means a 6 - 9 hour time commitment each week, the rest is yours to organize as you please!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending