The Student Room Group

Woman who slapped her daughter at a concert is CONVICTED of assault.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Déscartés
It's not ignorance if getting slapped made him a better person and so he believes it can do the same for a misbehaving child.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is because there is no objective proof that it made him a better person, whether it would have the same effect on the other children, whether it would have the same effect on adults, whether there are more effective ways to make children better etc there are loads of reasons, hitting a child is mostly based on traditions of what your parents did.

Original post by StrangeBanana
2/10

Decent troll initially, just desperate at this point

You just pulled the troll card, an official admission of losing the debate by trying to silence someone with an ambiguous insult.
Original post by Koffing
You just pulled the troll card, an official admission of losing the debate by trying to silence someone with an ambiguous insult.

>mrw someone who said women have the same mental capacity as children says I've lost the "debate"

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Koffing
The reasoning for hitting someone is honestly irrelevant. Jeremy Clarkson probably thought he had good intentions when he attacked that guy. Its assault and illegal in our society.

What you're experiencing is a form of Stockholm Syndrome, you think because you were hit that other children should recieve the same, its ignorant.

No, reasoning is very relevant. Giving your mate a slap across the face to get him out of a shocked state is perfectly justified. Ignoring context is never productive.

Clarkson hit the guy because he was mad his food wasn't hot, of course he didn't have good intentions, what are you on about?

Didn't know you were a qualified psychiatrist capable of making a snap-diagnosis based on 3 internet posts. :rolleyes: And you have the audacity to even use the word "ignorant"
Reply 63
>mrw someone who said women have the same mental capacity as children says I've lost the "debate"

See, now you're resorting to outright liying and posting reaction images, you have no rational argument
Original post by Koffing
See, now you're resorting to outright liying and posting reaction images, you have no rational argument

You implied it, don't be anal
Reply 65
You implied it, don't be anal

No, I implied women can misbehave and be as irrational as a child, its true, and the same applies to men. I was drawing comparisons of the way people would treat the problem based on age.

No, reasoning is very relevant. Giving your mate a slap across the face to get him out of a shocked state is perfectly justified. Ignoring context is never productive.

Clarkson hit the guy because he was mad his food wasn't hot, of course he didn't have good intentions, what are you on about?

Didn't know you were a qualified psychiatrist capable of making a snap-diagnosis based on 3 internet posts. :rolleyes: And you have the audacity to even use the word "ignorant"

compare to;

Again, incredibly simplistic view of the relationship

Parents (most of them) are trying as hard as they can to make sure their children grow up to be the best people they can. Sometimes, giving a kid a slap for misbehaving seems like the most efficient option to take to teach them that their actions were unacceptable.

Ultimately, this thing has been blown out of proportion; I got plenty of slaps when I was younger, didn't have any lasting impact at all apart from teaching me not to be a git

Can you hit your mate when he misbehaves?
Original post by keromedic
I felt the actions of the parent were unreasonable.

That vid in your sig... :lolwut:....so confused.
Original post by Koffing
compare to;

No, answer the points

'Til you do the discussion's over, I've humoured you enough
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 68
No, answer the points

'Til you do the discussion's over, I've humoured you enough

You don't have a point, slapping someone in a catatonic state is not the same as slapping someone for misbehvaing. (and also it isn't considered the correct way to treat catatonia, if a doctor did that they'd lose their job.
I don't know if we're being given the whole story here, as this is the Daily Mail.

But it's shocking to read through this thread and see some people saying that smacking a child is never acceptable and should even get a prison sentence. Smacking is a perfectly reasonable form of discipline and is sometimes necessary. For god's sake, use some common sense.
Original post by Koffing
and you're being ageist, children are humans too

Yes. Very young humans who are often unreasonable at times and therefore do not always respond to discipline methods used for adults.
Reply 71
Original post by RFowler
Yes. Very young humans who are often unreasonable at times and therefore do not always respond to discipline methods used for adults.

Are you implying adults respond to being told off better than children? They don't, children are far more submissive than the average adult.
Getting a prison sentence for disciplining an unruly child, lel. This place has gone crazy.
Reply 73

You did. Rather than unpicking Koffing's argument and explaining why it's wrong, you just laughed at it, twice in two comments. My theory is that you are someone who lacks patience or mental stamina, which would explain why you fail to try to explain things which are hard to do so, making it impossible for you to 'win any debate'. Ironically, my theory explains why you also side with it being correct to hit children; it's because you know from your own experience that hitting children is an easier/quicker option, in that it doesn't require the patience of explaining to them why their actions are wrong.

Original post by Koffing
It is because there is no objective proof that it made him a better person, whether it would have the same effect on the other children, whether it would have the same effect on adults, whether there are more effective ways to make children better etc there are loads of reasons, hitting a child is mostly based on traditions of what your parents did.

The thing I would disagree with you about is that there is no proof for a lot of things you do in daily life, you just judge from experience, mainly following tradition and trialling a few things as you go along, which is not a bad thing!

Unless there is proof that it didn't help then you probably shouldn't outlaw it on that basis. I do mainly have the opinion that the treatment of children should be alike to how you would treat an adult. The reality is that the one of the worst things we can do is to be violent to someone, so how can you hit a child and say it's okay, because such action is probably as bad as or worse than a child's. Unfortunately however, life is made harder by the fact that there is no real other way of punishing children, whereas as adults if we do something wrong we face the punishment of life such as not being able to eat. It's a bit harder, but worth it to teach a child a lesson without hitting them.
Original post by Maid Marian
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3025174/In-dock-mum-slapped-hysterical-eight-year-old-daughter-One-Direction-gig.html

This article made me feel very uncomfortable, so parents aren't allowed to give their children a slap or a smack, now? Ridiculous. A short, sharp shock is what some youngsters really need sometimes to realise what they've done wrong. :/

What do you think, should the woman have been convicted? Should parents be allowed to "slap and grab" to gain control of their children?

Hell no. As someone who's parents' (occasional) form of punishment was slapping/hitting I believe it is completely wrong to allow a person of authority to hit their own child. If you can not gain control over your child then you were not parenting them correctly from the start.

By physically harming your child you are telling them:
-Violence is okay.
-You can not trust your own parents.
-You can not find safety in your parents.

Try to imagine how confusing it can be for a child to be hit by the person who protects them. Every time I would be slapped I felt betrayed by the people that loved me most. It still concerns me that this is classed as punishment rather than abuse. Just as you would expect the police not to hit a criminal, you would not expect a mother to hit her child. Violence is brought from anger, and if a parent can not control their anger in front of their child then how is their child supposed to control their own torment. Hitting a child does not teach a lesson it teaches abuse.
(edited 9 years ago)
**** off a parent should be allowed to discipline their child however they like as long as they are not torturing their children. **** this degeneracy that the world is pushing on us.
Original post by RVNmax
You did. Rather than unpicking Koffing's argument and explaining why it's wrong, you just laughed at it, twice in two comments. My theory is that you are someone who lacks patience or mental stamina, which would explain why you fail to try to explain things which are hard to do so, making it impossible for you to 'win any debate'. Ironically, my theory explains why you also side with it being correct to hit children; it's because you know from your own experience that hitting children is an easier/quicker option, in that it doesn't require the patience of explaining to them why their actions are wrong.

Learn to read

Comments about "patience and mental stamina" made me chuckle; I wouldn't advise resorting to ad hominem as a matter of practice, though, most don't take very kindly to it
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by Maid Marian
Because reasoning with a child is not like reasoning with an adult. Some won't listen and some simply won't understand.

So if this was an adult who had a development issue/couldn't reason well or understand you would hit them? :/
You should raise your children like lambs, because they're the lords flock. But you need to protect them from sinners, and a responsible parent should beat their child if they in anyway go against the lords word. One direction is sinners music because most of the people who listen to them are homosexuals and people who are ill of the mind. God punished the mother for taking her child to the sinners concert, and he has also punished the child because it has sinned.
Well I'm glad to see the law finally doing something useful. I have strictly zero tolerance towards child abuse or any form of violence. We all have the right not to be assaulted, it's a basic human right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending