The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

can I be accepted if rejected from Man Uni?

undefinedHiya, I got rejected from Manchester University for a psychology degree, I know its a popular course, but I did send my application off at September. Manchester asked for ABB, and I think I could get that. But my teachers didn't listen, they predicted me last year as BCC. Therefore I think thats why I got rejected from Manchester :frown:

Anyway now Ive chosen Manchester Met as my firm option and I dont want to go there. Also now Im predicted AAB in my subjects, because in January I retook most of my AS subjects and got A's for all them. So it really upsets me now, I have the potential to get good grades which Manchester wanted and I cant cos Ive been rejected cos of my stupid teachers.

Any way cut the story short, can I still go to Manchester University and do a psychology Bsc degreein 2004, even though I had been previously rejected???

I was thinking of seeing if they had any places left on results day, but psychology is a very popular subject.

Also if they do want ABB, would AAC be accepted???

Please let me know, thank you. Love BlueAngel :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BlueAngel
undefinedHiya, I got rejected from Manchester University for a psychology degree, I know its a popular course, but I did send my application off at September. Manchester asked for ABB, and I think I could get that. But my teachers didn't listen, they predicted me last year as BCC. Therefore I think thats why I got rejected from Manchester :frown:

Anyway now Ive chosen Manchester Met as my firm option and I dont want to go there. Also now Im predicted AAB in my subjects, because in January I retook most of my AS subjects and got A's for all them. So it really upsets me now, I have the potential to get good grades which Manchester wanted and I cant cos Ive been rejected cos of my stupid teachers.

Any way cut the story short, can I still go to Manchester University and do a psychology Bsc degreein 2004, even though I had been previously rejected???

I was thinking of seeing if they had any places left on results day, but psychology is a very popular subject.

i would very much doubt that you would be admitted for 2004 entry, because (as you say) it is a popular course.

Remember that the whole point of offers is a numbers balancing exercise to fill places - if Manchester have any 'spare places'
i.e. people who make offers < places they want filled, the course will simply be offered to people who have been given offers who narrowly miss them.

If I were you, I would get a job/go travelling for a year and reapply for 2005 entry - why go to Manchester Met? Why have milk when you can have cream? Why do I keep using cheesy syllogisms? - ah well
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I understand what you are saying and thank you for the reply, but should I still try and wait for the results day and then if I have ABB ring them up???

No offence to those who are at Manchester Met, but Ive heard the psychology course there isnt any good, and they are only asking for CCC, and I already have that. If I can get better grades than C's, Im not wrong am I to aim high and go to a better uni. My mates all think Im daft, but a good university is highly respected.

Does anyone know if they would accept me even with AAC?
Reply 3
Apologies but I have to be blunt, I sincerely doubt they would take you. Even if they had a place for some reason, they could probably take an AAA/AAAA student. But you are right there's no harm in ringing them.
I never knew they were that snotty and strict, you have to be a stright A student to get to manchester.
They probabaly only accept private schoolers, :mad: :mad:

Thye sure know how to put a student down :frown:
Reply 5
Manchester will appcept you with AAC but it maybe not on that course, you might be better of doing clearing. Have you checked the subject teaching and research scores for that subject at Manchester Met? If its good for that subject then don't let the fact its a poly put you off.
Reply 6
BlueAngel
I never knew they were that snotty and strict, you have to be a stright A student to get to manchester.

Woah woah woah. No. I'm probably being harsh. Straight As, probably yes. Private school, no.Worth a try, but if not you do have other options as somebody else mentioned above.
Reply 7
Manchester for your course has 25 points average point score for entry and Manchester met is 17. Manchester Met is ranked 57th so its not the worst. AAC Is about 25 points so you may have a chance if you get AAC.

However in terms of getting a job Manchester seems to score very badly for pyscology where as Manchester Met does slightly better. This is based on the raw figures supplied by the Times from the years 2001-2002.
yeah i have looked into this and Manchester got for research 5 out of 5, whereas Man met got 3a out of 5.
Also Man met is 57th, which is quite low, and Manchester is in the top 20.

25 points??? Ive never heard of points, only grade. What are these points and is general studies included, cos im getting B for that and I got key skills level 3 communications.
Clearing does sound good, but I only want to do psychology. DAMN i wish it wasnt such a popular course :mad:
If you just want to go to a better university- have you considered UCAS Extra?

Durham has "applied psychology" in UCAS Extra
Reply 11
BlueAngel
yeah i have looked into this and Manchester got for research 5 out of 5, whereas Man met got 3a out of 5.
Also Man met is 57th, which is quite low, and Manchester is in the top 20.

25 points??? Ive never heard of points, only grade. What are these points and is general studies included, cos im getting B for that and I got key skills level 3 communications.

Points are pre curriculem(sp) 2000 10 points is 1 A so 20 points is AA. 26 points is AAC.

I guess your answer depends how much you want to study in Manchester. I would say don't disregard Manchester Met just because its an ex poly however in this case the statistics do point against the Manchester Met especialy the dismal 3 points score for research.

I would probaby think you would be better of doing it else where outside Manchester if you cannot get into the proper Manc university. There is also Salford but I am pretty sure they don't do pyscology and if they do its certainly not one of their better subject areas.
I want to stay at home though, I dont wnat to get a loan and be in debt and i cant afford the accomadation. I live in manchester, so that wud be appropriate, ugh Im limited so badly.
I do not wnat to wake up 5 0 clock everyday in the morining and travel far away.
thank you all anyway for the replys, you have helped me lots.
I will just wait until results day and if I do good, i will ring them up or just go to Man met :frown:
heya, if you've put man met as your first choice and u get the grades you are contracted to go there unless you pull out of the ucas process now - you can only use the clearing process if you don't get into your first or insurance choices
Reply 15
You can ask them nicely to withdraw your offer once you've got it. Then you're eligible for clearing.
Reply 16
Have you considered taking a year out? If you stay at home and get a job you can quite easily make a profit on this. If you get strait As I would do this if I where you (even though next year will be more competitive (due to people not wanting to pay top up fees).

Either way, you will have to wait until results day.
I dont really want to take a year out, and If i do get strait A's and manchester dont have any places, then I will :mad: cry

Will UCAS website show all the courses in each University that have places left on results day for Alevels???
Reply 18
BlueAngel

I am sorry to hear that blueAngel.
I think once you put down Manchester Met as your Firm you cannot decline it afterwards, But i am not sure. You should ask your teachers about this.
Reply 19
BlueAngel

The private school v state school ratio is about 1:4.

Latest

Trending

Trending