The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The lists that have been posted for LSE and Trinity College, Cambridge should give you a good idea. Those are the only unis that officially care about subjects, but I suspect most top unis share the same opinions, especially for more competitive subjects where they need to find ways to narrow down the number of applicants. Basically, if you're applying to a top uni, stick to the traditional subjects with a maximum of one newer or vocational subject to make sure you don't limit your chances, but don't take a subject you won't enjoy just because it's respected, don't not take a subject you love just because it isn't respected and don't worry too much because, as devilbunny said, some people do make it to top courses at top unis with non-traditional A-levels. I agree that I would have put philosophy, classical civilisations and art history in B rather than A2. As for English language, I'm not sure why it's less respected than literature other than because it's a newer A-level. With ICT though, yes ICT skills are essential in the modern world, but I think the point is that you don't need an A-level, or even a GCSE, to know how to use a computer.

To the OP: You have 3 subjects in A1, 1 in A2 and 1 in either A2 or B depending on whether your English is language or literature, so you'll be fine.
Reply 21
No mam, those are Scottish Highers, a much cooler yet less known qualy. The conditions you just wrote may hence be slightly altered, given English unis preference for AH over Higher.
Reply 22
kellywood_5
With ICT though, yes ICT skills are essential in the modern world, but I think the point is that you don't need an A-level, or even a GCSE, to know how to use a computer.

Which is complete bull**** though, ICT at A-Level has nothing what so ever to do with hardware, or even software...I would bet my life on 9/10 A level IT students not knowing how to identify every part of a computer's internals.
To whoever neg repped me I never said that what I said was correct. I just said from what I've seen.
Reply 24
dd1989
Which is complete bull**** though, ICT at A-Level has nothing what so ever to do with hardware, or even software...I would bet my life on 9/10 A level IT students not knowing how to identify every part of a computer's internals.

No need to swear DD haha............busted. English Language is a science too! Convince me that it's not u rebels :P
BloodBrother
No mam, those are Scottish Highers, a much cooler yet less known qualy. The conditions you just wrote may hence be slightly altered, given English unis preference for AH over Higher.

You're only applying to one English uni though and you're taking 2 AHs, so you never know. The fact that they're Highers instead of AS levels doesn't make the subjects any less impressive. Some unis accept 2 AS levels in place of a 3rd A-level, so maybe they'd accept 2 Highers in place of a 3rd AH?
Reply 26
PQ
Leeds, Sussex, Southampton, Canterbury, Sheffield, Essex, Lancaster, Loughborough, Manchester, Birmingham, Aberystwyth, Swansea, Keele and Leicester all accept it for some subjects (although only usually as a full A level and not just as an AS).

And that's just the older universities - if you include newer universities then it's even more widely accepted.

Also, my head of 6th form's husband worked at the history department at York, and I'm sure I remember her saying they accept General Studies there too, as part of high offers in one of the most reputable departments in the country.
Reply 27
So does anyone think Ill get rejected or no from Manchester? what about the rest?
Reply 28
I'm perhaps biased, as I did it, but Theatre Studies is 60% writing (at least, the one I did was). So 60% of critical analysis of plays and of theatrical history and theory is a soft subject how? I think it's important to categorise Theatre Studies (which more often than not is laid out as I described) and Drama (which is more or less wholly practical) differently.
York do accept general studies for some subjects including mine (history of art) but not all (including english), so check carefully.

I heard someone say that Cambridge's preferred subject list was a form of "dog whistling" for independent schools. Bit like the Tories talking about immigration at the last election (when the BNP/independent party "dogs" heard they were talking about racism but no one else noticed). The idea is that lots of less famous independent schools are struggling with competition/numbers and Cambridge was giving them some support without being heard to do so. You can do the A list iof subjects n any independent school sixth form (no matter how small). The B & C list are mainly to be found in state schools and sixth form colleges (the latter offer lots more choice and are hitting independent schools hard in some areas).

Now this could be just mischievous anti-cambridge anti-independent school rubbish. interested to know what you all think...
BloodBrother
So does anyone think Ill get rejected or no from Manchester? what about the rest?

Well, what are the entry requirements?
peachmelba
York do accept general studies for some subjects including mine (history of art) but not all (including english), so check carefully.

I heard someone say that Cambridge's preferred subject list was a form of "dog whistling" for independent schools. Bit like the Tories talking about immigration at the last election (when the BNP/independent party "dogs" heard they were talking about racism but no one else noticed). The idea is that lots of less famous independent schools are struggling with competition/numbers and Cambridge was giving them some support without being heard to do so. You can do the A list iof subjects n any independent school sixth form (no matter how small). The B & C list are mainly to be found in state schools and sixth form colleges (the latter offer lots more choice and are hitting independent schools hard in some areas).

Now this could be just mischievous anti-cambridge anti-independent school rubbish. interested to know what you all think...

Actually, I do see where you're coming from with that. Most independent and grammar schools pride themselves on only offering 'traditional' subjects, so you wouldn't find many from B and C. At the same time, you wouldn't find some A1 subjects (classical civilisation, art history, Latin, Greek, possibly Italian) at most state schools.

Latest

Trending

Trending