The Student Room Group

Is this FY1 rotation a bad idea?

I'm ranking my jobs tonight and I can't seem to come to a decision.

Basically my top choice rotation will either be:

Intensive care/Psychiatry/HDU or

Medicine/Surgery/Intensive care.

I was surprised to see the first one as a rotation as I thought we were required to do medicine and surgery?

I'm really stumped on which to pick, throughout medical school I've always wanted to do anaesthetics but I'm worried I'll be at a disadvantage overall having not done medicine and surgery.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!
Intensive care and HDU? As an F1, I always got the impression that being on any high dependency ward meant that you were a glorified medical student. Better to have those jobs in F2 when you've got a bit of experience under your belt.

And don't worry about surgery. Psychosurgery innit, will be more than enough.
Personally I think general medicine/surgery are the foundation of all specialties and it will serve you well in the future. ITU/HDU rotations are great for procedures and learning about the extremes of physiology and treatment of critically ill patients but outside the HDU/ITU setting it's probably not going to be particularly helpful. Gen med/surg is the bread and butter and in my humble opinion is worth getting to grips with as a foundation doctor.
You will likely be a far better doctor for doing the second set. The first set will probably leave you a bit behind your colleagues as you are very protected on ICU/HDU, and do very little clinical work on psych. It'll be a culture shock coming out of that to a general medical/surgical job as an F2.
I can't imagine you'll be on call covering ITU and HDU, so there is a risk that these will be unbanded jobs (which as well as having financial significance, means you'll have less on-the-ground experience than your peers), or you may have on-call commitments in general medicine or general surgery as part of these jobs (I did a similar arrangement in my first FY1 job in paeds where I did my on calls in adult surgery).

It's worth talking to the foundation school to see if you can find out which of these arrangements the jobs come with if you can. If you can't find out any more than you currently know, then in your situation I think I'd play it safe and pick the second job.

Hope that helps!
I'm very surprised the foundation school can allow an F1 to complete a year without any general medicine or general surgery. I agree with the above, it's worth checking with them to see if there are any on call commitments with the first set of rotations - there must be. Either occasional on calls or blocks away from ICU/HDU.

Intensive care is often supernumary as an F1 but teaches lots of important skills - practical as well as systematically reviewing unwell patients which is a skill most FY1s don't get "taught". A year of Med/Surg/ICU is one I'd take if it were me personally, especially if the ICU job is last.
Surely the HDU job is one of those medical or surgical wards with an 'HDU' bay, or a specific HDU unit belonging to a department, otherwise I can't see how there could be a job with no medicine or surgery (I was under the impression you needed 4 months of each!).

Definitely the second one out of those two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Agree with the above. I did an ITU job in F1 which I loved but I would have been underskilled had I done too much of it (or any job where I was supernumerary).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending